Depression is a bitch

spiderdj82 Profile Photospiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Depression is a bitch#1
Posted: 11/24/07 at 12:34am
What do you guys and gals do to suppress your depression, so it's not getting the best of you(Serious question so please no sarcastic answers)?
"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2
Updated On: 11/24/07 at 12:34 AM
wexy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Depression is a bitch#2
Posted: 11/24/07 at 12:38am
You can't keep it in. You have to talk about it and get it out.
I don't know what your situation is and the degree of it (Depressed about the weather, the strike or something more serious).
'Take me out tonight where's there's music and there's people and they're young and alive.'
Mythus
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Depression is a bitch#2
Posted: 11/24/07 at 12:39am
It depends on the kind of depression, for me, but there's two different ways that I banish it: doing something creative, or just...going and being around people. Going for a walk downtown, hanging out with friends...as long as I'm with people.

That's why nights are bad (not just for me, but for a lot of people, I imagine). Nothing to do, alone...your thoughts start wandering to depressing places.
YouWantitWhen???? Profile PhotoYouWantitWhen???? Profile Photo
YouWantitWhen????
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Depression is a bitch#3
Posted: 11/24/07 at 12:42am
I always found that a good workout helped, as well as eating very healthy.

Also, make sure you get lots of sunlight. There are some folks who are seasonally depressed, and the change in weather has an impact on them.

I believe there are actually lamps that folks can buy to deal with this problem for the winter time.
Phyllis Rogers Stone
Suspended
Suspended
re: Depression is a bitch#4
Posted: 11/24/07 at 12:44am
Xanax. Zoloft. Valium.
tazber Profile Phototazber Profile Photo
tazber
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Depression is a bitch#5
Posted: 11/24/07 at 12:45am
I advocate meds. Seriously, so many people suffer from depression nowadays, and there a lot of non-habit forming medicines that can help.
Call your doctor and see about it.

Personally, I watch/listen/read something escapist when I get down.
....but the world goes 'round
spiderdj82
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Depression is a bitch#6
Posted: 11/24/07 at 12:46am
There is something going on in my life that is severely effecting my depression that I don't want to make publicly known (although a few people here know about it). Unfortunately, it is not a "Sleep it off and tomorrow is a new day" kind of thing. I don't have health insurance, so medicine is out of the question. I don't think I have ever felt this bad in my entire life, so I am trying to get ideas on how to kind of work through the depression until I do get health insurance.
"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2
Updated On: 11/24/07 at 12:46 AM
SweetQintheLights
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Depression is a bitch#7
Posted: 11/24/07 at 12:48am
You have a wife, don't you? re: Depression is a bitch

Seriously though, biting a pillow (or something or the like) helps me sometimes.

Purposely, try tensing up and then slowly allow your body to relax, one part at a time allowing each part of your body to "float."

Edit: Many depression medicines now-a-days really aren't much money (even without insurance.) It can't hurt to look into it....
"How bout a little black dress?"~hannahshule "I have a penis, not a vagina." ~munkustrap178
Updated On: 11/24/07 at 12:48 AM
cturtle Profile Photocturtle Profile Photo
cturtle
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Depression is a bitch#8
Posted: 11/24/07 at 12:50am
number one: remember you are not alone.
number two: do normal things, routine things, even when you don't feel like doing them (if you can)
number three: remember you are not alone.
RIP glebby <3
Rose_MacShane Profile PhotoRose_MacShane Profile Photo
Rose_MacShane
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Depression is a bitch#9
Posted: 11/24/07 at 12:51am
Suppressing it only makes things worse. You have to confront the problem. If this is an ongoing problem, start by seeking counseling. If you've been in counseling for a while and it just isn't doing the job, look into medication. I went into counseling first, and helped me in some regards, but I still found myself unable to totally get through my issues. So I went on Paxil and it made all the difference in the world.

http://community.livejournal.com/ltd_brands_suck/
TheatreDiva90016 Profile PhotoTheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Depression is a bitch#10
Posted: 11/24/07 at 12:55am
Find someone to slap the living crap out of.

That always helps me.
"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post. <<>> -whatever2
Mamamia Sammy2 Profile PhotoMamamia Sammy2 Profile Photo
Mamamia Sammy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Depression is a bitch#11
Posted: 11/24/07 at 1:03am
Your wish is my command, most honorable master!
"I knew this was probably going to happen." - Rathnait62
Jane2 Profile PhotoJane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Depression is a bitch#12
Posted: 11/24/07 at 1:05am
I don't suffer from depression, but I do believe in medication to relieve one of any kind of pain. Who needs it?
<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES
SueleenGay Profile PhotoSueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Depression is a bitch#13
Posted: 11/24/07 at 1:10am
What do you guys and gals do to suppress your depression, so it's not getting the best of you(Serious question so please no sarcastic answers)? There is something going on in my life that is severely effecting my depression that I don't want to make publicly known (although a few people here know about it)...

Unfortunately, it is not a "Sleep it off and tomorrow is a new day" kind of thing. I don't have health insurance, so medicine is out of the question. I don't think I have ever felt this bad in my entire life, so I am trying to get ideas on how to kind of work through the depression until I do get health insurance.

The holidays, of course, can be the worst time of year for people who suffer from depression.
Money is not an excuse for not seeking professional help.

Why would you come on this board and seek the kind of advice you need to be getting from a professional? I understand you are probably not thinking very clearly right now, but just stop and think about what you are saying.
You would rather listen to a bunch of strangers tell you how to deal with a very serious issue when you don't know the first thing about us. You won't tell us what it is you are depressed over, and claim you can not get real help because you can not afford it.

Now, can you blame anyone for thinking this is nothing more than an attention seeking devise?
Even if it is not, you have to be able to see how it could be seen in that way.

Get help...call 311, go to South Carolina Dept. of Mental Health...but DON'T ASK US.

SCDMH
PEACE.
Updated On: 11/24/07 at 01:10 AM
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Depression is a bitch#14
Posted: 11/24/07 at 1:14am
I don't think I have ever felt this bad in my entire life, so I am trying to get ideas on how to kind of work through the depression until I do get health insurance.

Read this again. OUT LOUD. Then READ IT OUT LOUD TO YOUR WIFE. Then call 911 and read it to THEM OUT LOUD. You WILL get help tonight if you really want it.
PEACE.
spiderdj82
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Depression is a bitch#15
Posted: 11/24/07 at 1:15am
First off, I didn't want to get a pat on the back or whatever from anyone or even a "it will be okay." I was/am looking for people who have experienced depression to kind of give advise on how they work it out. And the only thing I have said I can't afford is medication. No where in any of posts have I said, "I have no money so I am just going to sit on my ass and feel sorry for myself." This was an honest-to-God thread to get advise on how others deal with their depression and I am very grateful for those that have given that answer. God, no wonder I don't hardly post on this website anymore. There was a time where people could just talk and not have an agenda. Apparently, those days are long gone.
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Depression is a bitch#16
Posted: 11/24/07 at 1:20am

First off, I didn't want to get a pat on the back or whatever from anyone or even a "it will be okay." I was/am looking for people who have experienced depression to kind of give advise on how they work it out. And the only thing I have said I can't afford is medication. No where in any of posts have I said, "I have no money so I am just going to sit on my ass and feel sorry for myself." This was an honest-to-God thread to get advise on how others deal with their depression and I am very grateful for those that have given that answer. God, no wonder I don't hardly post on this website anymore. There was a time where people could just talk and not have an agenda. Apparently, those days are long gone.

Now you are going to get defensive? I am being hard on you for a reason. You have a lot going for you, but you are NOT GOING TO GET THE HELP YOU NEED ON A F*CKING MESSAGE BOARD.
PEACE.
Updated On: 11/24/07 at 01:20 AM
spiderdj82
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Depression is a bitch#17
Posted: 11/24/07 at 1:23am
Look Sueleen. I am not going to argue. I wasn't looking for a therapist or whatever but kind of like a support group type deal. I appreciate the information you gave me about the SCDMH and I am sorry I snapped at you. But, I honestly wasn't looking for a miracle cure. I just wanted you to know that.
etoile
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Depression is a bitch#18
Posted: 11/24/07 at 1:25am
Wow, someone didn't get the answer they were hoping for. If you have depression, true clinical depression, you don't suppress it. You deal with it in the manner others have suggested.

Or you could just bitch out people on the board.
Rest in peace, Iflitifloat.
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Depression is a bitch#19
Posted: 11/24/07 at 1:26am
If I recall correctly, this is not the first time you have posted something like this. Am I wrong?
If I am correct, what have you done since the last time to get professional help?
PEACE.
miss pennywise Profile Photomiss pennywise Profile Photo
miss pennywise
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Depression is a bitch#20
Posted: 11/24/07 at 1:27am
Spider,

I truly believe that Sueleen is speaking from the heart. His intention is not to be critical, but to give you good, sound advice that will actually HELP you. Serious health problems cannot be addressed by strangers on a message board. Only professional assistance should be trusted.

No one is trying to chastise you. Anyone who really cares about the health of another person will encourage him to seek the help of someone who knows what they're talking about, not a bunch of people who post on a Broadway-related web site.

I hope you are able to address your concerns with a caring and trusted professional because I hate to think of you suffering so.
"Be on your guard! Jerks on the loose!"

http://www.roches.com/television/ss83kod.html

"If any relationship involves a flow chart, get out of it...FAST!"

~ Best12Bars
spiderdj82
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Depression is a bitch#21
Posted: 11/24/07 at 1:29am
To all of you in this thread . . . thank you so much for sharing your advise. If I offended anyone or seemed bitchy, I apologize. I read something the wrong way and reacted as such. Again, I apologize.
Jane2 Profile PhotoJane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Depression is a bitch#22
Posted: 11/24/07 at 1:31am
Miss P beat me to it-

I was going to say that I understand what Sueleen is saying. If you're really having as bad a time as you say, then don't waste time on a message board. Treat this as the EMERGENCY that it is, and reach out for REAL help!

I believe in tough love-it's the kind of help you get when someone cares.
<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES
~FloweryFriend~ Profile Photo~FloweryFriend~ Profile Photo
~FloweryFriend~
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Depression is a bitch#23
Posted: 11/24/07 at 1:38am
This might sound stupid, but I have a couple of songs that help me through rough times. I sit back in a chair, cry, and sing. The ones that work for me are "What a Wonderful World" (I usually use the Louis Armstrong version) and "Here Comes the Sun" (there's a great cover by Nina Simone, but the original works well, too). I agree that letting it out is preferable to keeping it all in.
I starred in a short film called Magnetic Personality. Check it out!
jrb_actor Profile Photojrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Depression is a bitch#24
Posted: 11/24/07 at 1:38am
Medication should be a last choice. I agree that one should start with things in one's life--exercise, eating well, staying active, doing things that inspire you.

The next step might be therapy--if talking with people in your life isn't enough.