Anyone here know from German WWII Nazi Memoriabilia?

Yankeefan007
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Was going through my late grandfather's boxes and found loads of Nazi memoriabilia that he must have collected during his time in the service in Hitler's Germany.

Booklets entitled Das Deutsche Lied, all 6 volumes, which I've figured out with my slight language background to be songbooks called "The German Songs of the Movement, Solider, Celebration, etc..." I believe they're from 1942 and are Winterhilfswerk (WHW) booklets.

Also found Nazi propaganda booklets from 1939 with Hitler on the cover entitled "Der Fuhrer macht Gelchichte," as well as others called "Kampf in Holland, Frankreich.." etc.

These booklets are miniscule, 2 inches x 1.5 inches, still have strings attached to them, and are in pretty great condition.

Is anyone here a collector of this stuff, or do any of you know from this kind of thing? Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where to search for value and whatnot?
Rathnait62 Profile PhotoRathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I can't imagine wanting to do anything with that stuff but burn it. Any money made off it would be worthless to me, unless perhaps given to a Jewish charity.
Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson
CapnHook Profile PhotoCapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
1) Search eBay, of course.

2) You might be a good candidate for Antiques Roadshow.

3) Get them appraised.
"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle
Yankeefan007
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Rath, I agree with you completely. Being a Jew, just looking at the swastikas and eagles on the covers make me nauseous.

Despite being vehemently opposed to Naziism, I'm a huge history buff. So finding these items were both a blessing and curse.

PS: I was rooting for Jennie Garth, too.
Updated On: 11/23/07 at 04:37 PM
LizzieCurry Profile PhotoLizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I thought Nazi memorabilia was illegal to sell on eBay.
"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt
StageManager2 Profile PhotoStageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"Being a Jew, just looking at the swastikas and eagles on the covers make me nauseous."

Did you vomit during "Springtime for Hitler"?
Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia
artscallion Profile Photoartscallion Profile Photo
artscallion
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
There's a Wiki page that talks about the Winterhilfswerk books being thank you gifts for donors to the "charity." It says they had holes punched in them so they might be hung on christmas trees.

Much as I understand the impulse to burn it, Rath, I do think it's interesting. And a valuable tool that can be used to understand the past in hopes of a better future.
WINTERHILFSWERK
Art has a double face, of expression and illusion.
Taka Profile PhotoTaka Profile Photo
Taka
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Very eloquently put, arts. As much as I hate the Nazis, I study them so as to avoid it happening again.
smartpenguin78 Profile Photosmartpenguin78 Profile Photo
smartpenguin78
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I can not stand behind the burning, but I wouldn't want to be make any money off the stuff.
I would be see if there a museum that would like it, if there is one I would donate it to them. We need to have these things in order to study and understand the rise of the Reich, without knowledge we are doomed to repeat history.
I stand corrected, you are as vapid as they say.
Taka
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Found a website that's very interested in this kinda crap: Axis History Forum. The members there aren't Nazis, but are very interested in their way of life. They can probably tell you how much it's worth.

Trust me. It isn't abnormal to be interested in Nazis according to these folks, so try your luck.
smartpenguin78 Profile Photosmartpenguin78 Profile Photo
smartpenguin78
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I think I would need to see verification before I considered someone who "isn't a nazi, but is very interested in their way of life", certainly it is possible, but there is a very fine line there.
I stand corrected, you are as vapid as they say.
SueleenGay Profile PhotoSueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Rath, I agree with you completely. Being a Jew, just looking at the swastikas and eagles on the covers make me nauseous.

Despite being vehemently opposed to Naziism, I'm a huge history buff. So finding these items were both a blessing and curse.

PS: I was rooting for Jennie Garth, too.

Way to undercut any sense of seriousness, there Yank. I am sure Hitler would have been a HUGE Dancing With the Stars fan, if he had not shot himself in the head after murdering millions of people. I wonder who he would be rooting for? Hmmmm...

Really, why would you want to destroy this bit of history? Donate it to the Holocaust Museum if nothing else.
PEACE.
Taka
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
One of the rules of the forum specifically forbid Jew bashing and Holocaust denial, so I would think that they wouldn't be Nazis. . .
SueleenGay Profile PhotoSueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
StageManager2 Profile PhotoStageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
If that doesn't make Yankeefan hurl, I don't know what will.
Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia
Yankeefan007
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Haha.

Seeing people poke fun at it, like Springtime for Hitler, doesn't bother me as much as seeing the actual memoriabilia.
YouWantitWhen???? Profile PhotoYouWantitWhen???? Profile Photo
YouWantitWhen????
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I agree, call a museum and see if it is something they would want.

Elphaba Profile PhotoElphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
so Rath and Yankee, you would rather advolcate what the Nazis did and say burn it? Hmmmm.

Being a Jew I want all of this saved, NOT burnt. It must never be forgotten, and burning documents that can add more knowledge is not the way to do it.

No acting like the Nazis did is not the way to go
It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956
Updated On: 11/23/07 at 10:06 PM
Rathnait62 Profile PhotoRathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Elphaba, that is an updated post? You, who goes around screaming at people for their grammar and spelling, are one of the worst offenders.

And I agree with donating the stuff to a Holocaust Museum.
Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson
Mamamia Sammy2 Profile PhotoMamamia Sammy2 Profile Photo
Mamamia Sammy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Barry Brown would also agree.
"I knew this was probably going to happen." - Rathnait62
Jane2 Profile PhotoJane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"Being a Jew, just looking at the swastikas and eagles on the covers make me nauseous."

Looking at that stuff makes me sick too, Yankee. But definitely don't burn it-that's just what the holocaust deniers would like us to do! It must be preserved. I'd rather see it in a museum than something like an auction house though.
<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES
Updated On: 11/23/07 at 11:55 PM
Elphaba Profile PhotoElphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Rath you are SUCH a whiny, negative twit. What in Hell does that even have to do with the subject being discussed?
And to think that when I joined BWW that I thought you were worthy of knowing.........thank God after reading enough of your posts I realized how wrong I was......and just how trivial you are.

Do you EVER stay on track???

It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956
onceadancer2 Profile Photoonceadancer2 Profile Photo
onceadancer2
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Hopefully this collection is for archival purposes or a thesis. As a historian myself I find material such as this, repulsive though it may be, to be of fascination. You might find the information or call the following places. Perhaps they can point you in the right direction:

1. Library of Congress.
2. British National Library
3. Russian National Library
4. Yivo
5. Museum of Jewish Jerutage
6. Jewish Museum in Washington, D.C.
7. Smithsonian.

You might also want to write to the German State Library in Berlin or the Austrian State Library. There is asso a new Jewish museum in Vienna that might prove useful. You could also write to Yad Vashem in Israel.

Good luck on your expedition!

Miriam

Every movement has a meaning--but what the hell does it mean!
Updated On: 11/24/07 at 01:06 PM
Defying_Gravity_Girl Profile PhotoDefying_Gravity_Girl Profile Photo
Defying_Gravity_Girl
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
You could also look into the Checkpoint Charlie Museum in Berlin. They would probably be very interested.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

www.writersinlove.com
Yankeefan007
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm looking into various museums and/or other places to donate the material. It's very interesting to actually see what I learned about in Hebrew school so many years ago.

Onceadancer, I made mention in my post that I found it in my late grandfather's affects, with his other WW2 and service memoriabilia.