Anyone like operas?

Taka Profile PhotoTaka Profile Photo
Taka
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Anyone like operas?#1
Posted: 11/21/07 at 11:40am
I love operas almost as much as I love musicals. The first operetta that I ever listened to was "The Pirates of Penzance", and I loved it immediately. Then came my taste in Richard Wagner operas and "Die Lustige Witwe". My favorite Wagnerian operas are "Tristan und Isolde", "Lohengrin", "Die Meistersinger von Nurnberg", "Reinzi", and
"Parsifal". Wow. That's a lot of them, I just realized!

"Carmen"'s ok, if only for the part of Carmen, and "Aida" is full of WIN!

So, what kind of operas do you like?
SonofMammaMiaSam Profile PhotoSonofMammaMiaSam Profile Photo
SonofMammaMiaSam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Anyone like operas?#2
Posted: 11/21/07 at 11:42am
Hi Corine!
MannyCotty
Understudy
Understudy
re: Anyone like operas?#2
Posted: 11/21/07 at 11:44am
Wow...that much Wagner. I had to leave Parsifal at the Met after 4 hours, it was too much Wagner for me.

I'm a big Mozart fan. Figaro is the perfect opera in my opinion. Also Don Giovanni and Cosi comprise the three great operas written by Mozart and DaPonte.

If you have a chance to pick up the Peter Sellars (not the actor, the director) version of those three on DVD, you won't be disappointed. Figaro takes place in Trump Tower, and Don Giovanni and Leporello are played by actual identical twins, which makes it wonderful to watch.

Im also a big fan of contemporary opera, I adore Menotti's work, especially the perennial Amahl and the Night Visitors as well as his other works (Saint of Bleecker Street, The Consul, The MEDIUM ).

Also Jake Heggie wrote a masterful adaptation of DEAD MAN WALKING which is triumphantly glorious and heartbreaking.

There are many others of course, Mark Adamo's Little Women is superior to the musical in every single way.

I love G&S too, have you heard Patience?
Taka
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Anyone like operas?#3
Posted: 11/21/07 at 11:44am
Don't tell me that you're accusing me of being a sock puppet, too.

Let's keep the conversation positive here. I honestly don't want to cause more conflict than I already caused. I joined this site to make friends who were as interested in Broadway as I am, not to have my integrity insulted.

In case you honestly thought I was Corine, though, I am not Corine. I'd be happy to be friends with you, though.
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Anyone like operas?#4
Posted: 11/21/07 at 11:46am
I positively hate opera.

Have you run out of people to try to make friends in the real world? Is this your last resort?
Can you hear me now? Twitter: @NamoInExile
Taka
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Anyone like operas?#5
Posted: 11/21/07 at 11:48am
I have plenty of real-world friends, Namo. I just got off the phone with one. I'd just like to make more, that's all.

I say that we put our differences behind us, call it a truce, and be friends ourselves. Maybe I could learn something or two. God knows I need it. :)
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Anyone like operas?#6
Posted: 11/21/07 at 11:51am
Maybe some people are sick and tired of playing teacher?

Just a thought. Deal?
Taka
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Anyone like operas?#7
Posted: 11/21/07 at 11:53am
Well, then could we just be friends without you playing teacher, and just put all of this conflict behind us?
MannyCotty
Understudy
Understudy
re: Anyone like operas?#8
Posted: 11/21/07 at 11:54am
Name, if you don't like opera, then what are you doing in this thread besides peeing in it?
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Anyone like operas?#9
Posted: 11/21/07 at 11:56am
Because she said she wanted to keep the conversation positive, I contributed the fact that I positively hate opera.

Because she said she "wants to make friends" I thought I would give her some adult advice to try that somewhere else. Like at school. Or on Myspace, where all it takes to make a friend is one simple click.

Here, not so much.
MannyCotty
Understudy
Understudy
re: Anyone like operas?#10
Posted: 11/21/07 at 11:59am
You're not the arbiter of where people go to make friends, Namo.

D2 Profile PhotoD2 Profile Photo
D2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Anyone like operas?#11
Posted: 11/21/07 at 11:59am
DON GIOVANNI and THE MARRIAGE OF FIGARO are my two favorite operas. I also like the Massenet MANON, mainly because it was the first opera I ever saw (with the incomparable Beverly Sills in the title role.)
Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)
MannyCotty
Understudy
Understudy
re: Anyone like operas?#12
Posted: 11/21/07 at 12:00pm
Ah Bubbles. I loved her, and from Brooklyn too (Erasmus Hall baby!)

Taka
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Anyone like operas?#13
Posted: 11/21/07 at 12:01pm
We're straying off topic.

While we're talking opera, can I just add that "The Mikado" is one of the most overrated pieces of tripe I've ever seen performed? Or maybe it was just the production. I saw a very good production of HMS Pinafore, but I'm not sure if I would still like it if I hadn't seen it at Wolf Trap.
SonofMammaMiaSam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Anyone like operas?#14
I love the Young and the Restless. Should they save Victoria or her unborn child?
SonofMammaMiaSam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Anyone like operas?#15
And now that Phyllis has been released from prison she can spend the holiday with Nick and Summer.
Updated On: 11/21/07 at 12:01 PM
MannyCotty
Understudy
Understudy
re: Anyone like operas?#16
Posted: 11/21/07 at 12:03pm
Really? Maybe it was the production. The Mikado was the first G&S I saw and it was on video. This canadian production that was VERY well done. Im sure it's on video, it's definitely worth seeing.

Also, have you heard "Hot Mikado" a jazzed up version of it, it's quite well done actually.
D2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Anyone like operas?#17
Posted: 11/21/07 at 12:03pm
Well, in that genre, SOMMS, I must say I prefer AS THE STOMACH TURNS.
Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)
tazber Profile Phototazber Profile Photo
tazber
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Anyone like operas?#18
Posted: 11/21/07 at 12:05pm
the way some posters do deet?
....but the world goes 'round
SonofMammaMiaSam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Anyone like operas?#19
Posted: 11/21/07 at 12:06pm
Me too, Dweetie! The original Craig, Scott Brice, is back! He's divine evil.
Taka
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Anyone like operas?#20
Posted: 11/21/07 at 12:06pm
It may have very well been the production, as the first production of "The Mikado" that I saw was actually quite good, in spite of the fact that it was a high school production and in spite of the fact that they guy who played Koko was a bad singer (which, in retrospect, doesn't matter much as he was the best actor in the play).

What I want to know is why "Die Lustige Witwe" isn't as famous as the Gilbert and Sullivan operettas.
D2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Anyone like operas?#21
Posted: 11/21/07 at 12:07pm
I saw Scott on the subway the other day, SOMMS.
Updated On: 11/21/07 at 12:07 PM
tazber Profile Phototazber Profile Photo
tazber
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Anyone like operas?#22
Did you jump him?
....but the world goes 'round
Taka
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Anyone like operas?#23
Why aren't half the people on this thread even talking opera?
SonofMammaMiaSam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Anyone like operas?#24
Posted: 11/21/07 at 12:08pm
So you think that Lisa will fall in love again and marry husband number 14. I hope so, she so deserves to be happy.