David Letterman Is My New Hero! All I can Say is WOW!

romantico Profile Photoromantico Profile Photo
romantico
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Big props to David Letterman!

The talk show legend announced to his staff yesterday that he is going to pay all of their salaries through the end of the year while the writers’ strike is still going on.

Dave took this bold and costly move because many networks have threatened to fire all the staffs of the talk shows, many of whom have been working for years and years on the show.

Time to at least start talking again, people!

http://perezhilton.com/?p=8792

http://smallscreen.monstersandcritics.com/news/article_1373792.php/WGA_strike_update_David_Letterman_pays_staff_out_of_his_pocket
'There are three sides to every story. My side, your side, and the truth. And no one is lying. Memories shared serve each one differently' -Robert Evans-
Updated On: 11/14/07 at 06:02 PM
JerseyGirl2 Profile PhotoJerseyGirl2 Profile Photo
JerseyGirl2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Wow. That is incredible. (I just wish the damn strike would end, but hell, they aren't even negotiating at this point.)
Pretty pretty please don't you ever ever feel like you're less than f**ckin' perfect!
MargoChanning
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What a generous gesture on his part.
"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney
BigFatBlonde Profile PhotoBigFatBlonde Profile Photo
BigFatBlonde
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Classy move, Letterman!
What great ones do the less will prattle of
romantico
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Will Leno do the same? How about Conan? I agree, Letterman is a class act!
'There are three sides to every story. My side, your side, and the truth. And no one is lying. Memories shared serve each one differently' -Robert Evans-
BigFatBlonde Profile PhotoBigFatBlonde Profile Photo
BigFatBlonde
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I wonder what Carson did 20 years ago...hmm?
What great ones do the less will prattle of
uncageg Profile Photouncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Kudos to letterman. He's my Late Night favorite.
Just give the world Love.
romantico
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Letterman's writers have started a WGA Strike blog

This "blog" or "webblog" or "internetwebblog" or "interwebblognetwebblog" will feature the thoughts and observations of Late Show writers Eric Stangel, Justin Stangel, Bill Scheft, Steve Young, Matt Roberts, Tom Ruprecht, Jeremy Weiner, Lee Ellenberg, Joe Grossman and Bob Borden regarding the current writers strike.

There is a lot at stake with this strike and these are serious issues. The Late Show writers are on the picket lines every day they are scheduled. We are not making light of this situation. One way to get people to pay attention to the strike and its issues is through humor.
Best,
THE LATE SHOW WRITERS

Wednesday, November 14, 2007
Talking To Children About The Writers’ Strike

by Steve Young

The writers’ strike can be stressful and confusing for children as well as adults. Kids often have questions about the situation that need to be handled delicately. Here are a few sample questions and non-judgmental answers.

“Why are the writers and the big media companies fighting?”

“Sometimes two parts of the entertainment business love each other, but have trouble getting along. The details of the argument aren’t important. All you need to know is that the producers are trying to bludgeon the writers with bats, take their last few pennies, and leave them bleeding in the street.”

“Is the fight because of something I’ve done?”

“Yes, of course. All trouble is due to your bad behavior.”

“Will the writers and the producers ever get back together?”

“We hope so. The writers are ready to sit down and talk whenever the big companies are willing to have a real discussion about DVD income and digital revenue sharing. That’s just a fancy way of saying you know who to blame if this thing drags on.

“Do you still love me?”

“The Writers Guild will always love you very, very much. The media companies would sell you to the Gypsies in a second if they thought it would boost their share price.”

“Can you bring back “Walker, Texas Ranger”?”

“You’re trying my patience. Go to bed.”

http://lateshowwritersonstrike.com/
son_of_a_gunn_25 Profile Photoson_of_a_gunn_25 Profile Photo
son_of_a_gunn_25
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/14/07 at 6:25pm
My avatar is a reminder to myself. I need lots of reminders...
Updated On: 12/23/09 at 06:25 PM
SueleenGay Profile PhotoSueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Maybe Ellen will do the same...nevermind.
That is really an amazing gesture.
PEACE.
BroadwayBound86 Profile PhotoBroadwayBound86 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound86
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
That was beyond nice of him! Definately a favorite of mine! Of course....besides Craig Ferguson.
xoxRogue Profile PhotoxoxRogue Profile Photo
xoxRogue
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
There was a rumor after the strike was announced that Jon Stewart was going to pay the salaries of his writers for two weeks, but I don't think his reps confirmed it.

For the strike blog of everyone:
www.unitedhollywood.com
Shari Lewis: Did you ever wish upon a star? Lamb Chop: I once asked Mr. Rogers for his autograph.
TheatreDiva90016 Profile PhotoTheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sueleen,

I was thinking the same thing.
"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2
DottieD'Luscia Profile PhotoDottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
According to MSN, Ellen cancelled the taping of her show next week which was to be taking place in NYC.
Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany
Rathnait62 Profile PhotoRathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I was about to say that Letterman has myriads more money than Stewart, but then realized Letterman's writers likely make myriads more money than Stewart's, so it's all pretty much the same thing.
Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson
gymdudeva
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Leno will probably now do it to copy Letterman. But we know who the real class act is.
pab Profile Photopab Profile Photo
pab
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"
Updated On: 11/17/07 at 08:40 PM
RadiGal2 Profile PhotoRadiGal2 Profile Photo
RadiGal2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
If I'm not mistaken one of the big incentives CBS offered to Dave was ownership Late Show -- as far as I know Leno is simply an employee of NBC (a high paid one...but ya know)...I am not sure if he can do the same thing at the Tonight Show.....

Carson was forced to go back to work before the end of the strike.
"I'm a one-eyed Mormon Democrat from conservative Arizona, and you can't have a higher handicap than that." ~The ever-great and fabulous Morris K. Udall.
SueleenGay Profile PhotoSueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Regardless of the relationship between what he makes and what he stands to "lose", David could never work again a day in his life and STILL be able to pay his writers. The fact is he didn't have to do anything. No one would have called him a bad person if he just sat at home with his wife and kid waiting for the next crazy stalker to come over. But he stepped up. And if Leno or Stewart feel that they need to do the same thing now in order to "save face", then so be it, everybody wins. (If that is possible in this situation.)
PEACE.
JoeKv99 Profile PhotoJoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Dave can act like a crusty old coot all he wants, but the fact is he's a great and classy guy.
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
DG
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Not to put too fine a point on it, but what I see are Mid-Western values put into play. I know the region gets a bad rep - especially around liberals - but I always found the core of their beliefs and actions to be solid and really viable.
BroadwayBound86 Profile PhotoBroadwayBound86 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound86
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
According to MSN, Ellen cancelled the taping of her show next week which was to be taking place in NYC.

Wasn't she basically told she wasn't welcome here anyway?
xxnewgirlxx Profile Photoxxnewgirlxx Profile Photo
xxnewgirlxx
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Dave's always been my hero. This just proves that he's the best.
Jane2 Profile PhotoJane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I've never been a fan of Letterman-don't think he's funny.

However, for some reason I got a small thrill when he came to the theater the other day and he was so friendly. Anyway, good for him!
<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES
Pippin Profile PhotoPippin Profile Photo
Pippin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Letterman is the real deal. He is my favorite, always has been. I didn't think it was possible to have any more respect for him.

and about Ellen: the WGA on the East coast basically told her not to come, becuase they wouldn't show her any support, and would've basically given her a hard time, so she was forced to cancel.
"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."