Fla. Companies Forbidding Smoking In Private Lives

cooperross Profile Photocooperross Profile Photo
cooperross
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
utterly ridiculous and sets a very dangerous precedent.
Local6.com
-Politics is like driving. To go backward, put it in R. To go forward, put it in D.
Mr Roxy Profile PhotoMr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The nanny state lives.
Poster Emeritus
Phyllis Rogers Stone
Suspended
Suspended
I don't see how this is really any different than a company not hiring someone who fails a drug test. For the record, I oppose any sort of job requirement that includes a blood, urine, saliva, hair, etc sample.
Elphaba Profile PhotoElphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
exactly. Since the employer in may cases pays ALL or most of the medical care costs, I do believe they have a right to set a rule like this.

After all, anyone who smokes will, in the long run cost that company a lot of money medically speaking.

It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956
best12bars Profile Photobest12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
...which could lead to diet restrictions too, right?

For health reasons and insurance coverage.

And exposure to the sun's rays.
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
better than no Americans having medical care.

but you have a point, best. I guess because I quit smoking 8 or 9 years ago I have little sympathy for anyone with the the habit, or people who complain about laws enacted with the intent on stopping it in one way or another.

It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956
JustAGuy Profile PhotoJustAGuy Profile Photo
JustAGuy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'd have no problem with it IF smoking was actually illegal. But, it's not. Yes, there are laws in place which bar smokers from smoking in certain areas, but that is far from an actual all out ban.

If the employer is that concerned about the actual health and welfare of his employees, does he also limit their caloric intake, limit the use of alcohol, make sure that all of his employees are enrolled in safe driving courses, mandate a daily physical fitness regimen, etc. etc. etc....blah...blah...blah.

Until the government legislates that smoking is an illegal activity and that all tobacco products should be banned, then it seems to me that the workers have a right to smoke on their own time in the privacy of their own homes, or anywhere else that smoking is allowed.

Nearly all cancer causing agents and products that have been shown to be a health risk are either banned or heavily monitored. But, you can still walk into any corner newsstand, plunk down your money and walk out with a pack of cigarettes, no questions asked. I wonder why that is? I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that tobacco is a huge cash cow for the government. Tobacco products and cigarettes have huge taxes levied on them. Not to mention that the tobacco lobby pours money into sundry political campaigns. Any other product that presented the same health risk that tobacco does, would have been off the shelves years ago, no questions asked.

Either make it illegal to smoke for the greater good, or don't. But, until then keep your punitive measures and silly rules out of my life.

"Just a Guy. Your feelings are touching. I am gladdened by the thought that you will one day wind up 6 feet under as we all do." - MrRoxy ------ "I do not suggest you walk out the door onto a New York street with your vulnerable child part exposed and not protected..." - Jason Bennett
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Smoking is not illegal. The only place smokers have these days is their private residence. I would never work for a company that tells me what I can and cannot do during my off hours.

Magdalene Profile PhotoMagdalene Profile Photo
Magdalene
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
He sounds like he would fire someone for being black, gay, Jewish, Catholic, or anything else if there wasn't a law against it!

I'm a smoker, and I take less sick days than most of my non-smoking coworkers.

If he sees a guest of the resort lighting up, does he blast them with a fire extinguisher?

"NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU BITCH!"
JoeKv99 Profile PhotoJoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Fla. Companies Forbidding Smoking In Private Lives

I think this is outrageous! Noel Coward wrote this play intending that the characters would smoke numerous cigarettes and frankly, removing them changes the whole tenor of the piece~ look at AMC's Madmen- the incessant cigarette smoking was commented on by many reviewers and helped to place the drama in it's 60's milieu. If you want to set a healthy example then maybe this isn't the play for you, Florida! Maybe you should pick another

What? Oh. Well, that's very different then. Never mind.
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
DG
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Joe - that was great re: Fla. Companies Forbidding Smoking In Private Lives
Rathnait62 Profile PhotoRathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"The only place smokers have these days is their private residence."

They also have the sidewalks and other outside spaces, usually right in front of me.
Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson
Updated On: 11/9/07 at 10:54 AM
shameless Profile Photoshameless Profile Photo
shameless
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm so torn on this issue. I do agree that it's a complete violation of rights, but if I never had to smell cigarette smoke again, I'd be a very happy girl.
Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be enbered with your old nonsense. ~ Emerson
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Rathnait..true very true and it is unfair to have to breathe in what someone else breathes out...

But it doesn't change the fact that as long as smoking is legal, these people still have some rights..they should be able to do what they wish inside of their own private residence.

That employer is too big brother for me..I would never work in such an environment..who knows what else they prohibit and monitor.

That's scary.
CJR Profile PhotoCJR Profile Photo
CJR
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
That's not the first employer to implement that ban though.... I believe the first one was in Michigan or Illinois. I can't recall exactly.

I don't smoke anymore (I quit a few years ago.... I think I have maybe one cigarette a year now, if even), but I feel these kinds of rules are a direct violation of my rights. I feel that it's not the employers place to dictate what I do when I'm not "on the clock." I could understand if they banned smoking on the job. There are a few companies here who have "respectfully asked their employees to refrain from smoking in front of the building." There are other companies here that have designated an area x-number of feet away from the doors for smokers. And there were consequences for those who didn't follow these guidlines.

This was a huge debate last year when I as managing an office park in Stamford. Two of the big broadcast sports channels had banned their employees from smoking and done so much as to take away all their outdoor ash trays. The employees complained to us because smoking had been banned and the companies complained to us when the smokers still smoked, only now there were cigarette butts everywhere because the companies thought taking away their ash trays would solve their issue. We finally wound up giving them back their large outdoor ash trays, but moved them about 150 feet from the door in the parking garage. We got rid of the ones in front of the buildings all together. Hard core smokers still went out there and braved the cold (the complex was right on LI Sound too, so you can imagine how it was in the winter) and the lighter smokers tended to forego that cigarette and stay at their desks and work. Everyone was happy (for the most part).

In any event, back to the direct topic at hand. Like I said, it's fine for an employer to tell me I can't smoke on the job. I have no issues with that. But telling me I can't smoke when I leave? That I can't go home and smoke? I can't go out and smoke? Eff you. That's not YOUR place to make that call. It's like the boss who always tried to ask me WHY i was taking a personal day, what was so important, or WHY did I always have to leave exactly on time. Guess what? You pay me from 8:30am - 5pm. What I do in the hours Im not here is none of your damn business.

But that's just me.
"You're every gay man's wet dream!" ~ MA

If in Heaven you don't excel, you can always party down in hell...

doodlenyc Profile Photodoodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
So when will that fatass discrimination start...fatasses have alot of health problems too, right?

Lay off the Taco Bell, FATASS!
"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

shameless
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Hey, at least, my fatass isn't blowing my taco breath in your face!
Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be enbered with your old nonsense. ~ Emerson
CJR Profile PhotoCJR Profile Photo
CJR
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
HAHA The same boss I was just talking about? He would complain when I ate "unhealthy food."

It got to the point where we got into this HUGE fight and I told him Im not a child, Im certainly not HIS child and he'd better stop treating me as such.

I quit shortly thereafter.
"You're every gay man's wet dream!" ~ MA

If in Heaven you don't excel, you can always party down in hell...

doodlenyc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
shamey...what comes out the other end after taco bell aint roses, ya know!

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

shameless
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
LOL! I don't know what you're taking about. I don't do that!
Pip Profile PhotoPip Profile Photo
Pip
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I think a logical compromise is that, if you are a smoker, you sign away a percentage of your insurance coverage. That way, the company (and your non-smoking peers) aren't paying extra premiums to cover your unhealthy decision. Your right to smoke isn't infringed upon and companies wouldn't feel like they have any need to butt into your private life...because you're paying for the consequences of your decision; they aren't.
doodlenyc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Seriously, then you have to pay a percent of your coverage for any unhealthy thing you do...

Lay off the cookies and the candy, folks...big brother is coming!

shameless
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
That's true. Next, they'd try to limit the amount of red meat and fried food their employees consume.

Not that people wouldn't lie and cheat anyway.
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
'I don't smoke anymore (I quit a few years ago.... I think I have maybe one cigarette a year now, if even)'

then you have not quit. Be honest, at the very least to yourself.

"I'm a smoker, and I take less sick days than most of my non-smoking coworkers."

And you'll be dead before them, too.
JustAGuy Profile PhotoJustAGuy Profile Photo
JustAGuy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Is there anyone more sanctimonious than a former smoker?
"Just a Guy. Your feelings are touching. I am gladdened by the thought that you will one day wind up 6 feet under as we all do." - MrRoxy ------ "I do not suggest you walk out the door onto a New York street with your vulnerable child part exposed and not protected..." - Jason Bennett