Page: 1

Middle schooler gets detention for hugging.....

CJR Profile PhotoCJR Profile Photo
CJR
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
MASCOUTAH, Ill. - Two hugs equals two days of detention for 13-year-old Megan Coulter.

The eighth-grader was punished for violating a school policy banning public displays of affection when she hugged two friends Friday.

One schools ban on PDA's
"You're every gay man's wet dream!" ~ MA

If in Heaven you don't excel, you can always party down in hell...

doodlenyc Profile Photodoodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
she's obviously a hussy and must be stopped!
"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

tazber Profile Phototazber Profile Photo
tazber
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Today she's hugging in school, tomorrow she brings a gun. You must nip these delinquent children in the bud.
....but the world goes 'round
madbrian Profile Photomadbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"You must nip these delinquent children in the bud."

Ouch.
"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson
uncageg Profile Photouncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"District Superintendent Sam McGowen said that he thinks the penalty is fair and that administrators in the school east of St. Louis were following policy in the student handbook.
It states: “Displays of affection should not occur on the school campus at any time. It is in poor taste, reflects poor judgment, and brings discredit to the school and to the persons involved.”

I am speechless.
Just give the world Love.
Borstalboy Profile PhotoBorstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Slut! Whore!! Witch!!! Tar and feather her and then make her wear a sackcloth for the rest of the year!
"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali
Rathnait62 Profile PhotoRathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Lifetime movie will star Alison Pill.
Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson
Calvin Profile PhotoCalvin Profile Photo
Calvin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What state's Mascoutah in? I'd say ill.

I had no idea how subversive the "Hugs, not drugs" campaign was when I was in high school!
tazber
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I think it was probably the fact that she was fingering her friend too that had something to do with it.
you know kids and hormones...
Borstalboy Profile PhotoBorstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
How can a girl find her vagina power with these kind of rules??
"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali
tazber
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
By watching Oprah Borstal. Duh!
tazber
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
and not double posting
Updated On: 11/7/07 at 02:19 PM
Icehouse Life
Stand-by
Stand-by
I saw the girls on the Today show with their mothers. What we're seeing is a continuation of converting kids into soulless automatons who are obedient and unthinking, myopicly assuming the kids will abuse. These administrators need to to get their heads out of their asses. They are a major reason why schools these days aren't winning hearts and minds of many in the young.
Elphaba Profile PhotoElphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
obviously you all have not been paying attn to national news. Many districts have taken this measure to PROTECT the kids.
What constitues a hug and what constitutes sexual abuse is a razor-sharp line.
All it takes is one kid to scream something sexual and that distrit is sued.

While it may seem extreme, sadly the state of this country and lawsuits makes it all too necessary.

and as for this comment.

'These administrators need to to get their heads out of their asses. They are a major reason why schools these days aren't winning hearts and minds of many in the young.'

it shows what little you know about how school districts operate, and what can happen when one is sued.
It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956
DMsquared2 Profile PhotoDMsquared2 Profile Photo
DMsquared2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I feel that there are far worse things schools should be concerned about.

I don't consider hugging sexual.
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
you may not, but the school kid (and his/her parents) that do could sue the district.......and win, and that will hurt every student, and future ones.
It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956
Cyndy Profile PhotoCyndy Profile Photo
Cyndy
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
What you may get disciplined for doing at this school:

Main Entry: hug
Function: transitive verb
Pronunciation: 'h&g
Inflected Form(s): hugged ; hug·ging
Etymology: perhaps of Scandinavian origin; akin to Old Norse hugga to soothe
1 : to press tightly especially in the arms
2 a : CONGRATULATE b : to hold fast : CHERISH

What you may try out for the first week of December at this school:

Main Entry: wres·tling
Function: noun
Pronunciation: 'res-li[ng], 'ras-; 're-s & l-i[ng], 'ra-
: a sport or contest in which two unarmed individuals struggle hand to hand with each attempting to subdue or unbalance the other

Something just strikes me as sad in that.

"If there is to be any peace it will come through being, not having." Henry Miller
Updated On: 11/8/07 at 05:15 PM
DG
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What Elph says is sadly and grotesquely true.

I see this as a further example of society-in-general's descent into madness, not the educational system in particular.
luvtheEmcee Profile PhotoluvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I went to a middle school like this. No PDA's whatsoever. Concern taken way too far and rules made for the sake of abusing authority.
A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 11/8/07 at 06:11 PM
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
exactly....and I don't like it, but it's at the point where school districts, and anybody has to protect themselves from lawsuits.

Trust me, when a district is sued and loses, it costs ALL citizens of that area (in taxes) not just the ones with kids in school.

sad state of the world
kelzama
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
same as a kindergartner dressed for Halloween as a firefighter complete with plastic toy axe gets suspended for violating the Zero Tolerance No Weapons policy.

common sense? no. CYA? Yep.
Icehouse Life
Stand-by
Stand-by
I'm sorry I failed to mentioned the specter of lawsuits when it comes to public schools, but I knew that was a fear (I thought it would be automatically understood). It's really sad. I know where you're coming from, Elphaba, with all due respect, but such action like that of that administration smacks of zero tolerance (zero thinking). I, and many other people here, aren't convinced that what we gain out of this weighs more than what we lose in situations like this. Surely none of us want sexual harassment or hallway congestion in schools, but we're turning kids into robots when such provisions are in place in the long run as a scoiety, disconnecting themselves from common humanity even further. Many of us just don't think hugging is a gateway to worse sexual action. Soemthing has to be done about protecting schools from lawsuits stemming from harmless activities, as opposed to worse situations that apparently arose from them.

For further reading:
http://www.commondreams.org/archive/2007/10/04/4313
Mr Roxy Profile PhotoMr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Give her the chair I say.
Poster Emeritus
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
the last thing when I was in middle school any of us wanted to do was hug each other....but then it was hard to hug when school was taught in a covered wagon.....