A reminder of the dangers on the internet

colleen_lee Profile Photocolleen_lee Profile Photo
colleen_lee
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
A reminder of the dangers on the internet #1
Posted: 10/28/07 at 6:01pm
Katherine Olson was a beautiful young lady whom many in the Twin Cities theater community have known and had the great pleasure to work with.

She was brutally murdered this weekend after answering an ad for a Nanny position posted on Craigslist.

Stay safe and be careful.

http://www.startribune.com/south/story/1512230.html
"You just can't win. Ever. Look at the bright side, at least you are not stuck in First Wives Club: The Musical. That would really suck. " --Sueleen Gay
SweetQintheLights
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Clicking that link brings you to a website to sign up to be able to read the article.

Can you just copy and paste it into the thread?
"How bout a little black dress?"~hannahshule "I have a penis, not a vagina." ~munkustrap178
colleen_lee
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It's really long, but here it is:

Online nanny ad ends in slaying
A St. Olaf grad went to meet someone in Savage about a job she saw posted on Craigslist. Her body was found in her car trunk.

By Chris Havens and James Walsh, Star Tribune staff writers

Katherine Ann Olson had answered online ads for nanny jobs before without trouble. But one posted on the popular Craigslist.org website for a job in Savage may have cost the young woman her life.

Olson, 24, was found dead in the trunk of her car at a Burnsville park late Friday night. She was last seen by friends on Thursday morning, when she went to meet someone in Savage about the job, which authorities said she had found on Craigslist.

A 19-year-old Savage man who police believe placed the ad is being held in the Scott County jail pending charges. Authorities did not release his name but said charges could be filed as soon as today.

Olson graduated from Park High School of Cottage Grove in 2002, where she was co-valedictorian, and from St. Olaf College in 2006. She was a theater and Hispanic studies major whose family said had taken nanny jobs at least twice before, including a job in Turkey, after answering online ads.

Olson's family gathered in front of its Cottage Grove home Saturday afternoon to share stories of a vivacious young woman "who was a joy, who trusted people."

She had recently finished playing Maria in her church community theater's production of "The Sound of Music," and was searching for a career to match her interests and energies.

Family members said they'd had misgivings about her finding jobs online. But she never seemed to worry.

"She always assumed the best in other people," said her father. "She assumed the best of this appointment Thursday morning. And, if it didn't work out, she assumed she could turn around and go home."

Craigslist.org, an online bulletin board, has fallen under the watch of law enforcement in recent years because of prostitution ads and its use to set up robberies, but an Internet search revealed no other homicides connected to the site.

First purse, then bloody towel

Savage police Capt. David Muelken gave this account of Olson's death:

A resident told a Savage Public Works employee about a purse found in a garbage can at Pacer Park. That employee notified police, and an officer got the purse, which contained things belonging to Olson.

At first, it appeared to be a theft. Police called Olson's home and left a message telling her they had her purse.

About 5 p.m. Friday, Olson's roommate returned the call and told police she hadn't been seen since 8 a.m. Thursday.

Police went back to Pacer Park and found a garbage bag in the container. Inside the bag was a "significantly bloody towel."

An extensive search of the park area yielded no clues.

Savage police went through Olson's cell phone and credit card records to see if she had used either recently. They found nothing.

Then they got some information that "led them in a direction," Muelken said.

Meanwhile, a Minnesota State Patrol helicopter was called in to help. The pilot noticed a car in the parking lot of Rudy Kraemer Nature Preserve in Burnsville, which is a few blocks away from Pacer Park.

Police identified the car as Olson's and searched it. Her body was found in the trunk.

As the search proceeded Friday night, other investigators began to focus on the 19-year-old Savage man. He worked at Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport, and airport police arrested him there Friday night.

He was taken to the Savage Police Department, where he was interviewed, and then brought to the Scott County jail.

"We're confident we have the suspect in custody," Muelken said. He said he believed there is no public threat.

Citing the investigation, police were cautious about the details they released. They didn't say how Olson might have been killed or whether a weapon was used. They said they weren't sure of a motive.

Olson's body was taken to the Minnesota Regional Medical Examiner's Office in Hastings for an autopsy.

Muelken said it was an unusual homicide because often there's a relationship between the victim and suspect.

This is the first homicide in Savage since 2000, when Donald Robertson was believed to have killed his wife, Linda, before fatally shooting himself. Before that, the last homicide in the city was the shooting death of a Bloomington man in 1976.

'Spontaneous, effusive'

Olson had graduated with honors from high school and college. She was fluent in Spanish and was taking night classes to become an interpreter, although her mother said she'd decided that might not be the career for her.

"She told me, 'I don't want to be invisible. I don't want to be behind the scenes. I'm an actress,'" said her father, Rolf Olson, pastor of Richfield Lutheran Church.

Her mother, Nancy Olson, said Katherine "just danced into people's lives." When Katherine joined the book club at church, she immediately charmed the other, much older members. They became, her father said, "her other moms."

She had helped coach high school speech and had been a receptionist for a local clinic that served Spanish-speaking families. But that job ended last week and she was searching for another -- including child care again, her sister said.

So she'd made the appointment to talk about the Savage job on Thursday. She went to the address, thinking it was a married couple who recently relocated to the Twin Cities, according to her father in an entry on Facebook.com. When Katherine didn't contact her family members that day, they became concerned. On Friday, her sister, Sarah, talked to Katherine's roommate, who mentioned that Olson had gone to Savage to interview for a babysitting job.

The next contact the family had, said Nancy Olson, was when police called saying they'd found her purse. On Saturday afternoon, family members said they are finding strength in the people who were touched by her life -- and the memories they hold.

"We grieve even more because of what the world has lost. Not just for us, but for all these other people she would have touched," said Nancy Olson, her face still speckled with glitter from holding a Mother's Day card Katherine made for her a few years ago.

"Parents get to raise a child and then release them to the world. And now she's gone to the next world," Nancy Olson said. "We've had her for the time we had her. And now we've given her away."

chavens@startribune.com 651-298-1542 jwalsh@startribune.com 651-298-1541
"You just can't win. Ever. Look at the bright side, at least you are not stuck in First Wives Club: The Musical. That would really suck. " --Sueleen Gay
SueleenGay Profile PhotoSueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
That is terrible, don't get me wrong, but how is this an Internet problem? All she did was answer an ad. Could have been in the paper. I am not saying the Internet is SAFE, but this could have happened to anyone answering any ad.

What do you want to bet the family tries to sue Craig's List.
PEACE.
Yawper
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'll bet they don't. Minnesotans aren't like that.
SweetQintheLights
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sueleen, ads in the paper cost money, Craigslist ads don't (as far as I know).

If someone was out to get someone or something, I'm pretty sure they'd do it the cheapest way (as bad as that sounds).

"How bout a little black dress?"~hannahshule "I have a penis, not a vagina." ~munkustrap178
StageManager2 Profile PhotoStageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
There really is a St. Olaf, Minneosta?
Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
SweetQ, it is thinking like that that'll land YOU in the trunk of a car one day.
PEACE.
uncageg Profile Photouncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
That's awful. I have a friend who swears by craigslist to buy things. I just don't do it. I will buy new or buy from an online s tore that I trust and have things sent to me. As far as jobs, I go through Monster or agencies.
Just give the world Love.
colleen_lee
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
There really is a St. Olaf, Minneosta?

No. It's a college. St. Olaf College in Northfield, MN.

papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
a reminder of the dangers on the internet #10
Posted: 10/29/07 at 9:02am
now, now, colleen, were it not for the internet i might never have seen those spectacular alabaster orbs of yours doing their defying gravity thing.
r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
colleen_lee
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
a reminder of the dangers on the internet #11
Posted: 10/29/07 at 9:14am
Darling, as much as I love your sexual harassment, this is neither time nor place.
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
a reminder of the dangers on the internet #12
Posted: 10/29/07 at 9:21am
i've always been fuzzy on the whole concept of time as a function of etiquette.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
PalJoey Profile PhotoPalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
a reminder of the dangers on the internet #13
Posted: 10/29/07 at 9:27am
Was this girl somehow related to Dollypop?
ShbrtAlley44 Profile PhotoShbrtAlley44 Profile Photo
ShbrtAlley44
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
a reminder of the dangers on the internet #14
Posted: 10/29/07 at 10:20am
I'm suddenly concerned because I know a girl with the last name Olson who has older sisters, and they're from Minnesota, and this girl looks vaguely like her. How do I ask her about this?
Elphaba Profile PhotoElphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
a reminder of the dangers on the internet #15
Posted: 10/29/07 at 11:36am
"Sueleen, ads in the paper cost money, Craigslist ads don't (as far as I know).

If someone was out to get someone or something, I'm pretty sure they'd do it the cheapest way (as bad as that sounds)."

stupid post of the day....are you truly that uninformed that you think this. It could have easily happened from a print ad.
It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
a reminder of the dangers on the internet #16
Posted: 10/29/07 at 11:38am
elph, you're taking a sweetq post with anything but a grain of salt? hell, my post about colleen's boobs should carry more weight than anything sweetq has ever posted.

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

Elphaba Profile PhotoElphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
a reminder of the dangers on the internet #17
Posted: 10/29/07 at 11:47am
papa, they entire thread is ridiulous......infering that her murder is cause by internet use......
It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956
Chita1933 Profile PhotoChita1933 Profile Photo
Chita1933
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
a reminder of the dangers on the internet #18
Posted: 10/29/07 at 11:57am
"neither time nor place"

the time is now , the place is here. Wouldn't those two things be , in this case, the same thing?

Just a thought...Papa does that to me sometimes...makes me think.

a reminder of the dangers on the internet

ETA: if this story shows me anything, it's the dangers of leaving your house.

Click on my profile and watch Chita Rivera "Put On A Happy Face"

Updated On: 10/29/07 at 11:57 AM
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
a reminder of the dangers on the internet #19
Posted: 10/29/07 at 12:15pm
God, I've grown to hate Elphaba.

Poor Steve.
Can you hear me now? Twitter: @NamoInExile
colleen_lee
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
a reminder of the dangers on the internet #20
Posted: 10/29/07 at 12:23pm
I apologize for my apparently poorly chosen subject line, but is it really too much to ask that you folks maintain a modicum of respect in here?

A bright, beautiful, vivacious woman was brutally killed and stuffed into her own f***ing trunk for doing nothing more than answering an ad for a job. There are a lot of people, including myself, who are hurting and confused and trying to understand how something like that can happen to someone like that.

There are so many other more appropriate places for the bickering, in-fighting, mocking, and sexual harassment that we all love so much on BWW.
cooperross Profile Photocooperross Profile Photo
cooperross
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
a reminder of the dangers on the internet #21
Posted: 10/29/07 at 1:35pm
"It could have easily happened from a print ad."

possibly, but not as likely. if one pays for a print ad there's going to be some sort of trail leading back to that person. on a free classifieds site not so much.
-Politics is like driving. To go backward, put it in R. To go forward, put it in D.
SNAFU Profile PhotoSNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
a reminder of the dangers on the internet #22
Posted: 10/29/07 at 3:57pm
Cooper, they tracked the guy who placed the ad through Craigslist, he is being held. Don't be fooled that there are no trails on the internet!
Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
a reminder of the dangers on the internet #23
Posted: 10/29/07 at 4:08pm
Collen, I am sorry for your loss, it is tragic. But the thinking that this had only to do with her using the Internet to find a job is just wrong.

And although I know you and her family are suffering, comments such as,

"There are a lot of people, including myself, who are hurting and confused and trying to understand how something like that can happen to someone like that."

just make me scratch my head and ask, "Someone like WHAT?" Young, pretty, talented? White? Why NOT someone like that? I am sure you didn't mean it to come off as elitist as it did, but violence happens in ALL sectors of America, even to someone like "THAT".

I mean no disrepect.
PEACE.
cooperross Profile Photocooperross Profile Photo
cooperross
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
a reminder of the dangers on the internet #24
Posted: 10/29/07 at 6:38pm
they may have tracked him but there ARE was to avoid being found via internet postings.
-Politics is like driving. To go backward, put it in R. To go forward, put it in D.