Posted: 10/28/07 at 12:44am
Updated On: 3/7/08 at 12:44 AM
supportivemom Profile Photosupportivemom Profile Photo
supportivemom
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Washington DC#2
Posted: 10/28/07 at 12:56am
I went to DC in May. My husband and I took one of those trolley tours around the city. The trolley lets you get on and off as you please. It was very convenient and we got to see a lot of DC this way. If you're taking a 3 year old, maybe they'd like the zoo. That age is hard because they really don't get into all the history things. The food at the newest museum the Native American museum (or whatever the proper name- it's next to the Air and Space museum)is really good. It's cafeteria style but you can get foods from the various Indian nations- it's a great variety. Hope this helps. Have fun on your trip! mom
DG
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Washington DC#2
Posted: 10/28/07 at 2:53am
You have such limited time, and the child does create limitations. I'd say stick to the Mall. You've got the Smithsonian, history and the beauty around you. Honestly, you just don't have that much time, so jump right into the heart of things, and soak up what you can.
Mamie Profile PhotoMamie Profile Photo
Mamie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Washington DC#3
Posted: 10/28/07 at 2:55am
If the weather is nice, I'd suggest buying a kite at the Air & Space museum and taking it out on the mall to fly. The gift shop at A&S is 3 stories and the things for the younger children are downstairs on the lowest floor.

While in the Air & Space Museum, don't forget to stop by the gallery of popular items from the American History Museum. That museum is still closed for renovation but a selection of their most popular objects (including Dorothy's ruby slippers) have been put on display in a special gallery at A&S.

Another suggestion - also dependent on the weather - is taking a picnic lunch to the National Zoo and saying hi to the pandas.

Go to the sculpture garden between the Natural History museum and the National Gallery of Art. It's full of fantasy sculptures that appeal to children.

When stopping in the Natural History museum, ask the folks at the info desk if the Discovery Museum for children is open. This is a special 'museum within a museum' for little children. It has its own collection of shells, minerals, animals for hands on exploration by the children. It has limited hours and is only open when they can get volunteers in there. Another fun thing for kids at Natural History is upstairs at the Insect Zoo. At 10:00 am and 1:30 pm, one of the docents will bring out a tarantula for its feeding. The kids get to crowd around for an up-close view. If they can, they might bring out one or two of the other, extra large insects for the kids to 'pet'.

www.thebreastcancersite.com
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03
Updated On: 10/28/07 at 02:55 AM
DG
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Washington DC#4
Posted: 10/28/07 at 3:00am
And just to make clear, all of Mamie's ideas - which I love - have to do with the Mall re: Washington DC
Mamie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Washington DC#5
Posted: 10/28/07 at 3:02am
Yeah - except for that little zoo sideline. But I agree with you on that. There's so little time that you'll waste it going to and from the zoo. Better to spend it on the mall seeing things that CAN'T be found elsewhere!
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03
DG
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Washington DC#6
Posted: 10/28/07 at 3:13am
But, Mamie - I KNOW we'd both like to just go to the zoo and cuddle with the Pandas re: Washington DC
Mamie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Washington DC#7
Posted: 10/28/07 at 3:17am
Shame on me! I almost forgot the Discovery Theatre! This is a theatre for children that is located next door to the Smithsonian Castle - in the Ripley Center. This link should take you to the page that talks about the current show. (For ages 2-8 )

http://discoverytheater.com/shows/nov/rocknoceros.shtm

I'm ALWAYS ready to cuddle with the pandas, DG!
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03
Updated On: 10/28/07 at 03:17 AM
henryt
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Washington DC#8
Posted: 10/28/07 at 10:57am
Updated On: 3/7/08 at 10:57 AM
Mamie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Washington DC#9
Posted: 10/28/07 at 11:07am
You know what 'the mall' is, don't you? It's not something you stay 'in'. It's the big, green lawn area between the Washington Monument and the Capital. When we talk about visiting the mall, we mean the buildings around the mall - not the mall itself.

re: Washington DC re: Washington DC

(I apologize if I read your reply too simplistically. I worked at the Smithsonian for 9 years and I can't begin to tell you how many people would ask me where 'the mall' was, when they were standing right on it!)
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03
KelRel Profile PhotoKelRel Profile Photo
KelRel
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Washington DC#10
Posted: 10/28/07 at 10:19pm
Mamie, I used to be that tourist, but thankful my husband kept me in check so I didn't look like such an tourist. re: Washington DC Now thanks to him and my lovely DC BWWers (whom I miss sooo much!) I can get around with almost no problem.

I also agree with the Mall visit. There is so much to see and do there that the whole family will enjoy. Don't get too rushed and intimidated by all there is to see because even the locals haven't seen it all. Well most of them anyways. re: Washington DC

Have a great trip! Oh and do see the pandas if you get a chance.

Mamie, give Tai a "hug" for me next time you go. I miss my little (well not anymore) guy.
"All the while making faces like a baby platypus who forget to take some Beano before eating a chimichanga." FindingNamo in reference to Jessica Simpson's singing.
Mamie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Washington DC#11
Posted: 10/28/07 at 10:50pm
I'm afraid 'little' Tai is way beyond the hugging stage. He now occupies one yard on his own and mom and dad are together in the other yard. If we can keep him around long enough we might even see his baby some day!
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03
brdlwyr
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Washington DC#12
Posted: 10/28/07 at 11:10pm
I love DC, I always to the Archives, such a special place!
Revolutionary Profile PhotoRevolutionary Profile Photo
Revolutionary
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Washington DC#13
Posted: 10/29/07 at 12:54am
DC born and raised. Holla!! :)

The Air and Space museum is the biggest kid pleaser around. Then you can metro it to the zoo which is like 2 stops away from the mall. The zoo is great because your zoo doesn't have pandas and our does lol, and the surrounding area Adams Morgan is fun with lots of colorful little shops and family friendly restaurants.

Great Falls National Park which is about 15-20 minutes outside of DC is great for a lowkey picnic and an easy hike. That would be a great way to unwind before heading back on Sunday afternoon.
What Lola Wants
Understudy
Understudy
re: Washington DC#14
Posted: 10/29/07 at 2:21pm
I'm from DC too so I wanted to add in that I agree that the suggestions for sticking to the Mall and things right by it are probably best for the limited time you have. The Air and Space museum is great for kids, the kite idea is great too! And there is a carasel on the mall as well that the 3 year old would probably really enjoy. We had a streak of great weekend weather (even the rain last week cleared by by Saturday afternoon) so you all will hopefully luck out down here!