Page: 1

"Values Voter"

jrb_actor Profile Photojrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"Values Voter"#1
Posted: 10/19/07 at 5:45pm
This is such a bull**** term. Just like "family values".

I believe what I believe and vote the way I vote precisely because of my values.

I'm tired of the right trying to act like they have the monopoly on values, family, religion, etc.

Especially when so many of their brethren have exhibited anything but whether it be war profiteering to chasing after young boys.

Share your values here:
DG
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Values Voter'#2
Posted: 10/19/07 at 5:52pm
I used to be valued at $500.00 an hour.

Now, on the open market, I can be had for a cup of coffee and cab fare.
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Values Voter'#2
Posted: 10/19/07 at 6:14pm
Ha ha!

What's your prison rate?
Liverpool Profile PhotoLiverpool Profile Photo
Liverpool
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Values Voter'#3
Posted: 10/19/07 at 6:15pm
3 butts and some extra lunch meat.
artscallion Profile Photoartscallion Profile Photo
artscallion
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Values Voter'#4
Posted: 10/19/07 at 6:32pm
"3 butts and some extra lunch meat"

Hey! That's the name of the garage band I was in in High School!
Art has a double face, of expression and illusion.
Updated On: 10/19/07 at 06:32 PM
papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
'values voter'#5
Posted: 10/19/07 at 8:08pm
the right didn't come up with nor do they continue to perpetuate this term. it was a media invention coined because they got sick of the falwellian and atwater-esque silent majority.

it's a term that describes a gigantic voting bloc in this country that tends to share similar feelings about specific issues. whether you agree with those feelings or not, trying to blame the right for developing the term is like blaming me for coming up with the term breck girl to describe paper-thin candidates with little or no shot at lasting beyond february at the most.

we didn't decide to call them values voter, jerby, the media did and they did so as a sign of derision implying that these voters were not informed enough to vote on anything other than their own personal values.

but thank you for sharing some righteous, if ignorant, indignation.
r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
JustAGuy Profile PhotoJustAGuy Profile Photo
JustAGuy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
'values voter'#6
Posted: 10/19/07 at 8:59pm
"the right didn't come up with nor do they continue to perpetuate this term."

They may not have come up with the term, Papa, but they certainly are continuing to perpetuate it. This week, the Values Voters Summit is being held in Washington, DC. It's sponsored by the Family Research Council and among those who will be speaking are:

Sean Hannity, Tony Snow, Dr. Bill Bennett, Newt Gingrich, Governors Mitt Romney and Mike Huckabee, Senators Sam Brownback, George Allen and Rick Santorum, Dr. Richard Land and Judge Charles Pickering, and several other Republican presidential hopefuls.

Not a moderate or a Democrat in the bunch. If that's not perpetuating the use of the term, I don't know what is.
"Just a Guy. Your feelings are touching. I am gladdened by the thought that you will one day wind up 6 feet under as we all do." - MrRoxy ------ "I do not suggest you walk out the door onto a New York street with your vulnerable child part exposed and not protected..." - Jason Bennett
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
'values voter'#7
Posted: 10/19/07 at 9:07pm
Seems like a real embracing of the term.

Can you hear me now? Twitter: @NamoInExile
DG
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
'values voter'#8
Posted: 10/19/07 at 10:06pm
'Family Values' screams 'incest' to me - am I alone in this interpretation?

And papa, whatever basis in reality your argument holds, it doesn't change what it has come to mean in the common press and thought.
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
'values voter'#9
Posted: 10/20/07 at 2:40pm
I was responding directly to a news story about the event that JustAGuy posted about. I never addressed who invented it. I was addressing people who DO claim it.

Thus, thank you, papa, for sharing your righteous, if ignorant, response.
DBillyP Profile PhotoDBillyP Profile Photo
DBillyP
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
'values voter'#10
Posted: 10/22/07 at 10:30am
Jerby, what your original post expresses is exactly why my church started its non-profit, Hope for Peace & Justice, which seeks to help progressive people of faith find THEIR voice.
"I am open, and I am willing, For to be hopeless would seem so strange. It dishonors those who go before us, So lift me up to the light of change." Holly Near
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
'values voter'#11
Posted: 10/22/07 at 12:33pm
I'm very glad to hear that. Of course, your church rocks. :)

Read the comments on the following video of mine, and you will see that too many people think there is only one way to interpret the Bible--theirs. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvKBFwWj-gI

We do need more voices for the religious left.
mateo Profile Photomateo Profile Photo
mateo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
'values voter'#12
Posted: 10/22/07 at 12:47pm
My select-dyslexia read this thread as "Voulez Vous."
"Zac is sweet as can be. He's very much just a sweet kid from California who happens to have a face that looks like it was drawn by Michelangelo, (if Michelangelo did anime)."
-Adam Shankman.

"I haven't left this building since Windows 3.1!"

"Celebrating a birthday this week: Rene Descartes is 412! Do you know who he is? Then why are you watching this show? You could probably get into college and even get one of those job things. As for the rest of us; Amanda Bynes is 22! Yay!"
-E!'s "The Soup"
Roninjoey Profile PhotoRoninjoey Profile Photo
Roninjoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
'values voter'#13
Posted: 10/22/07 at 3:55pm
Speaking of values, Mateo, what is it that Zac Efron is doing to American boys instead of girls? It's gonna drive me crazy that I can't remember that kanji.

JRB this reminds me of my personal opinion that the pro-choice movement should take back the term "pro-life". I am pro-life. The life that's already here on this earth rather than merely theoretical. I personally think I've got stronger moral values than a lot of Christians I know. Although papalovesmambo gives the media FAR too much credit (they pander for a reason) he's right that we should exercise control over the labels given to us. The left has as much right to morality as the other side does.
yr ronin,
joey
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
'values voter'#14
Posted: 10/22/07 at 4:15pm
Exactly. I agree.

I definitely have more morals than those how tell me that my faggot ass is going to hell. lol
The Boy From Ohio Profile PhotoThe Boy From Ohio Profile Photo
The Boy From Ohio
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
'values voter'#15
Posted: 10/22/07 at 4:19pm
I'm a "values voter"...my values are just a little to the left.
9/10 - Next To Normal, Ensemble Theatre
9/18 - Brian Stokes Mitchell, Cincy Pop's
9/28 - Death Of A Salesman, Wright State
Roninjoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
'values voter'#16
Posted: 10/22/07 at 4:34pm
Haha. I'm a bit suspicious of anyone who fervently believes in hell, which is a concept that feels apocryphal (and self contradicting) even in the bible and mostly comes from Dante, mythology, and historically paranoid thinking. Really, the whole affair is a bit morbid and cruel. The Jewish version of Hell which would theoretically be the same as our Christian version is entirely different, but Christians are nothing if not extremely good at making up their own version of the religion they claim to practice.

Also I always wonder why people always call Homosexuality an "abomination". If God is infallible, why has he created people whose basest animal nature urges them to sin? If Jesus had to die for our sins, are we all inherently evil? Did God create people to be inherently evil? If God knows everything and created everything (including every movement of our life) then how do we have free will? Why would God create an enormous body of self perpetuating life forms for the sheer fun of arbitrarily sending most of them to hell and bringing some of them to Heaven (because the nature of infallibilty implies that God is WHOLLY responsible for controlling your path in life that would lead you one way or the other). Did EVERYONE go to hell before Jesus came except for Jewish people? What about societies that lived in ignorant bliss of Christianity for thousands of years?

I don't get why anyone takes any of this literally.
yr ronin,
joey
mateo Profile Photomateo Profile Photo
mateo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
'values voter'#17
Posted: 10/22/07 at 4:41pm
"American Girls *cross out* Boys are in love with you/him."
"Zac is sweet as can be. He's very much just a sweet kid from California who happens to have a face that looks like it was drawn by Michelangelo, (if Michelangelo did anime)."
-Adam Shankman.

"I haven't left this building since Windows 3.1!"

"Celebrating a birthday this week: Rene Descartes is 412! Do you know who he is? Then why are you watching this show? You could probably get into college and even get one of those job things. As for the rest of us; Amanda Bynes is 22! Yay!"
-E!'s "The Soup"
Updated On: 10/22/07 at 04:41 PM
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
'values voter'#18
Posted: 10/22/07 at 4:44pm
But, you CHOSE to be gay. You know you did!
Roninjoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
'values voter'#19
Posted: 10/22/07 at 4:45pm
I thought it was love (or a similiar sentiment) but I couldn't think what word it was.
yr ronin,
joey