Page: 1

The Price is Right - Drew Carey

LaurenB
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
The Price is Right - Drew Carey#1
Posted: 10/19/07 at 11:55am
I was just channel surfing and caught The Price is Right with its new host, Drew Carey.

Hmmm, time will tell... He's kind of stiff and uncharasmatic, but maybe he'll grow into the job. I was hoping they'd give the job to George Hamilton (LOL, as if I really care). But I've always liked George and his self-effacing sense of humor. I thought he'd be a hoot dealing with all the grannies and crazy contestants.
Mother's Younger Brother Profile PhotoMother's Younger Brother Profile Photo
Mother's Younger Brother
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Price is Right - Drew Carey#2
Posted: 10/19/07 at 12:03pm
I completely agree. I watched Drew's first show, and thought he was terribly stiff and even a bit uncomfortable. His best moment was when a crazy-lady kept panting, "I love you Drew!" and he finally said, "I like you as a friend."

Anyway, I find it strange that he is SO different from Bob Barker, yet they kept the show's format and design exactly the same. I know they probably didn't want to freak out the loyal viewers and change everything at once, but I couldn't help comparing the situation to when Jay Leno took over for Johnny Carson. In the first year or so, the show's format was basically the same, with only a few cosmetic changes. It took a while for Leno to branch out a little and more comfortable. Maybe after a while Drew's style and the show's style will be a better match.
Andante Profile PhotoAndante Profile Photo
Andante
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: The Price is Right - Drew Carey#2
Posted: 10/19/07 at 2:45pm
I have high hopes for Drew. Probably the majority of negative criticism that comes from him is for two reasons-

1) He's not Bob Barker. Audiences are used to his charismatic presence, and have been since he started hosting the show eons ago. It will take time to get used to Drew.

2)Drew hosted "Whose Line"; game shows are a whole different world than improv. Yeah, there's quite a bit of improv involved in both, but being the sole dynamic figure of a show as big as Price is Right versus being a host where there are other performers is definitely something new for Drew.

I like how he mentions the Barker Beauties by their first names, and how he asks contestants that spin the wheel if they want to say to anyone on TV. As he said when he assumed the job, "It's about the audience and the show, not the host."
jakebloke Profile Photojakebloke Profile Photo
jakebloke
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: The Price is Right - Drew Carey#3
Posted: 10/19/07 at 3:28pm
I agree. I Only saw a few minutes, but thought it was very bland. No personality was coming through at all.