Favorite Restaurants in NYC

bernadette88
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Favorite Restaurants in NYC#1
Posted: 10/19/07 at 10:52am
A post on "What do in NYC" prompted me to make this. What are some of your favorite restaurants you've discovered in the city?

Pastis - 9 9th Ave. The homemade mushroom ravioli with Brown Butter and Sage is to die for!

Q2 Thai - 788 9th Ave btw. 52nd and 53rd Everything's AMAZING

Scarlatto - Right next to the Brooks Atkinson Theatre. The pumpkin ravioli is out of this world as if the Ravioli alla Vodka with sundried tomatoes!

kover22 Profile Photokover22 Profile Photo
kover22
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Favorite Restaurants in NYC#2
Posted: 10/19/07 at 11:43am
Rue 57 - I think it is on 57th and 7th or 57th and 6th I can't remember. The food there was amazing though, when I get back to NY it will be top on my list for food!!!
I have RSD...but it doesn't have me!!!!
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Favorite Restaurants in NYC#2
Posted: 10/19/07 at 11:49am
Las Ramblas (between Cornelia St. and Jones St.) - amazing tapas, the one dessert I've always ordered is delicious, the sangria is divine. A little pricey.

Milos (55th between 6th and Broadway) - the best fish I've ever had. Expensive.

Suteishi (on Peck Slip north of the South Street Seaport) - moderately-priced, well-prepared sushi. I've tried all the super-cheap sushi restaurants around the NYU area, and sushi just isn't the same unless you're paying a bit more for it.

Zen Palate (locations around city) - the only thing I truly like here is the veggie burger with yam fries. Reasonably priced and probably the best veggie burger I've had. I think I've eaten at least 10 of these in the last month.
sweetdisaster Profile Photosweetdisaster Profile Photo
sweetdisaster
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Favorite Restaurants in NYC#3
Posted: 10/19/07 at 12:39pm
Rosa Mexicano- My favorite restaurant in New York. There's two locations, but I like the one on 1st and 58th better than the one on Columbus Ave. It's a little pricey btu well worth it. The guacamole made right at your table is worth the trip alone.
ShbrtAlley44 Profile PhotoShbrtAlley44 Profile Photo
ShbrtAlley44
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Favorite Restaurants in NYC#4
Posted: 10/19/07 at 1:15pm
Since this says "NYC," I'm going to list other boroughs as well.

Manhattan (I barely ever venture out of the theatre district) -
Kodama Sushi - 45th and 8th. I'm in there CONSTANTLY (helps that I work across the street). So are all manner of theatre celebs - whee!
Trattoria Trecolori - 47th btw 7/8.
John's Pizzeria - 44th btw 7/8.
Junior's - in Shubert Alley (shut up, you know you love it, even though it's a big tourist trap - the burgers are sooo yummy).
Le Pain Quotidien (all over the place) - I adore the buffalo mozzarella salad and a pain au chocolat.
California Pizza - University Place & Union Square South. Best gyros EVER.

Brooklyn-
Peter Luger - 178 Broadway. No more need be said.
Kotobuki Bistro - Columbia St. btwn DeGraw and Sackett, I want to say. Consistently fresh sushi and great service.
Taci's Beyti - Coney Island Ave. Best Turkish I've had, and very, very reasonably priced. I've eaten there with three other people and the check comes to about 60 dollars, and we eat a LOT.
Gargiulo's - Don't know the street but it's in Coney Island proper. Yummy Italian, wonderful waiters who kiss all the females (in a friendly way) in my family when we come visit.
Grimaldi's - Old Fulton St. PIZZA!!
Meze - 13th Ave and 65th. Greek.

Staten Island-
Trattoria Romana - Hylan Blvd. Excellent food, great service.
Joe & Pat's - Victory Blvd. Love their pizza.
Zorba's Mediterranean Grill - Hylan Blvd. Excellent Greek food.
Island Coffee Shop - Victory Blvd. Very, very popular little coffee shop. I love their Greek salads; absolutely smothered in feta cheese for my sodium fix.
D2 Profile PhotoD2 Profile Photo
D2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Favorite Restaurants in NYC#5
Posted: 10/19/07 at 1:21pm
Cafe Gray, Time Warner Center
Artisinal, 32nd and Park
JoJo's, 64th and Lex
Ouest, Broadway & 84th
Aix, Broadway & 88th
Rue 57, 57th and 6th
Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)
Calvin Profile PhotoCalvin Profile Photo
Calvin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Favorite Restaurants in NYC#6
Posted: 10/19/07 at 1:28pm
Here's my favorite East Village (or close by) spots

Mario Batali's Otto on 5th Ave. and 8th Street. Very reasonably priced, and the veggie sides are great to go along with the pizza -- one's big enough for two people if you get a couple of veggie dishes. The pasta dishes are cooked quite al dente and are also worth checking out. Service is SLOWWWWW, however.

Smac, of course, on East 12th near 1st Ave. The ginger wasabi mac & cheese they have now is wonderful, but you can't go wrong with the brie and figs one.

I went with some friends a few weeks ago to Counter at 1st Ave. and 7th Street. It's vegetarian, mostly vegan, and great, but a little pricey.

If you want a nasty (in a good way), greasy burger, go to Paul's on 2nd Ave. and St. Marks. They do turkey substitute if you're like me and don't really eat beef. Oh, and if you want to give your heart an even bigger shock, grab some Belgian fries from Pommes Frites next door. They have about 20 dipping sauces to choose from. And Paul's wont let you eat the Pommes Frites fries in the restaurant even if you order something from there. Kinda stupid, if you ask me. They should really take advantage of that synergy, especially since their fries aren't too good.

And I also like WD-50 in the Lower East Side, but it's also rather pricey. Lots of really inventive dishes there.
jakebloke Profile Photojakebloke Profile Photo
jakebloke
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Favorite Restaurants in NYC#7
Posted: 10/19/07 at 3:16pm
I don't know if I have a particular favorite restaurant, but here are a few.

my favorite frozen margarita is at Rancho...Amsterdam b/w 87th and 88th. One of my favorite meals was my wasabi crusted filet mignon at Tao....58th bw Madison and Park.
I love 44 1/2 on 10th ave bw 44th and 45th.
One of my favorite desserts is sticky toffee pudding at Schillers....131 Rivington St (LES) It also has one of my favorite cocktails....called the Delancey...so good.
Rathnait62 Profile PhotoRathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Favorite Restaurants in NYC#8
Posted: 10/19/07 at 3:18pm
I love 44 1/2. That's a special spot for a special friend and I. We call it "our" place.
Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson
Revolutionary Profile PhotoRevolutionary Profile Photo
Revolutionary
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Favorite Restaurants in NYC#9
Posted: 10/19/07 at 3:21pm
When anyone ever mentions Otto I automatically think LARDO PIZZA. Seriously though, I've tried to like that place, but I've discovered that the only thing there that's really good is their cheese plate. Everything else is just, eh.

My favorite restaurant ever is Kenka in St Marks and 2nd Ave. It's like straight Japanese street food, everything comes in really small, perfectly cooked portions for really tiny prices. Almost everything is under $6 and Sapparo draft beer is like $1.50. They're open until 3am and oh, they have a cotton candy machine and a smoking patio. :)

And yeah, Pastis is awesome.
chris d
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Favorite Restaurants in NYC#10
Posted: 10/19/07 at 3:23pm
I so rarely go to restaurants lately. I used to be vegan, and I went to Angelica Kitchen (12st bet 1st and 2nd aves.) a lot. the food is great, especially their cornbread. yum. :)
Broadwayboobs Profile PhotoBroadwayboobs Profile Photo
Broadwayboobs
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Favorite Restaurants in NYC#11
Posted: 10/19/07 at 3:24pm
Maria's Mont Blanc... 48th bet. 8th & 9th Ave's

44 & X .. corner of 44th & 10th Ave.

The Garage ... 7th Ave (off of Christopher)

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. Ralph Waldo Emerson
jakebloke
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Favorite Restaurants in NYC#12
Posted: 10/19/07 at 3:27pm
44 1/2 has great food, great atmosphere etc, and it has cute waiters usually which is an extra bonus. I think it's a sister restaurant to 44 & X which is also good.
Liverpool Profile PhotoLiverpool Profile Photo
Liverpool
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Favorite Restaurants in NYC#13
Posted: 10/19/07 at 3:29pm
Tio Pepes (somehwere near the W4th ABCDEF stop (dont remember exactly as Ive only been there once.)) Amazing Latin food, and tasty Sangria. Ive never been so happy to have spent 50 dollars by myself in my life.
Updated On: 10/19/07 at 03:29 PM
jakebloke
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Favorite Restaurants in NYC#14
Posted: 10/19/07 at 3:33pm
I forgot to mention my favorite brunch. You can find it at Jane on Houston St or Neptune Room on Amsterdam bw 84th and 85th. Their french toast is amazing. Thick, but light, airy bread that's marinated in creme brule before cooked. So good. They also have great menus for dinner etc.
Jane2 Profile PhotoJane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Favorite Restaurants in NYC#15
Posted: 10/19/07 at 3:36pm
I like Jane also, lol! Seriously, that restaurant has special meaning for me since I became friends with a special person that day, at that restaurant!
<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES
Mr Roxy Profile PhotoMr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Favorite Restaurants in NYC#16
Posted: 10/19/07 at 6:11pm
At least the food at Thalia was great.
Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 10/21/07 at 06:11 PM
bernadette88
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Favorite Restaurants in NYC#17
Posted: 10/19/07 at 9:42pm
Forgot about Max Brenner's located at 841 Broadway between 13th and 14th and then another location at Union Square It's absolutely sinful! If you're a chocolate fan you MUST check this place out - you will fall in love instantly!
Updated On: 10/19/07 at 09:42 PM
Glebb Profile PhotoGlebb Profile Photo
Glebb
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Favorite Restaurants in NYC#18
Posted: 10/19/07 at 10:10pm
Used to love 'Tout Va Bien' near 8th ave in the 50s.
" ...the happiness in the tune convinces me that I'm not afraid."
scott68 Profile Photoscott68 Profile Photo
scott68
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Favorite Restaurants in NYC#19
Posted: 10/19/07 at 10:38pm
My favorite fast foodie-standlike place is far and away Pommes Frites. The parmesan peppercorn sauce is to die for (and well worth the cross-town walk for me).

As for sit-down, the Spotted Pig has the best burger around. I'd never thought that a good burger could be described as "melt-in-your-mouth," but... well, now I've been enlightened.
"Why, I make more money than... than... than Calvin Coolidge! PUT TOGETHER!"
~Lina Lamont

My name wasn't, isn't, and will never be Scott.
bwaylvsong
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Favorite Restaurants in NYC#20
Posted: 10/20/07 at 1:15am
Liverpool, the food at Tio Pepe's is delicious, but the last time I ate there there were roaches.
Corine2 Profile PhotoCorine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Favorite Restaurants in NYC#21
Posted: 10/20/07 at 1:34am
21 Club- Burgers
Meli Melo- Chocolate Mousse Cake/Chocolate Temptation
Shun Lee- Chinese
Raku- Sushi on a budget.
Nobu- When I can splurge.
City Crab- Shrimp
The Cottage- Best inexpensive chinese
Cafe Edison- The best soup I am addicted to the Cabbage soup.
Zarela/Rosa Mexicana- Mexican
(Pom Margarita's at Rosa Mexicana)

Updated On: 10/20/07 at 01:34 AM
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Favorite Restaurants in NYC#22
Posted: 10/20/07 at 1:37am
Oh, I forgot Max Brenner's. Sometimes you'll get a bad batch of fruit and banana bread for the fondue, but usually it's pretty divine.

I used to absolutely love Raku (and the owner Ray), but the last couple of times I visited, the rice was hard and the fish didn't taste as fresh. I've been unfortunately turned off since, especially since I've found another great sushi place in midtown with comparable prices and an even better one down where I live.
Corine2 Profile PhotoCorine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Favorite Restaurants in NYC#23
Posted: 10/20/07 at 1:40am
I love Ray.
Ask for the special Corine's Corner Happy Hour menu and tell Ray what happened. He will make it right!!!!
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Favorite Restaurants in NYC#24
Posted: 10/20/07 at 1:42am
Yeah, it was probably just a fluke. Restaurants are just tricky in the sense that it's hard to bring yourself back to them after one bad experience, even if that mentality doesn't make sense logically.

Page: 1