Page: 1

Lars and the Girl: Recommended

fflagg Profile Photofflagg Profile Photo
fflagg
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Lars and the Girl: Recommended#1
Posted: 10/14/07 at 7:08pm
Despite the snotty review in Friday's New York Times, I checked out this film and was pleasantly surprised.

A bittersweet film about delusion, illusion, and the greatness of Patricia Clarkson, this is not a star vehicle for the impressive Ryan Gosling. It is a unique film worth your eleven dollars.

And based on Ryan's singing he goes to the front of the line for the film versions of PROMISES, PROMISES [with Emily Blunt] and COMPANY. If Ms. Clarkson can sing give her "Ladies Who Lunch." What a criminally underappreciated actress.
Do you know what happens when you let Veal Prince Orloff sit in an oven too long?
Auggie27 Profile PhotoAuggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Lars and the Girl: Recommended#2
Posted: 10/14/07 at 7:59pm
Thanks for the heads up. The review was beyond snotty, half of it devoted to deconstructing the sub-genre, 25% devoted to explaining indie vs. studio practices, and a number of pargraphs allocated to analyze thefilm, and this gifted leading man. Gosling is a remarkable talent. I wouldn't miss anything he's in. And isn't it amazing how different he looks as this character? At least in the print ads. Apparently, he's put on weight for his role as the tortured dad in THE LOVELY BONES. I hope he continues to select interesting roles.
"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
WOSQ
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Lars and the Girl: Recommended#2
Posted: 10/15/07 at 9:43am
Spoiler:

Okay, I missed the joke about the "first wife being a Klepto", and "she was buried in dungarees". I still haven't made the connection.

I need enlightenment. (God knows.)
"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true. And that would be unacceptable." --Carrie Fisher
Phyllis Rogers Stone
Suspended
Suspended
re: Lars and the Girl: Recommended#3
Posted: 5/11/08 at 2:10pm
Okay, I missed the joke about the "first wife being a Klepto", and "she was buried in dungarees". I still haven't made the connection.

I know I'm late to respond, but I saw it last night, and I think the line is "She was buried in my earrings."

I can't believe how much I enjoyed this movie. I wasn't quite sure what to expect. I think I was expecting it to be more quirky (at least from its premise). What floored me was how much warmth and heart there was in it. It's ultimately such a celebration of the depths of human kindness and decency. I found it very moving.
Kristie-K2 Profile PhotoKristie-K2 Profile Photo
Kristie-K2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Lars and the Girl: Recommended#4
Posted: 5/11/08 at 2:42pm
We just rented this movie...The most insane movie I have ever seen. I loved it!!! Ryan Gosling was Brilliant...I teared up so many times during the movie...Without giving anything away, I love the way the town was so cool and really loved Lars....One of the most interesting movies I have seen in a long time.
otis33 Profile Photootis33 Profile Photo
otis33
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Lars and the Girl: Recommended#5
Posted: 5/11/08 at 3:05pm
I just saw this a few nights ago. I'd been waiting for a while to see it. I LOVED it! The trailer led me to believe it was a little more slap-sticky, which it was not. Such a gentle sweet movie. And no one has mentioned Kelli Garner yet. I thought she was lovely.
christhefish Profile Photochristhefish Profile Photo
christhefish
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Lars and the Girl: Recommended#6
Posted: 5/11/08 at 3:28pm
The film is amazing, one of my favroite films of last year. It was really poorly marketed they tried to make it look like some teenage sex comedy, but its heartbreakingly beautiful
raulfan Profile Photoraulfan Profile Photo
raulfan
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Lars and the Girl: Recommended#7
Posted: 5/11/08 at 4:34pm
I also saw it and loved it. Very endearing movie.
JbaraFan1
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Lars and the Girl: Recommended#8
Posted: 5/11/08 at 7:28pm
Thanks, all! I really want to see this. It's at the top of my Netflix cue. (Have to watch and return Fracture first though.)
keen on kean Profile Photokeen on kean Profile Photo
keen on kean
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Lars and the Girl: Recommended#9
Posted: 5/11/08 at 10:56pm
I enjoyed this movie a lot, and was pleased that it didn't descend into sophomoric humor (as the trailer suggested it might). It is so hard to find anything this truly original coming out of Hollywood any more.
shira467 Profile Photoshira467 Profile Photo
shira467
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Lars and the Girl: Recommended#10
Posted: 11/15/08 at 9:47pm
I'm watching this movie right now. It's absolutely fascinating and unique.
Deet: Shira, I Love You!