Musical Theatre Programs?

Born2cthelightsofbway Profile PhotoBorn2cthelightsofbway Profile Photo
Born2cthelightsofbway
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Musical Theatre Programs?#1
Posted: 10/12/07 at 8:02pm
I was wondering if anyone could either give me a link to a list of Musical Theatre programs, or just tell me of some? The thing is, I don't want to go to any that require academics as well. Thanks!
"You alone can make my song take flight, it's over now, the Music of the Night!!!!!"
Fenchurch
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Musical Theatre Programs?#2
Posted: 10/12/07 at 8:03pm
You'll be a better performer if you have a rounded education. The best performers are the ones with the general knowledge to inform their performances.

Rethink it.
"Fenchurch is correct, as usual." -Keen on Kean
"Fenchurch is correct, as usual." - muscle23ftl
JustAGuy Profile PhotoJustAGuy Profile Photo
JustAGuy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Musical Theatre Programs?#2
Posted: 10/12/07 at 8:05pm
"You'll be a better performer if you have a rounded education. The best performers are the ones with the general knowledge to inform their performances.

Rethink it."

Just to play devils advocate, do you have any evidence to back up that statement, or is it just your opinion only?
"Just a Guy. Your feelings are touching. I am gladdened by the thought that you will one day wind up 6 feet under as we all do." - MrRoxy ------ "I do not suggest you walk out the door onto a New York street with your vulnerable child part exposed and not protected..." - Jason Bennett
Fenchurch
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Musical Theatre Programs?#3
Posted: 10/12/07 at 8:12pm
Just from personal experience. The most dedicated, professional, truly excellent performances from people I know and have worked with have been from people who take it seriously enough to research their roles. And talking to them, I realized that most of them chose theater/music/opera/whatever as a second career choice, or at least had varied interests besides theater/music/opera. I was surprised because I always had this idea of the vapid performer, but these people were artists, truly informing a work in a way an author just can't do. it's an integral part of the process and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Conversely, most of the people I know who come out of AGMA, and other non-academic programs are idiots, who can barely read music and wouldn't even know where to begin to research a role. I often wonder what these schools are teaching.
papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
musical theatre programs?#4
Posted: 10/12/07 at 8:17pm
i other words, your opinion. pretty much like every other post you make. your opinion passed off as fact.
r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
Born2cthelightsofbway
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Musical Theatre Programs?#5
Posted: 10/12/07 at 8:18pm
Its not like everybody on Broadway needs a degree, its not required. Plus, if you are meant to be on stage, its your true gift that will get you there. Not that fact that you know chemistry.
"You alone can make my song take flight, it's over now, the Music of the Night!!!!!"
DG
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Musical Theatre Programs?#6
Posted: 10/12/07 at 8:20pm
Fenchurch - if I read correctly in another thread, you recently bought a student discount ticket - which I would assume means you are still a student. How many different programs and their graduates could you know and/or worked with?
Fenchurch
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Musical Theatre Programs?#7
Posted: 10/12/07 at 8:21pm
"Plus, if you are meant to be on stage, its your true gift that will get you there."

That's a fallacy that you need to get rid of right now.

"Not that fact that you know chemistry".

actually, I was talking more about the humanities, history, literature, etc. it informs every performing decision you make if you do it well. Great actors, are educated people as well as gifted performers.
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
musical theatre programs?#8
Posted: 10/12/07 at 8:23pm
he's fenfenmuhammedlikedtheyoungerboyschurch, dg, he merely need say it for it to be fact.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
JustAGuy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Musical Theatre Programs?#9
Posted: 10/12/07 at 8:25pm
"Conversely, most of the people I know who come out of AGMA, and other non-academic programs are idiots, who can barely read music and wouldn't even know where to begin to research a role. I often wonder what these schools are teaching."

Or perhaps, the people that you know that have come out of these programs are simply idiots. And it wouldn't have made any difference where they chose to study, or if they chose not to study anywhere at all.
"Just a Guy. Your feelings are touching. I am gladdened by the thought that you will one day wind up 6 feet under as we all do." - MrRoxy ------ "I do not suggest you walk out the door onto a New York street with your vulnerable child part exposed and not protected..." - Jason Bennett
Fenchurch
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Musical Theatre Programs?#10
Posted: 10/12/07 at 8:26pm
That's entirely possible, but highly unlikely.

I'm just offering this student my opinion based on my experience. nothing wrong with that.
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
musical theatre programs?#11
Posted: 10/12/07 at 8:26pm
jag, how dare you question fenfenmartyrdommissionsaremylifechurch's obvious command of all things theatre related?

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

Born2cthelightsofbway
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Musical Theatre Programs?#12
Posted: 10/12/07 at 8:28pm
"Plus, if you are meant to be on stage, its your true gift that will get you there."

This is something I belive, and do not need to get rid of it.

humanities, history, literature- And I went to one of the best prep schools in the US, I know the things I need to know. Your brains don't get you Broadway, your talent does.
JustAGuy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
musical theatre programs?#13
Posted: 10/12/07 at 8:32pm
"That's entirely possible, but highly unlikely.

I don't really find it all that unlikely, considering the number of people that come out of these programs each year, and the number who actually make a career as a performer. Just remember no matter how great the program, half of the students in it finish in the bottom half.

"I'm just offering this student my opinion based on my experience. nothing wrong with that."

No, there's nothing wrong with offering an opinion. But, I believe that it should be stated as an opinion, and not a fact.
Fenchurch
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Musical Theatre Programs?#14
Posted: 10/12/07 at 8:35pm
Kid,

I wish you luck. Maybe one day your starry eyes will see the truth. I'm an excellent singer and performer, and have gotten literally all of my professional work through contacts and people who have been more impressed with my overall command of the genre than with my talent. I know that I'm good, it's obvious, but I'm not the best and there are 100 guys just as good as me out there, and they might be more attractive, taller, shorter, whatever, but when they ask me questions about why I sang this note this way, or why I did that with the rhythm, I'm always ready with historical perspective and examples about why I made the artistic decision I did, and nine times out of ten, that's what gets me the job. because they know not only can I deliver the performance they want, they know I will be an asset to the production. It's happened countless times to me.

Oh yeah, and it helps to read music. Do you?
Updated On: 10/12/07 at 08:35 PM
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
musical theatre programs?#15
Posted: 10/12/07 at 8:37pm
wow, just wow.

i want to save this one for posterity.

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

Born2cthelightsofbway
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Musical Theatre Programs?#16
Posted: 10/12/07 at 8:38pm
Hey, thats all well and good. But I am 18, going on 19. I graduated early two years ago and have since been working with a well known opera company in NYC for the past 2 years, as there youngest chorus member ever. So my "starry eyes" have seen the truth. I have also been working since I was 4. Good luck.
JustAGuy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Musical Theatre Programs?#17
Posted: 10/12/07 at 8:43pm
"Kid,

I wish you luck. Maybe one day your starry eyes will see the truth. I'm an excellent singer and performer, and have gotten literally all of my professional work through contacts and people who have been more impressed with my overall command of the genre than with my talent. I know that I'm good, it's obvious, but I'm not the best and there are 100 guys just as good as me out there, and they might be more attractive, taller, shorter, whatever, but when they ask me questions about why I sang this note this way, or why I did that with the rhythm, I'm always ready with historical perspective and examples about why I made the artistic decision I did, and nine times out of ten, that's what gets me the job. because they know not only can I deliver the performance they want, they know I will be an asset to the production. It's happened countless times to me.

Oh yeah, and it helps to read music. Do you?"

Do you have any idea how condescending and full of yourself you sound? Why anyone would want to follow you as an example would boggle my mind. There's nothing worse in my opinion, than working with someone who thinks he knows it all. Not only does it poison the process, it doesn't allow for experimentation or discovery. When you're working with someone who believes that they are always right and their take on things is the best take, it stifles creativity and does not benefit the production.
supportivemom Profile Photosupportivemom Profile Photo
supportivemom
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Musical Theatre Programs?#18
Posted: 10/12/07 at 8:43pm
If you continued your education, you would know that you spell their- T-H-E-I-R, not T-H-E-R-E. Sorry- this is just a huge pet peeve of mine! Congrats on your accomplishments though.
Fenchurch
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Musical Theatre Programs?#19
Posted: 10/12/07 at 8:45pm
JAG, I never said that. This is just my opinion, and in the rehearsal process I am always humble and attentive, I would only offer my opinion if it was asked.
Born2cthelightsofbway
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Musical Theatre Programs?#20
Posted: 10/12/07 at 8:47pm
Isn't their possesive though? The opera company doesn't own me. Thank you though: )
supportivemom Profile Photosupportivemom Profile Photo
supportivemom
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Musical Theatre Programs?#21
Posted: 10/12/07 at 8:53pm
You are a part of their company. There belongs with where. They're is they are. Even though the opera company doesn't own you, you still do not use the word there in that sentence. It's also my pet peeve when people say your so talented instead of you're so talented. Communicating properly is important whether you have a degree or not. Good luck with your decision. I will say that having an education will never hurt you though! I definitely believe it would enhance your experiences.
Fenchurch
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Musical Theatre Programs?#22
Posted: 10/12/07 at 8:56pm
Supportivemom,

I appreciate your attempts, but it's a huge pet peeve of mine when people correct someone else's English, especially when their meaning is perfectly communicated despite the spelling error.
How important was it that you correct him? Isn't the idea far more important?
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
musical theatre programs?#23
Posted: 10/12/07 at 8:58pm
spoken like a true illiterate.

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

JustAGuy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Musical Theatre Programs?#24
Posted: 10/12/07 at 9:04pm
"JAG, I never said that. This is just my opinion, and in the rehearsal process I am always humble and attentive, I would only offer my opinion if it was asked."

I'm sorry, but when you address someone as KID that is simply condescending. Then you go on to tell him he's blinded by his "starry eyes" without so much as qualifying it with an 'I believe' or 'perhaps', that's NOT an opinion you've stated, it was stated as fact. Then you continue with "I'm an excellent singer and performer..." Tell me what is humble about that?

Your own words refute your argument.