Page: 1

New film version of THE WIZARD OF OZ in the works

Michael Bennett Profile PhotoMichael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
From producer Todd McFarlane and Josh Olson (A History of Violence). The article is a little misleading. Its a new film version inspired by the darker sci fi elements of the original story (not a remake of the MGM classic). Sort of RETURN TO OZ meets LORD OF THE RINGS. The original book could use a strong non-singing filming - hopefully this will be it.

http://www.rte.ie/arts/2007/0823/wizardofoz.html
Updated On: 8/28/07 at 01:04 AM
Roninjoey Profile PhotoRoninjoey Profile Photo
Roninjoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The book isn't exactly dark...
yr ronin,
joey
Elphaba Profile PhotoElphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
sheesh, first Tinman, and now this. Just gtell tehm to leave it alone....
It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956
zepka102 Profile Photozepka102 Profile Photo
zepka102
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I was hoping that one day a non-musical movie based completely on the original book would be made. This doesn't sound like it. I'm curious to find out more details though.
::bust a move::
SueleenGay Profile PhotoSueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
sheesh, first Tinman, and now this. Just gtell tehm to leave it alone....

That is a very funny post coming from someone named ELPHABA!

And what do you mean "FIRST Tinman"? They have been mucking with Oz since day one.
PEACE.
misschung Profile Photomisschung Profile Photo
misschung
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
the darker sci fi elements of the original story

Interesting...

Never considered myself a sci fi fan, but maybe I was just fooling myself all these years
The morning star always gets wonderful bright the minute before it has to go --doesn't it?
best12bars Profile Photobest12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Well, there isn't much sci-fi in Oz.

I don't even think there's much electricity in Oz!

But darker elements? Absolutely! Lots of wars, battles, takeovers, "monsters," magic, large-scale stuff. There's also a lot of whimsy and humor in the books. The MGM movie wasn't faithful to the first book, but it captured the "feel" pretty damn well. And anyone who thinks that Margaret Hamilton and those flying monkeys aren't "dark" and disturbing is crazy. According to AFI, she's the third most memorable villain in movie history.

For me, she's #1.
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
""You've still got Dorothy trapped in an odd place, but she's much closer to the Ripley from Alien than a helpless singing girl."

Okay, I have to say I HATE that.

Dorothy isn't Ripley. She may not be a singing Judy Garland, but she isn't friggin' RAMBO. WAY off the mark there.

And if they want to make it more like the Lord of the Rings movie trilogy, they would do better to emulate the BOOKS. They didn't turn Frodo Baggins into Wil Smith either.

I like the idea of exploring the original material in a different way, but this sounds like an overtly obvious attempt to fit it into the blockbuster mold. And they'll sink quickly into conventionality and paint-by-numbers film making if they do that.
ScottyDoesn'tKnow Profile PhotoScottyDoesn'tKnow Profile Photo
ScottyDoesn'tKnow
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
I hate the quotes by McFarlene. It's more musical-bashing tripe.
"[Gore] was widely perceived as arrogant. If you know something, you're not smart. You're a smarty-pants. It's annoying. People get annoyed with your knowledge. It goes back to high school, to not doing your homework ... 'There's something I should know, I don't know why I should know it but someone knows it and I don't. So I'm going to have to make fun of him now.'" -Sarah Vowell, The Partly-Cloudy Patriot
Roninjoey Profile PhotoRoninjoey Profile Photo
Roninjoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
There are dark things, I suppose... but the books never felt dark to me. They never really seemed designed to scare. The darker elements seem common to any fairy tale--nightmarish situations, sure, but you never REALLY think Dorothy and the assortment of other young Oz girls won't come out okay.

That said I think Return to Oz was the closest to the original. That movie is a bit dark, in the 80s way.

This movie looks totally lame though. Why does Dorothy need to be Lara Croft?
yr ronin,
joey
Mr Roxy Profile PhotoMr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Please save us from this.

What next, a musical of Citizen Kane?
Poster Emeritus
DG
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"There are dark things, I suppose... but the books never felt dark to me."

On a related note, this is how I feel about the POTTER books - and why I look at the movies and think, "What?"
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"What next, a musical of Citizen Kane?"

No, a sci-fi version of Citizen Kane... with giant battles, trolls, elves and newspaper nymphs.

Of course Kane will be played by Jude Law in a space suit.
Borstalboy Profile PhotoBorstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Eh. I'll believe it when I see it. I remember back in the late 90's there was supposed to be a remake of ALL ABOUT EVE with Jodie Foster and Clare Danes. Never happened.

Unless its a classic horror movie, it probably won't get remade. Next up: NEAR DARK.
"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing. ~ Muhammad Ali