Page: 1

My Murder Mystery Halloween Party homage to Sondheim

romantico Profile Photoromantico Profile Photo
romantico
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
My friend and I are planning a Halloween party this year. We want to actually write our party. We want to pay homage to Sondheim and the mystery parties he use to through in NYC back in the late 60's early 70's.

Our guest list is going be small but well planned. We want to do our invitations like in "The Last of Sheila".We want clues and old poems to be on one side of the invites. We are thinking of either a scavenger hunt or planning someone at the party to be murdered.Not sure yet.

We are also thinking about using Sondheim song's as clues.I am doing my research starting this weekend. If anyone has any ideas, let me know. I found this interesting article I thought I'd share for all you who are actually into this.

http://www.sondheim.org/php/news.php?id=450
'There are three sides to every story. My side, your side, and the truth. And no one is lying. Memories shared serve each one differently' -Robert Evans-
JoeKv99 Profile PhotoJoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I always liked the idea that the scavengers were at one point served cake. If they put their slices back together, the clue was spelled out in the icing. Of course most teams just ate their cake.
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
romantico Profile Photoromantico Profile Photo
romantico
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Thanks Joe! Glad someone responded.I may post this over at a Sondheim board. I've gotta watch "Last of Sheila" again. Its been a while since I've seen it and I am sure alot of questions will be answered after I've seen it again. Thanks again!
'There are three sides to every story. My side, your side, and the truth. And no one is lying. Memories shared serve each one differently' -Robert Evans-
JoeKv99 Profile PhotoJoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
And of course watch "Sleuth" (Original title: Who's Afraid of Stephen Sondheim?)
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
ahmelie Profile Photoahmelie Profile Photo
ahmelie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Halloween Parties are the best, and yours sounds fantastic (and elaborate!) I've always wanted to do a theme party, though I always end up planning them at the last minute so it always ends up being the same thing.

I haven't any ideas for you, but good luck with it!
Theatre is a safe place to do the unsafe things that need to be done. -John Patrick Shanley
redfeatherboa Profile Photoredfeatherboa Profile Photo
redfeatherboa
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
Sounds like you're going to be having one of the best parties of the year! I hope you report back here on it and tell us how it goes.
Beauty breaks in everywhere.