What is happening in Europe????

Elphaba Profile PhotoElphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What is happening in Europe????#1
Posted: 8/21/07 at 1:56am
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=33c_1187358686

comments? He has some very valid points. In case you have not heard, the Mayor of Brussels has banned a memorial rally on Sep 11th so that Muslims in Belgium don't feel offended.

The idea of Sharia (Also, calling the Sharia 'law' can be misleading, as Sharia extends beyond law. Sharia is the totality of religious, political, social, domestic and private life. Sharia is primarily meant for all Muslims, but applies to a certain extent also for people living inside a Muslim society. Muslims are not totally bound by the Sharia when they live or travel outside the Muslim world.) is being voted in in various parts of Europe by Muslim politicians.

Australia has taken a stand against Sharian Law, feeling that beheadings, rape as punishment, etc is just plain wrong. (Which frankly it is).

It is possible that a Muslim dominated political body could ban alcohol in a non-Muslim country.......it is going to get very interesting in Europe.
It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956
tazber Profile Phototazber Profile Photo
tazber
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: What is happening in Europe????#2
Posted: 8/21/07 at 5:21am
I don't know much about Sharia, but it sounds like it has very little regard for basic human rights (Rape as punishment? - wtf?).
Bitch as we might about our government, it's stories like this that make me glad I'm American and reinforce the founding fathers' tenet that church and state should be seperate.
....but the world goes 'round
StageManager2 Profile PhotoStageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: What is happening in Europe????#2
Posted: 8/21/07 at 6:51am
If ever I have a daughter, I want to name her Sharia. That way, she has the potential to become a one-named celebrity.
Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia
Mr Roxy Profile PhotoMr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: What is happening in Europe????#3
Posted: 8/21/07 at 7:05am
Political correctness gone wild.
Poster Emeritus
paradox_error Profile Photoparadox_error Profile Photo
paradox_error
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: What is happening in Europe????#4
Posted: 8/22/07 at 5:03am
I couldn't finish watching that piece of racist tripe; talk about one-sided.

I can't believe people actually take comments like that seriously.
YouWantitWhen???? Profile PhotoYouWantitWhen???? Profile Photo
YouWantitWhen????
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: What is happening in Europe????#5
Posted: 8/22/07 at 8:30am
It is an extreme over-reaction to what is going on, but you have to remember, Europe went through protests and killings over the cartoon images over Muhammad as well as the killing of a movie director who created a film about Muslim women. Yet, the leaders of these same religions routinely create horrible images of Christians and Jews (especially Jews). It is a double standard that people are afraid to call them on because of the violence that some of the radical Muslims are seemingly willing to use in the name of religion. (I will generalize here and say more so than their Jewish or Christian counterparts).

There is a real tension in Europe right now, especially in places like Holland, that have traditionally been very tolerant, open societies, on what to do.
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: What is happening in Europe????#6
Posted: 8/22/07 at 10:53am
racist? Doxie, I totally disagree. Your country is smart enough to not allow Sharia to become law.
It is not acceptable to rape a woman and then kill her for an alleged indiscretion.
It is not allowable to allow a man to beat his wife....just because he wants to.

I find nothing racist about what the man is saying, and frankly I am about the most accepting person there is.
But to allow laws that allow the above is unacceptable, especially when in certain arab countries is is illegal to do some of the things westerners do daily, ie go to a bar, go to a church other than theirs.
Allowing archaic (sp?) Muslim laws that are so horrible they defy description to exist in Western Society is unacceptable.
We have laws, and they must be observed by all.....not just anyone not Muslim.

And we must not allow laws such as the above to exist.

Religion should not mean punishment is avoided.

To ban a peaceful memorial to 9-11 because you are afraid it will offend those who jumped for joy over 9-11 happening is just not right.

It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: What is happening in Europe????#7
Posted: 8/22/07 at 10:53am
damn computer, arrgh
Updated On: 8/22/07 at 10:53 AM
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: What is happening in Europe????#8
Posted: 8/22/07 at 10:56am
g** dam* computer, ARRGH........Verizon is coming out today to replace my modem, etc.
I am having horrid problems, *%&*(
Updated On: 8/22/07 at 10:56 AM
vmlinnie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: What is happening in Europe????#9
Posted: 8/22/07 at 11:00am
Not all of Europe takes things like that, Elphy.

Just the other day we had a radio debate here on how the Koran advocates violance.
The rain we knew is a thing of the past -
deep-delving, dark, deliberate you would say
browsing on spire and bogland; but today
our sky-blue slates are steaming in the sun,
our yachts tinkling and dancing in the bay
like racehorses. We contemplate at last
shining windows, a future forbidden to no one.

Derek Mahon

"Maybe all one can do is hope to end up with the right regrets."

Arthur Miller
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: What is happening in Europe????#10
Posted: 8/22/07 at 11:04am
oh I know linnie, and I didn't mean to infer all Europe. But it needs to be watched.

People need to pay attention and vote. They need to learn the platforms of their elected officials, especially if that platform is extreme.

And in no way, shape, or form am I implying that all Muslims are extreme, they are not...but laws like this cannot be tolerated....especially in free societies.
vmlinnie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: What is happening in Europe????#11
Posted: 8/22/07 at 11:12am
Here we've just re-elected our Right Wing Government for a third consecutive term. France picked Sarkozy. Germany picked Merkl. The continent is mostly insane.
The rain we knew is a thing of the past -
deep-delving, dark, deliberate you would say
browsing on spire and bogland; but today
our sky-blue slates are steaming in the sun,
our yachts tinkling and dancing in the bay
like racehorses. We contemplate at last
shining windows, a future forbidden to no one.

Derek Mahon

"Maybe all one can do is hope to end up with the right regrets."

Arthur Miller