Thoughts on High School Musical (film)?

B2488
Understudy
Understudy
Thoughts on High School Musical (film)?#1
Posted: 8/17/07 at 3:37pm
So I know that the 2nd movie premieres tonight on the Disney Channel, and I had never seen the first one, so I figured I might as well watch the first to see if I'm excited for the premiere tonight at all.

*Disclaimer* I did a search to see if there was already a topic on this, and I only found posts about the upcoming sequel, so don't jump on my case if this is a double post.

Well, I don't know what you all think, but to me personally, this movie was one of the worst movie-musicals, or musicals in general that I've ever seen.

The acting is terrible, the singing sounds digitally altered, the musical numbers all sound alike to each other, and the plot is a predictable bore with tons of nonsensical elements. I was shocked that such poor material like this has become such a popular phenomenon.

I know people like to pick on Wicked, and they may have valid points in doing so, but seriously, HSM makes Wicked look like a masterpiece. To me, it's a parody and embarrassment to quality musical theatre, or even MEDIOCRE musical theatre, for that matter.

Agree or disagree? Am I the only one who feels this way? What are your thoughts on High School Musical?

Updated On: 8/17/07 at 03:37 PM
Midoria Profile PhotoMidoria Profile Photo
Midoria
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Well, look at Wicked. Granted it's loads better than High School Musical for many reasons. But I think it just goes to prove that something doesn't have to be well-written or have an amazing talent pool to be popular (no pun intended).

I will say the same thing I saw for "Wicked". It may not be the best work out there, but if it gets more people interesting in Musical Theatre, then it's OK in my book.
"I'm-Not-That-Boring-Low-Ass-Girl?! You better go up at the end!" - Seth Rudetsky to Julia Murney about her Solo CD choice
B2488
Understudy
Understudy
Yeah, but at least Wicked had talented actors. Zac Efron was completely unbelievable as a jock who secretly wanted to sing. And the main female character in high school musical delivered her lines as if she were reading out of the phone book. It was appalling.
mateo Profile Photomateo Profile Photo
mateo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Right- if anything it gets kids interested in musicals and musical theatre.

Mickey Mouse Club, Roundhouse and KIDS Incorporated got me interested in performance art and that was cheesy, goofy material - but it eventually led to greater things.

"Zac is sweet as can be. He's very much just a sweet kid from California who happens to have a face that looks like it was drawn by Michelangelo, (if Michelangelo did anime)."
-Adam Shankman.

"I haven't left this building since Windows 3.1!"

"Celebrating a birthday this week: Rene Descartes is 412! Do you know who he is? Then why are you watching this show? You could probably get into college and even get one of those job things. As for the rest of us; Amanda Bynes is 22! Yay!"
-E!'s "The Soup"
B2488
Understudy
Understudy
But I don't think most of the kids who have seen high school musical are going to become interested in musical-theatre, although that's just speculation on my part. My 12 year old brother even watches HSM yet he won't go see any show on Broadway voluntarily. The same holds true for a lot of young teens I know who've seen the movie. I don't think a Disney Channel Film is going to convert hoards of young kids into becoming musical-theatre buffs
Updated On: 8/17/07 at 03:56 PM
Raviolisun Profile PhotoRaviolisun Profile Photo
Raviolisun
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I think it's the funnest piece of crap I've ever seen.
One time, Patti LuPone punched me in the face...

It was awesome.
- theaterkid1015
mateo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
well yeah- not all.. but it exposes kids to a new form on entertainment.

a lot of those kids who like HSM- saw the Hairspray movie - granted because of Zac-

but I get a lot of comments on the blog saying things like, "I saw Hairspray, I LOVE ZAC, we then went to the Broadway show- WOW! and now we are going to see Legally Blonde. Cant wait!"

So it does have a slight affect.

Not on all people- but it does open things up.
"Zac is sweet as can be. He's very much just a sweet kid from California who happens to have a face that looks like it was drawn by Michelangelo, (if Michelangelo did anime)."
-Adam Shankman.

"Celebrating a birthday this week: Rene Descartes is 412! Do you know who he is? Then why are you watching this show? You could probably get into college and even get one of those job things. As for the rest of us; Amanda Bynes is 22! Yay!"
-E!'s "The Soup"
Updated On: 8/17/07 at 04:02 PM
OOTI2004 Profile PhotoOOTI2004 Profile Photo
OOTI2004
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I honestly cannot stand the movie, and I never understood the love of Zac Efron in the movie because I thought his singing was atrocious, well thats a little harsh, but I did not like his singing, and then I found he didn't actually sing in the first.

Anyway its a horrible movie, but it does provide a message for young teens and it does create an interest in theater, and really it wasn't made to please adults and kids do enjoy it, so I suppose it serves its purpose.
B2488
Understudy
Understudy
But what I don't get is how a large percentage of high schoolers who were already into theatre can love High School Musical.

They've seen real theatre, good theatre even, and yet the show that they talk about more than any other is HSM. It's just appalling to me.
wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photowonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I think the whole movie is pretty crappy, personally. Bad acting, bad singing, cliche and boring plot.
I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.
mateo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Well I know young kids who are quite knowledgable in musical theatre- and frankly dislike HSM. Or they do like it - but for its pure fluff factor.

That change comes with time.

I look back at things I loved when I was a kid and cringe- I don't doubt many hard core HSM fans will do the same in a few years - may be once they are actually in HIGH SCHOOL.
-Adam Shankman.

-E!'s "The Soup"
mateo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ok - this whole thread I sound like I am defending the movie.

I am not. I really can't stomach the movie. Although I will watch the sequel because of,

<---

No, I dont think its good or a great piece of musical history - I just think like OOTI2004 said, 'its serves is purpose.'

Its for kids.

-Adam Shankman.

-E!'s "The Soup"
Updated On: 8/17/07 at 04:14 PM
threatXthree
Understudy
Understudy
My theory is that it's so bad, it's good. I know that may not make sense, but let's face it: it's a teen fad that will eventually become a cult classic.
mateo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ghost World

Rebecca: This is so bad it's almost good.
Enid: This is so bad it's gone past good and back to bad again.
-Adam Shankman.

-E!'s "The Soup"
SporkGoddess
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I think that it's cute and fun. Obviously not the best musical movie ever, but...
Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!
B2488
Understudy
Understudy
To its credit, I think "Breaking Free," "Start of Something New," and "Status Quo" are very catchy songs.
mateo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I agree with you on 'The Status Quo'

It's opening vamp sound very similar to 'You Cant Stop The Beat's though.

-Adam Shankman.

-E!'s "The Soup"
Updated On: 8/17/07 at 06:03 PM
chinto1984
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Who said Kids Incorporated? I love Kids Incorporated and that is why I like performing. Unlike HSM, Kids Inc. had talented singers. They did lip synch but to their own voices.

Anyway, HSM can be infectious even though it is poor quality. I saw a the stage version. The plot is a little better. I like the fact it has gotten kids into doing theater. I like that it is more appropriate than Grease. I would rather see a high school do HSM than Grease because kids screw up Grease. I understand that it is for kids but hopefully kids will think of it as fun rather than a masterpiece.
Raviolisun Profile PhotoRaviolisun Profile Photo
Raviolisun
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
To its credit, I think "Breaking Free," "Start of Something New," and "Status Quo" are very catchy songs.

Oh come on, if there's one song from High School Musical that's vaguely good, it's "What I've Been Looking For." The original one, not the crappy reprise.

One time, Patti LuPone punched me in the face...

It was awesome.
- theaterkid1015
Midoria
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Yeah, but at least Wicked had talented actors. Zac Efron was completely unbelievable as a jock who secretly wanted to sing. And the main female character in high school musical delivered her lines as if she were reading out of the phone book. It was appalling.

True, True. The talent that has played a role in 'Wicked' is ridiculous. But at the same time, as La Murney puts it:

"We could paint your mom green and put her in a cherry picker and people would applaud."

Hehe.

But seriously, she makes a good point. People just love "Wicked", and I think it's just a show where the majority of the audience could not care less about who is playing who and how talented they are. It's a total phenomenon, and most regular theatre goers can't really understand why, when there are so many shows out there that are artistically better. Same for HSM.

One of the Elphaba's once said in an interview that most of the audience didn't even notice when she left after the first act due serious voice issues. In the same interview I just quoted, La Murney said that when she was on tour, the concession staff made a game of seeing how many of her solo CD's they could sell when she wasn't in the show that night. They just said "But it. It's Elphaba." and people did!! They didn't even notice they saw Victoria and not Julia.

"I'm-Not-That-Boring-Low-Ass-Girl?! You better go up at the end!" - Seth Rudetsky to Julia Murney about her Solo CD choice
BobbyErikValjean Profile PhotoBobbyErikValjean Profile Photo
BobbyErikValjean
Stand-by
Stand-by
I'm a kid who hates HSM with a passion, but if it gets more people my age (and younger) into musicals, more power to it.
Steve2 Profile PhotoSteve2 Profile Photo
Steve2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I had never seen this until several weeks ago and wondered what all the excitement was about (and who Zac Efron was). I was shocked at how truly bad it was.
Updated On: 8/17/07 at 09:54 PM
Midoria
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Well I know young kids who are quite knowledgable in musical theatre- and frankly dislike HSM. Or they do like it - but for its pure fluff factor.

My youngest sister is 17, and she's in this category.

Updated On: 8/17/07 at 09:57 PM
megs1122 Profile Photomegs1122 Profile Photo
megs1122
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Thoughts on High School Musical (film)?#23
Posted: 8/17/07 at 10:00pm
My friend and I just finished watching it and being that we both work with children we found it quite enjoyable. The actual talent is hard to really review as not much has changed from the first. We both laughed when Troy (Zac) began his one song running around on the golf green then in the mountains, it reminded us of the terrible scene in RENT when Roger (Adam) sings in the Santa Fe hills.
Not the best movie out there and not as catchy as the first but overall not a bad family channel film. Take it for what it is, a kids film which is bringing a whole new generation to musical theatre.
Shows seen in 2011: Rock of Ages (WE, Shaftesbury Theatre - 7 Oct), Jersey Boys (WE, Prince Edward Theatre - 1 Sep), Cirque du Soleil: Zarkana (Broadway, Radio City Music Hall - 26 Aug), RENT (Broadway, New World Stages - 25 Aug), Hair (Broadway, St. James Theatre - 24 Aug), The Book of Mormon (Broadway *WON LOTTO*, Eugene O'Neill Theatre - 24 Aug), Dress Circle Benefit Gala (WE, Her Majesty's Theatre - 7 Aug), Derren Brown: Svengali (WE, Shaftesbury Theatre - 6 July), Lend me a Tenor the Musical (WE, Gielgud Theatre - 3 June), Lord of the Flies (WE, Open Air Theatre in Regent's Park - 2 June), In a Forest Dark and Deep (WE, Vaudeville Theatre - 31 May), Jersey Boys (WE, Prince Edward Theatre - 28 May), The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (WE, Gielgud Theatre - 2 May), Priscilla Queen of the Desert (WE, Palace Theatre - 29 Apr), Les Miserables (WE, Queens Theatre - 20 Apr), Thrill me (WE, Tristan Bates Theatre - 14 Apr), Ghost the Musical (Manchester, Opera House - 13 Apr), Million Dollar Quartere (WE, Noel Coward Theatre - 5 Apr), The Lion King (WE, Lyceum Theatre - 16 Mar), The Exonerated (WE, Charing Cross Theatre - 15 Mar), The Children's Hour (WE, Comedy Theatre - 14 Mar), Clybourne Park (WE, Wyndhams Theatre - 12 Mar), Company (WE, Southwark Playhouse - 12 Mar), The 25th annual putnam county spelling bee (WE, Donmar - 2 March), Jersey Boys (WE, Prince Edward Theatre - 11 Feb), Million Dollar Quartet (WE, Noel Coward - 9 Feb), Love Story (WE, Duchess Theatre - 7 Feb), Lance Horne:First things last (WE, Garrick Theatre - 30 Jan), La Boheme (WE, Soho Theatre - 29 Jan), Legally Blonde (WE, Savoy Theatre - 10.Jan)
mateo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Thoughts on High School Musical (film)?#24
Posted: 8/17/07 at 10:03pm
Kenny Ortega's direction of Zac in the 'Bet On It' number... ugh.

-Adam Shankman.

-E!'s "The Soup"