Old people rock!

miss pennywise Profile Photomiss pennywise Profile Photo
miss pennywise
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Old people rock!#1
Posted: 8/13/07 at 8:27pm
I want to thank everyone who has been asking about me and my absence from the board. It is truly touching to have friends who miss me and who care so much.

For the past week or so, I was in Michigan where my husband's grandmother passed away at 104. You might think that when someone is so elderly, her death wouldn't be so significant since it was "going to happen sooner rather than later." But this is not the case. Ida was a remarkable woman who remained clear, articulate and lucid to the end. She played an active part in our lives till the day she died, and it is a sobering time for us all.

There are dozens of stories I could share about Ida. I have mentioned before that she bought herself a computer when she was 94 so that she could keep up on the stock market, email friends and family around the country, write her memoirs and just, basically, "surf the net"...all of which she did for as long as she was able. She was fascinated by new things, especially technology. She thought text-messaging and photo-messaging were the coolest!

My sister-in-law asked her what she thought was the most important invention in her lifetime, and her answer was "Electricity!" Imagine that!

I'm wondering what stories you can share about elderly people in your lives.
"Be on your guard! Jerks on the loose!"

http://www.roches.com/television/ss83kod.html

"If any relationship involves a flow chart, get out of it...FAST!"

~ Best12Bars
MotorTink Profile PhotoMotorTink Profile Photo
MotorTink
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Old people rock!#2
Posted: 8/13/07 at 8:30pm
Miss P - Sorry to hear about your family loss, but glad to see you are doing ok.

My grandmother past away in 2003, but she was the coolest grandma anyone could ask for. Growing up, she was the one taking us to see "Waynes World 1 & 2" in the movie theaters and actually enjoying it!

BroadwayBoobs: I'll give all of you who weren't there a hint of who took the pictures ...it rhymes with shameless

SOMMS: I knew it was Tink!
DG
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Old people rock!#2
Posted: 8/13/07 at 8:32pm
I'm so happy you have the ability to share this, MissP - for you, for her and for us.

My own 'older hero' was my maternal grandfather. The most gracious, kind, generous, honest, loving and capable MAN I've ever had the privledge of knowing.

He had been in the Calvary as a young man (yes, the Army on horseback!) and ended up spending his career in charge of laying the phone lines throughout the Southwest - mostly because it afforded him the opportunity to ride a horse through God's Country for a living.

He was a golfer, and played a full 18-hole round a day - walking - up until the day he died - literally.
wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photowonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Old people rock!#3
Posted: 8/13/07 at 8:32pm
miss p, sorry to hear about your loss.

She sounded like a wonderful woman. Rest in peace, Ida.
I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.
son_of_a_gunn_25 Profile Photoson_of_a_gunn_25 Profile Photo
son_of_a_gunn_25
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Old people rock!#4
Posted: 8/13/07 at 8:36pm
re: Old people rock!

May she rest in peace...

My avatar is a reminder to myself. I need lots of reminders...
Raviolisun Profile PhotoRaviolisun Profile Photo
Raviolisun
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Old people rock!#5
Posted: 8/13/07 at 8:36pm
My great grandmother was born in 1900 and died in 2000. I can't imagine what a gift it would be to live an entire century. She had fiery red hair, and was 100% Irish. She died when I was eight, so I don't have many memories of her, but from what I do remember, she was an amazing woman.
One time, Patti LuPone punched me in the face...

It was awesome.
- theaterkid1015
Glebb Profile PhotoGlebb Profile Photo
Glebb
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Old people rock!#6
Posted: 8/13/07 at 8:47pm
Ida was so cool!
Welcome back Miss P.
" ...the happiness in the tune convinces me that I'm not afraid."
mominator Profile Photomominator Profile Photo
mominator
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Old people rock!#7
Posted: 8/13/07 at 8:50pm
Miss P I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Ida sounds like she was one heck of a lady. Keep your stories of her near to your heart, she'll always be with you.
Prayers and good thoughts.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien
ladyofthelake
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Old people rock!#8
Posted: 8/13/07 at 10:19pm
Penny, may she rest in peace.

Somewhat of a threadjack but, whenever I see an elderly couple walking down the street holding hands and smiling, it makes me so happy.
"My sister singing. During the Viet Nam War, I wrote President Johnson that we should fly our jets over Hanoi without bombs but with tapes of my sister singing. I believed that the North Vietnamese would have surrendered unconditionally after two weeks of listening to my sister's singing voice." wexy, on the worst sound in the world.
miss pennywise
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Old people rock!#9
Posted: 8/13/07 at 10:30pm
Thanks, everyone. You're all so kind.

But knowing Ida, there will be no "resting"! When she was 80, she moved into the house in Michigan where she lived for the rest of her life. The first week in the house, she decided she didn't like the driveway, so she took a pick-axe to it! It was easy for her because she had chopped wood everyday in Massachusetts.

~ Best12Bars
PalJoey Profile PhotoPalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Old people rock!#10
Posted: 8/13/07 at 10:39pm
What was the most important invention in her lifetime? "Electricity!"

Wow.

My mother had an Aunt Ida. She was a pistol. She owned a speakeasy during Prohibition for Russian Jewish immigrants. She made the vodka in her own bathtub.

The password to get into the speakeasy was: "Nu? Shto rooskiye pup skazal?"

It meant "So? What did the Russian pope say?"

No one in the fmaily had any idea what it meant. Aunt Ida made it up.
mattonstage Profile Photomattonstage Profile Photo
mattonstage
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Old people rock!#11
Posted: 8/13/07 at 10:56pm
Ida sounds like she was a great lady. I'm so sorry for your loss, but keep all those great memories alive. I had a great Aunt Katherine, who lived to 103. She was slightly the opposite of your Ida, she never even had a telephone in her house. She lived next to my mother's sister, so she would go there if she needed a phone. My mother had the phone company go over to install a phone, and Aunt Katherine wouldn't let them in. She was a reader, probably 2 to 3 books a week for her whole life. She had a small stroke just after her 101st birthday, I guess it was early January of that year, and she was up walking and talking by the end of February. Great lady.
I killed the boss, you don't think they're gonna fire me over a thing like that!!!!
Mamie Profile PhotoMamie Profile Photo
Mamie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Old people rock!#12
Posted: 8/13/07 at 10:57pm
Hi Miss P. I've been missing you! I'm so sorry to hear about Ida. It certainly wasn't much of a vacation for you.

I think she would have liked my fraternal Grandmother. She looked and acted like a textbook example of a sweet little gray haired grandma. I don't remember ever seeing her without a housedress on with an apron over it, orthopedic shoes and support hose. (Excuse me - NOT on Sundays! Then it was her Sunday-go-to-meeting clothes!) She was a fantastic cook, crocheter, seamstress, etc.

Then there was the other side..... I've seen her grab a shotgun and blow the head off a rattle snake without blinking an eye. One day she held off a housebreaker with the same gun until the police came. She never learned to drive a car - but that never stopped her from jumping in and driving down to the corner store for last minute groceries or anything else she might need. (It was a VERY tiny town with only 16 roads at that time!)

She came with us on a cross-country trip one year. We were exploring one day in Colorado and came upon a rope bridge crossing an extremely deep gorge. She insisted on crossing it. She got halfway across and then got down on her hands and knees and crawled the rest of the way. Once on the other side, she turned around and crawled back, shaking like a leaf. She had to - because nobody else would cross the bridge!

I can't help thinking sometimes that they made people stronger, more colorful, with more character, than today. I've never known anyone like her!
www.thebreastcancersite.com
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03
Updated On: 8/13/07 at 10:57 PM
brdlwyr
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Old people rock!#13
Posted: 8/13/07 at 10:57pm
We recently celebrated my father's 80th. He joined the Navy in 1945 at 17. He raised many children and dozens of gradchildren. He is now blind and very happy despite his disability! He said that he think he will live another 10 years!
D2 Profile PhotoD2 Profile Photo
D2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Old people rock!#14
Posted: 8/13/07 at 10:59pm
My condolences, Miss P! May we all age like Ida!
Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)
shira467 Profile Photoshira467 Profile Photo
shira467
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Old people rock!#15
Posted: 8/13/07 at 10:59pm
*hugs* to you, Miss P. Ida sounds like a remarkable woman!

My grandmother...bless her heart, just turned 80 (or was it 85? Uh oh, bad granddaughter!), and she still goes to work everyday, unless she's in Atlantic City. She's the best - and I love her dearly!
Deet: Shira, I Love You!
AbbaRabbit Profile PhotoAbbaRabbit Profile Photo
AbbaRabbit
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Old people rock!#16
Posted: 8/13/07 at 11:00pm
i'm so sorry for your loss.

as for wonderful old people...

my grandmother is amazing.
she is a tiny siclian woman... she only stands 4'10 (although she likes to say she's 5'2)
she is so much stronger than she looks.
she cared for my grandfather for the 10+ years he battled alzheimers. she makes up her own recipes. she loves animals. she has impeccable gaydar. she beat cancer. she does the relay for life walk every year and walks in the survivors lap. she cries every time.

Less is more
Ugly is beautiful
"My brother plays a drag queen... and I'm surprised he looks as good as he does in drag." - Adam Rapp

"thanks, abba. now i'll forever have an image of you as a tattoed hardcore straightedge grrl savaging people in the mosh pit." - papalovesmambo

"Yeah Abba. All the filthy crap you spew out there on those boards. I for one, am equally shocked. :-P" - AnnaK
Cruel_Sandwich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Old people rock!#17
Posted: 8/13/07 at 11:08pm
PJ - What is your ethnic heritage?
miss pennywise
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Old people rock!#18
Posted: 8/13/07 at 11:15pm
Abba, you mentioned that your grandmother has "impeccable gaydar."

My sister-in-law is gay, and Grandma Ida had this to say recently about her homosexuality:

"I lived on a farm and when the rooster was away, the hens used to go at it with each other. It's natural!"

Isn't that fabulous?

(PJ, no wonder you're attracted to "wine lovers"!)

~ Best12Bars
shira467 Profile Photoshira467 Profile Photo
shira467
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Old people rock!#19
Posted: 8/13/07 at 11:17pm
Miss P - the hens thing is hysterical.
Deet: Shira, I Love You!
LizzieCurry Profile PhotoLizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Old people rock!#20
Posted: 8/13/07 at 11:22pm
"I lived on a farm and when the rooster was away, the hens used to go at it with each other. It's natural!"

That is so cute. I love it!

I wonder what my great grandmother would say about that. Probably something similar. re: Old people rock!

She was born in 1900 and survived the 1906 earthquake, then a marriage to an abusive man when she was 18. She had her first kid (my grandfather) at 20, then another kid, then her husband sold my great uncle to pay off a gambling debt, and he ran away to Hawaii.

I have pictures of my great grandmother when she was in her 20s. Looked like a fashion plate. Pants and everything!
"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt
miss pennywise
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Old people rock!#21
Posted: 8/13/07 at 11:44pm
Grandma Ida was born in 1903. My son was born in 2002. They had a century between them.

Here's a photo of them holding hands a few months ago:

~ Best12Bars
AbbaRabbit Profile PhotoAbbaRabbit Profile Photo
AbbaRabbit
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Old people rock!#22
Posted: 8/13/07 at 11:50pm
that picture is beautiful.

and that's so awsome about the hen story :)

last christmas, my cousin said he needed to talk to my grandmother. he sat her down and paced, and was really nervous and finally said "grandma, i'm gay" and she goes "is that it? i knew that... we ALL knew that!"

my grandma was quite the looker when she was younger...
this picture was taken in 1949, the year she married my grandfather.
he was so goofy looking :)
Less is more
Ugly is beautiful
"My brother plays a drag queen... and I'm surprised he looks as good as he does in drag." - Adam Rapp

"thanks, abba. now i'll forever have an image of you as a tattoed hardcore straightedge grrl savaging people in the mosh pit." - papalovesmambo

"Yeah Abba. All the filthy crap you spew out there on those boards. I for one, am equally shocked. :-P" - AnnaK
YouWantitWhen???? Profile PhotoYouWantitWhen???? Profile Photo
YouWantitWhen????
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Old people rock!#23
Posted: 8/14/07 at 12:02am
Miss P, that picture and your stories brought tears to my eyes.

Thanks for sharing, and welcome back.

Much love.
DG
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Old people rock!#24
Posted: 8/14/07 at 1:33am
"she cared for my grandfather for the 10+ years he battled alzheimers. she makes up her own recipes. she loves animals. she has impeccable gaydar. she beat cancer. she does the relay for life walk every year and walks in the survivors lap. she cries every time."

Very little I've read on this board has touched me like that passage - thank you, Abba. And you're right, she was a looker and he has a goofy charm. But what I really see in both of their faces is happiness.

MissP - that hand picture is perfection.

I so love the concept of this thread. We throw things away so easily, and that's even after the process of aging shows us what counts and what doesn't. It's good to remember.

And for the record, I have an idea what the rooster might have been looking for when he was 'away' - the other Cock-crows can be like a beacon.

So I've heard.