Page: 1

Ace of Cakes

TheatreDiva90016 Profile PhotoTheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ace of Cakes#1
Posted: 8/10/07 at 7:33pm
Has anyone else watched this show on the Food Chanel? It's a reality show based around this extreme cake maker in Baltimore. I'm totally addicted to it! Not only are the cakes amazing to watch being built, but the folks that work there make me laugh out loud with some of the stuff they pull.

I thank God for my DVR so I never miss an episode.

I'm actually thinking of doing that type of work when theatre gets to be too much for me, which should be soon since I'm apparently too old to be doing anything but using a walker, according to some folks here.

But let's not change the subject. It's 4:34 on the West Coast and a show about giant cakes sounds really good right now!
"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post. <<>> -whatever2
mateo Profile Photomateo Profile Photo
mateo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Ace of Cakes#2
Posted: 8/10/07 at 8:02pm
oh yeah!

I love this show.

They did the cake for Hairspray's Baltimore Premiere:

re: Ace of Cakes

Divine.

I hope that creation is on a future ep.
"Zac is sweet as can be. He's very much just a sweet kid from California who happens to have a face that looks like it was drawn by Michelangelo, (if Michelangelo did anime)."
-Adam Shankman.

"I haven't left this building since Windows 3.1!"

"Celebrating a birthday this week: Rene Descartes is 412! Do you know who he is? Then why are you watching this show? You could probably get into college and even get one of those job things. As for the rest of us; Amanda Bynes is 22! Yay!"
-E!'s "The Soup"
dancingthrulife04 Profile Photodancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Ace of Cakes#2
Posted: 8/10/07 at 9:35pm
Most addicting TV show ever.
http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler
supportivemom Profile Photosupportivemom Profile Photo
supportivemom
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Ace of Cakes#3
Posted: 8/10/07 at 11:22pm
Absolutely love Duff! I used to decorate cakes when I was younger but it is a very fattening hobby (oops, I still have a little bit of frosting in the bag- I'll just eat it- it all adds up!). Agree that the cakes are AMAZING! It makes me so nervous when he tries to transport the cakes. You'd think he'd get a higher van! I also love the cake challenges on Food Network. That Simpsons cake challenge was great and so was the Disney princesses. Diva- you are a very creative person and would probably do very well with this type of work. However, you look way too young to even be considering a walker!
scott68 Profile Photoscott68 Profile Photo
scott68
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Ace of Cakes#4
Posted: 8/11/07 at 12:16am
I'm a little bit in love with Geof. I just want to carry him around in my pocket and have him be dorkily cute whenever I want.
"Why, I make more money than... than... than Calvin Coolidge! PUT TOGETHER!"
~Lina Lamont

My name wasn't, isn't, and will never be Scott.
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Ace of Cakes#5
Posted: 8/11/07 at 11:28am
Thanks Mom!

Scott likes the geeky type, eh?

"Talk nerdy to me!"
"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post. <<>> -whatever2
misschung Profile Photomisschung Profile Photo
misschung
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Ace of Cakes#6
Posted: 8/11/07 at 11:31am
I have a minor obsession with cakes, and I love this show. It's sometimes disappointing that the entire cake isn't actually edible due to support bars, retaining walls, and.... explosives. But they are so impressive!

I would love to be a pasty chef, but I have a feeling I'd be 400 pounds by the end of my first year.
The morning star always gets wonderful bright the minute before it has to go --doesn't it?
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Ace of Cakes#7
Posted: 8/11/07 at 11:35am
I used to decorate cakes a a teen and would be obsessed with trying to get the frosting perfect. Then I discovered 'flood filling'. Now they just roll out the fondant like clay.

I LOVE it!
misschung
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Ace of Cakes#8
Posted: 8/11/07 at 11:36am
They cheat with the fondant :-P

what's flood filling?

If you could have Charm City Cakes design onecake for you, what would you pick?
The morning star always gets wonderful bright the minute before it has to go --doesn't it?
Updated On: 8/11/07 at 11:36 AM
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Ace of Cakes#9
Posted: 8/11/07 at 11:39am
But it's SO PERFECT!

I wonder what it tastes like? I can't imagine it's better than good ol' frosting.
misschung
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Ace of Cakes#10
Posted: 8/11/07 at 11:41am
It has a marzipan-like taste. Nothing like the good old fashioned, orgasmic taste of traditional butter cream
JustAGuy Profile PhotoJustAGuy Profile Photo
JustAGuy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Ace of Cakes#11
Posted: 8/11/07 at 11:45am
I watch, but I always wonder what they actually taste like, fondant is not my favorite thing. And the use of some latex gloves, while manhandling the cakes would make it a whole lot more appetizing for me.
"Just a Guy. Your feelings are touching. I am gladdened by the thought that you will one day wind up 6 feet under as we all do." - MrRoxy ------ "I do not suggest you walk out the door onto a New York street with your vulnerable child part exposed and not protected..." - Jason Bennett
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Ace of Cakes#12
Posted: 8/11/07 at 11:46am
Maybe they should show them washing their hands once in a while.
EM in OR Profile PhotoEM in OR Profile Photo
EM in OR
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Ace of Cakes#13
Posted: 8/11/07 at 1:22pm
I love this show. I catch it when I can. My mom decorates cakes, so naturally I got into it as well. I will not let someone have a cake that is not perfect. I think I have OCD when it comes to cake decorating. I actually get kinda sick when I realize how much Fondant the actually use on one cake! I hate the taste of it and I hate using it! And at a distance it looks pretty good on cakes but up close I find that using a traditional frosting looks better and tastes better.
But they make the most crazy cakes ever. My favorite being the Beaver cake. It was awesome, and a little creepy.
Ok i'm done now.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
withoutlovewithoutU Profile PhotowithoutlovewithoutU Profile Photo
withoutlovewithoutU
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Ace of Cakes#14
Posted: 8/11/07 at 2:32pm
Looooveee this show. So great!

"If we don't live happily ever after at least we survive until the end of the week!" -Kermit the frog "I need the money... it costs a lot to look this cheap!" -Dolly P. "Oh please, Over at 'Gypsy' Patti LuPone hasn't even alienated her first daughter yet!" Mary Testa in "Xanadu" "...Like a drunk Chita Rivera!" Robin de Jesus in "In the Heights"

"B*tch, I don't know your life." -Xanadu After that if he still doesn't understand why you were uncomfortable and are now infuriated, kick him again but this time with Jazz Hands!!! -KillerTofu
MisterRussell Profile PhotoMisterRussell Profile Photo
MisterRussell
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Ace of Cakes#15
Posted: 8/11/07 at 2:38pm
His red-headed office manager is the`cutest woman on Earth!
misschung
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Ace of Cakes#16
Posted: 8/11/07 at 3:08pm
And the use of some latex gloves, while manhandling the cakes would make it a whole lot more appetizing for me.

thank you. My mom and I say the same thing. They need a focus group on safer cake decorating at Charm City Cakes