What Do You REALLY Think Of Shakespeare?

Cruel_Sandwich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What Do You REALLY Think Of Shakespeare?#1
Posted: 8/10/07 at 4:42pm
Do you like him because you've been CONDITIONED to like him or do you genuinely love his work? Or do you fancy his work mediocre but still respect the influence he had on the English language?
SorryGrateful
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I geniunely adore Hamlet and Othello. I think they are two of the best plays ever written.

I get your question and I really have questioned why I love him. And then I read Hamlet or Othello again and the question is answered.
You promised me poems. ~Tricky
Defying_Gravity_Girl Profile PhotoDefying_Gravity_Girl Profile Photo
Defying_Gravity_Girl
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I like certain parts of his various works...for example, my friends and I often recite the thumb-biting scene from Romeo and Juliet. I highly respect him as a writer and story teller. I'm not so sure that I "love" him, though.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

www.writersinlove.com
Borstalboy Profile PhotoBorstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Talky, out of control, unruly, pretentious, and featuring such outrageous plot holes a four year old could see through them. He uses, like, one hundred words when a simple sentence would suffice. Cleary a meglomaniac narcissist who likes hearing the sound of his own writer's voice. Well, thank you Mr. Shakespeare but we're not all so enamored.
"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing. ~ Muhammad Ali
SorryGrateful
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Wow, that's a lot of anger. Do you have some unresolved Shakespeare issues, Borstal? re: What Do You REALLY Think Of Shakespeare?
TheatreDiva90016 Profile PhotoTheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I thought he was rude.

He borrowed money from me and never paid me back.
"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post. <<>> -whatever2
Borstalboy Profile PhotoBorstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Once again, sarcasm falls to a thud on BWW.
"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing. ~ Muhammad Ali
Defying_Gravity_Girl Profile PhotoDefying_Gravity_Girl Profile Photo
Defying_Gravity_Girl
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
How much, Diva? I simply must know!
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

www.writersinlove.com
Cruel_Sandwich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Shakespeare is a koo ho. Importance of his work notwithstanding, they're just damn entertaining.
SorryGrateful
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
*feels stupid*

Thanks be to Jaysus, Borstal. I was feeling a bit sick to my stomach for a few moments.
bythesword84 Profile Photobythesword84 Profile Photo
bythesword84
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Shakespeare and I have never gotten along. If you want to discuss his "historical" plays in particular, I've never liked him. It seriously bothers me that the world's main exposure to a lot of historical people is through the Tudor era writings of William Shakespeare. I know people think he's brilliant, but I've never particularly understood that. Most of my friends adore everything he ever wrote. Myself, I can take some of the sonnets and think they're very nice (though I openly admit I am not overly qualified for sonnet reading), but in terms of his plays I find them to be extremely overrated. I'm sure Mr. Shakespeare is a talented writer, particularly for his time period, but I think his "greatness" has been far exaggerated over time to the point of being ridiculous.
And hang on, when did you win the discus?
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Straight over the top of my head...
artscallion Profile Photoartscallion Profile Photo
artscallion
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I think he was the Benny Hill of his time.
Art has a double face, of expression and illusion.
SweetQntheLights Profile PhotoSweetQntheLights Profile Photo
SweetQntheLights
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I don't really understand most of it honestly. It's a little hard for me. re: What Do You REALLY Think Of Shakespeare?
"How bout a little black dress?"~hannahshule "I have a penis, not a vagina." ~munkustrap178
TheatreDiva90016 Profile PhotoTheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"How much, Diva? I simply must know!"

I think it was about tree fiddy.
"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post. <<>> -whatever2
ILoveMyDictionary Profile PhotoILoveMyDictionary Profile Photo
ILoveMyDictionary
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm currently taking a Classical Text acting class, focusing mainly on Shakespeare, and the more I learn and read Shakespeare the more I like it. Once you get it in your head that the words are English, the language we speak, and that his characters are not much different from us today, then his plays become very interesting to read.
Danielm
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
If only he wrote musicals--you all would LOVE him!

Yes, we do need a third vampire musical.--Little Sally, Gypsy of the Year 2005.
polly2 Profile Photopolly2 Profile Photo
polly2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
i like some of his stuff and some stuff i don't it really depends on the play or sonnet. I do still have to stop and think about some of his stuff but i enjoy it nonetheless.
In your choice is your talent. ~Adler

Acting is the art of speaking in a loud clear voice and the avoidance of bumping into the furniture. ~Alfred Lunt

http://www.myspace.com/pollyhidalgo
Cruel_Sandwich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
If Shakespeare were still alive today, what would he think of Star Trek?
DG
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
He would love 'Q' from Next Generation.
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: What Do You REALLY Think Of Shakespeare?#20
Posted: 8/10/07 at 10:10pm
One year for my New Year's resolution I resolved that if I had the time and money for a ticket and I heard about any production of a Shakespeare play, I would go to see it.

I probably should have kept a diary because I have no idea how many shows I saw, but it was a lot. It was the only New Year's resolution I actually kept for a full year.

And it was such an edifying year. From a Peter Hall directed show to an inner city Shakespeare competition for high school students who did a Tempest that brought tears to my eyes just for the fact that they ATTACKED that show, it was probably the single most theatrically nutritious year I have ever had.

Love the bard.
Can you hear me now? Twitter: @NamoInExile
hermionejuliet Profile Photohermionejuliet Profile Photo
hermionejuliet
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: What Do You REALLY Think Of Shakespeare?#21
Posted: 8/10/07 at 10:11pm
Well - seeing as I'm wearing a Shakespeare festival shirt right now, I have to say I love his work. Actually, I really enjoy his stories and the language, but I do appreciate and agree with some of the criticism such as plot holes, weak subplots etc. I personally dislike all the popular music/songs he included and plays within a play. Those are just painful.

I love Hamlet, R&J, and Much Ado. I think that the reason most people dislike Shakespeare is that they never see a really good production. I've seen middle of the road productions where you truly have to be a Shakespeare fan, but when you see a truly outstanding production it is hard to deny the beauty of some of his scenes. IF you ever have the chance to go to the Chicago Shakespeare Theatre, I'd highly suggest it. I've seen some wonderful Shakespeare there. However, you can find great productions anywhere, it just takes a little research.
So, that was the Drowsy Chaperone. Oh, I love it so much. I know it's not a perfect show...but it does what a musical is supposed to do. It takes you to another world, and it gives you a little tune to carry with you in your head for when you're feeling blue. Ya know?
Updated On: 8/10/07 at 10:11 PM
ahmelie Profile Photoahmelie Profile Photo
ahmelie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: What Do You REALLY Think Of Shakespeare?#22
Posted: 8/10/07 at 11:31pm
I enjoy both performing and watching his work, though I don't really enjoy reading it. And I really only ever if I'm performing it or doing a piece from it, and if that's the case I usually use it with the text translated into modern English beside it (No Fear Shakespeare is a favourite)

Though it seems I have a particular knack for performing it. Last year I was chosen as one of the finalists for Pittsburgh's city-wide Shakespeare contest. (Okay, I'm bragging. But there's very little I get to brag about :)
Theatre is a safe place to do the unsafe things that need to be done. -John Patrick Shanley
DG
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: What Do You REALLY Think Of Shakespeare?#23
Posted: 8/10/07 at 11:49pm
"I don't really enjoy reading it"

It wasn't written to be read - they're not novels.

For me personally, it is the collected work that stands as the epitome.
jasonf Profile Photojasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: What Do You REALLY Think Of Shakespeare?#24
Posted: 8/10/07 at 11:55pm
I'm not really a fan of the historical stuff, but the comedies and especially the tragedies truly are some of the best plays ever written. When I teach Shakespeare and my kids, as they inevitably will, ask why he needs to use ten words where three would suffice, I show them the sheer beauty of the language - how the words themseves act like pictures - that THAT is the art. Additionally, to second Borstal's remarks in the negative, those plots are simply brilliant. Yes, many were done before Shakespeare, but the combination of tight plotting, genuinely FUNNY material in the case of the comedies, and that beautiful language, certainly places his works at the top of the canon.
Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.