Page: 1

Andrew 'Dice' Clay

Cruel_Sandwich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Andrew 'Dice' Clay#1
Posted: 8/8/07 at 8:59pm
Discuss.

I ultimately think he was an interesting idea that was poorly executed. His basic aim was to create a character so thoroughly hateful and mean-spirited to see if anyone would still laugh. He even went further and wasn't really trying to cloud his "true self", in essence making the audience believe that HE was the character. He never made it clear that he was just playing a character.

The flaw was that he wasn't really that funny. So...I mean...
JoeKv99 Profile PhotoJoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Andrew 'Dice' Clay#2
Posted: 8/8/07 at 9:40pm
He was never playing a character. He was always a hateful, racist, sexist, homophobic piece of crap.

Even in his "Acting" roles, he 'played' Dice. Even if this theory was true, his audience was never, for an instant, in on the "joke." You might as well say Idi Amin was merely "playing" the role of a cannabalistic insane dictator.
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
madbrian Profile Photomadbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Andrew 'Dice' Clay#2
Posted: 8/8/07 at 11:06pm
I never found him funny, only offensive.
"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson
Rose_MacShane Profile PhotoRose_MacShane Profile Photo
Rose_MacShane
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Andrew 'Dice' Clay#3
Posted: 8/8/07 at 11:49pm
Not funny. Period.
http://community.livejournal.com/ltd_brands_suck/
SorryGrateful
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Andrew 'Dice' Clay#4
Posted: 8/9/07 at 10:36am
I despise him. And I agree with, Joe. It was never a character.
You promised me poems. ~Tricky
blueroses
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Andrew 'Dice' Clay#5
Posted: 8/9/07 at 10:40am
I liked him in Casual Sex.
Pippin Profile PhotoPippin Profile Photo
Pippin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Andrew 'Dice' Clay#6
Posted: 8/9/07 at 10:40am
sorry, not going with you on this one, Cruel. If you want a funny, hateful character, you want Kaufman. Not this piece of fat ****.

interesting how he still inspires this much hate, 10 years after his carreer went down the toilet.
"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."
morosco Profile Photomorosco Profile Photo
morosco
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Andrew 'Dice' Clay#7
Posted: 8/9/07 at 10:56am
He was never able to propel the character. Same old routine. Now a washed up hack.
JohnBoy2 Profile PhotoJohnBoy2 Profile Photo
JohnBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Andrew 'Dice' Clay#8
Posted: 8/9/07 at 10:57am
The only thing I found offensive about him, was that he was never funny.
Cruel_Sandwich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Andrew 'Dice' Clay#9
Posted: 8/9/07 at 12:39pm
Are you sure that all of that were his own opinions and thoughts? All comics create personas and characters to perform in, but all of them let you in on the joke. Clay never did that.
mominator Profile Photomominator Profile Photo
mominator
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Andrew 'Dice' Clay#10
Posted: 8/9/07 at 12:42pm
Count me in as one of the never found him funny.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien
bobby_luvs_bway Profile Photobobby_luvs_bway Profile Photo
bobby_luvs_bway
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Andrew 'Dice' Clay#11
Posted: 8/9/07 at 1:36pm
I never found him funny either, but I worked with him on one of his many failed sitcoms and he couldn't have been a nicer person to deal with. I'm a very "out" gay man and he was never disrespectful or homophobic in any way. I agree with you Cruel, it was a very poorly executed character that just wasn't funny.
blueroses
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Andrew 'Dice' Clay#12
Posted: 8/9/07 at 1:58pm
Pippin--I agree with you re: the Kaufman character.

Dice may have just been a character. That never really bothered me. He has the freedom to say what he wants and people have the right to enjoy him. What I hated--and what was so apparent if you ever viewed his HBO special (s)--is that his audience members were NOT playing a role! Ugh. It's not like they were "in" on the joke...you could tell that a good amount of his devotees were trashy, homophobic and sexist and they were eating up all the sh-t he was feeding them.
Calvin Profile PhotoCalvin Profile Photo
Calvin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Andrew 'Dice' Clay#13
Posted: 8/9/07 at 2:00pm
blueroses, I have the same issue with Larry the Cable Guy (not his real name).
Updated On: 8/9/07 at 02:00 PM
bobby_luvs_bway Profile Photobobby_luvs_bway Profile Photo
bobby_luvs_bway
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Andrew 'Dice' Clay#14
Posted: 8/9/07 at 2:06pm
Blueroses, I totally agree with you. The joke was so poorly executed that it seemed to give license to that kind of thinking. And...he wasn't very good at trying to explain that to all the crazy, racist, homophobic, sexist, inbred freeks who enjoy that sort of thing.
blueroses
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Andrew 'Dice' Clay#15
Posted: 8/9/07 at 2:11pm
Calvin, I never heard of Larry the Cable Guy! I'll look him up on youtube when I get home.

Dice was good with impersonations...I'll give him that much (Travolta, Pacino, etc.).

Calvin Profile PhotoCalvin Profile Photo
Calvin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Andrew 'Dice' Clay#16
Posted: 8/9/07 at 2:14pm
No, don't, blueroses! You've somehow managed to avoid this rather unfortunate zeitgeist, so here, ignorance really is bliss!
wexy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Andrew 'Dice' Clay#17
Posted: 8/9/07 at 10:45pm
I can't stand my Brooklyn neighbor.
'Take me out tonight where's there's music and there's people and they're young and alive.'
Rose_MacShane Profile PhotoRose_MacShane Profile Photo
Rose_MacShane
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Andrew 'Dice' Clay#18
Posted: 8/9/07 at 11:09pm
Just to play devil's advocate, blueroses, you could say the same thing of Andy Kaufman's audiences back in the day, too. After all, a lot of people didn't realize his wrestling acts were staged.

And stay away from Larry The Cable Guy. Your IQ decreases by at least 10 points for every minute spent watching him.
http://community.livejournal.com/ltd_brands_suck/