Page: 1

Atkin's Owner keeps son away from partner of 25 years

romantico Profile Photoromantico Profile Photo
romantico
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yes, another horror story about why we need legal recognition. This is just very sad.

Patrick Atkins and Brett Conrad met in 1978 and remained together until fate and Patrick’s family separated the life partners.

While on a business trip in 2005, Patrick suffered an aneurysm and then a stroke. Hospitalized in Atlanta, Georgia, Brett went to be with Patrick; however, to say that Brett’s presence at the hospital was displeasing to Patrick’s mother, Jeanne Atkins (as in Atkins Elegant Desserts and Atkins Cheesecake) is an understatement. According to the opinion issued by the Indiana Appellate Court:
Patrick’s family, however, has steadfastly refused to accept their son’s lifestyle. Jeanne believes that homosexuality is a grievous sin and that Brett and his relatives are “sinners” and are “evil” for accepting Brett and Patrick’s relationship. She testified that no amount of evidence could convince her that Patrick and Brett were happy together or that they had a positive and beneficial relationship.
Patrick’s brother testified that Brett’s mere presence in the hospital was “hurting” Jeanne and offending her religions beliefs. Jeanne told Brett that if Patrick was going to return to his life with Brett after recovering from the stroke, she would prefer that he not recover at all.
As the family did not want to see Brett, Brett was reduced to visiting Patrick for only 15 minutes, after visiting hours had ended. A sign was posted at the ICU that limited Patrick’s visitors to “immediate family and clergy only” but compassionate hospital staff continued to allow Brett to visit Patrick outside of regular visiting hours.

When Patrick was removed to a nursing home in Carmel, Indiana, Brett again was required to visit Patrick after regular visiting hours so as to avoid being seen by Patrick’s family. Patrick was ultimately moved into his parents’ home. Armed with complete control of the situation, the Atkins refused to allow Brett to visit Patrick and even refused to allow Brett to talk with Patrick on the telephone.

(more)

http://www.bilerico.com/2007/08/when_love_is_not_enough.php
'There are three sides to every story. My side, your side, and the truth. And no one is lying. Memories shared serve each one differently' -Robert Evans-
Elphaba Profile PhotoElphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I am so f-ing pissed about this that for one of the first times on BWW I am speechless.
It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956
romantico
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I really hope that Mother gets whats coming to her. We are all human, deserving of basic rights, no matter who we love. How crazy is it that hate-filled hets get full civil rights but good-hearted Americans get screwed because of who they LOVE, not hate!A visit to their website, http://www.atkins-intl-foods.com shows their devotion to God, but apparently not to their son.

I get so annoyed when I hear the word "lifestyle" when referring to homosexuality. I wonder if that journalist did it consciously, or was so used to the word that he/she didn't realize it's implication. Lifestyle implies a chosen way of life. Homosexuality is NOT A CHOICE. People like Jeanne Atkins make me sick to my stomach.

Also,I just don't get why this is such a big deal to these people. I thought this was the land of live and let live. It all seems to be about forcing others to live by their rules. Wait isn't that the taliban?
'There are three sides to every story. My side, your side, and the truth. And no one is lying. Memories shared serve each one differently' -Robert Evans-
paradox_error Profile Photoparadox_error Profile Photo
paradox_error
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I feel sick. What a horrible situation, and I hope that everything works out for Brett and Patrick in the end...
MasterLcZ Profile PhotoMasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The answer:

A few dozen or so dead mice baked into Atkins Cheesecakes.

"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"
romantico
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Long shot but here goes.

If you are in the Northern
Indianapolis area visit our retail
store in Fishers.

Located at:

11852 Allisonville, Rd
Fishers, IN 46038
Store Hours
Mon, Fri, Sat 10 am to 5 pm
Tues, Wed, Thur 10 am to 7 PM
Closed Sunday

We offer not only delectable
desserts, but also frozen entrees
and side dishes, perfect for any
family meal or easy party
preparation!

latkins@atkins-intl-foods.com

Jeanne Atkins
President/Founder

Bob Barry
VP of Sales & Marketing
bbarry@atkins-intl-foods.com

Lisa Atkins-Milner
National Accounts Manager

Rad Thoman
Regional Manager
RThoman@atkins-intl-foods.com
Coverage: AZ, CA, CO, KS, MO, NV, NM,
OK, TX, UT, WA, WV

Randy Strand
Regional Manager
rstrand@atkins-intl-foods.com
Coverage: AL, AR, FL, GA, LA, MS, TN Puerto
Rico, The Antilles

Tim Peters
Regional Manager
TPeters@atkins-intl-foods.com
Coverage: ID, IL, IN, IA, KY, MI, MN, MT,
NE, OH, OR, PA, SD, WI, WY

Laura Atkins-Strand
Regional Manager
lauraatkins@atkins-intl-foods.com
Coverage: CT, DE, District of Columbia, ME,
MD, MA, NH, NJ, NY, NC, ND, RI, SC, VT,
VA

Wayne Barefoot
Canadian National Manager
WBarefoot@atkins-intl-foods.com
Coverage: Canada

EDIT: to add a few phone numbers

Q. How do I request Point Of Sale material?
A. Call Bob Barry at 410-206-2945 or email him.

Q. Can Atkins International Foods provide custom desserts or replicate our own recipes?
A. Yes, Atkins International Foods has the ability to create custom desserts to order, to fit
your customer taste profiles and to replicate your own recipes.

Q. Are Atkins International Foods Kosher certified ?
A. Yes, all of Atkins International Foods desserts are dairy Kosher certified.

Q. How do I get in touch with an Atkins International Foods sales representative?
A. Call 800-887-8808,
romantico
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sent this link to a friend this afternoon. They just emailed me the email they sent off. Its great! Thought I'd share.

Dear Atkins Foods,

I have enjoyed your desserts for quite a long while, but it has recently been brought to my attention that your founder, Jeanne Atkins, is physically preventing her disabled son's husband from visiting him. Once I was informed of this, I quickly lost my appetite. Hearing about sick, twisted monsters who deny other people the right to love as they please - ESPECIALLY sick, twisted monsters that happen to be MOTHERS and place their own misguided morality above the welfare of their children - tends to have that affect on me. Therefore, I will no longer be needing to purchase your products.

I'll be sure to inform everyone I know of the morals behind your products, just to ensure people who buy them are aware that your food is lovingly prepared by hateful, spiteful individuals like Jeanne Atkins.

Thank you,

I hope they get dozens and dozens of emails and phone calls a day.
YouWantitWhen???? Profile PhotoYouWantitWhen???? Profile Photo
YouWantitWhen????
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
This is why everyone who could find themselves in such a situation needs to have a durable power of attorney for both health care and property executed and ready.

It sucks, and it is not fair, but until the law catches up with life, anyone who is in a position of having a life partner that does not fall within the legal definition of spouse, needs to have these forms filled out.

Most states have standardized forms that are relatively easy to complete.

Do it.

Now!
Jane2 Profile PhotoJane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I had heard that the Atkins corp. had gone bankrupt.

Oh well, I do believe in karma. Jeanne's going to be sorry, and the two guys are going to be together and happy.
<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES
romantico
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Bumping this for the morning crowd. I have to praise the compassionate hospital staff.It's just times like this that make me greatful that I live where I do. Completely disgusting excuse for a mother. Heres the article in the Indystar.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007708060398

Read it and weap and weap you will if you have a soul!
Tom1071 Profile PhotoTom1071 Profile Photo
Tom1071
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Magdalene Profile PhotoMagdalene Profile Photo
Magdalene
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Re the "mother"---for someone so religious, it's amazing how un-Christian-like her behavior really is. Jesus is all about love and compassion, and she has not a drop of either.
"NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU BITCH!"
Calvin Profile PhotoCalvin Profile Photo
Calvin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What an absolute ghoul of a woman. I hope she lives to a ripe old age so her son can place her in a sub-standard nursing home in which no one will ever visit her.
DG
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Grotesque - and, unfortunately, not an isolated incident.

Everyone should go back up a few posts and read what YWIW said - it's imperative.
Patronus Profile PhotoPatronus Profile Photo
Patronus
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Unbelievable. Like Elphaba, I am speechless on this. I'll never understand why two people loving one another is so offensive to people.

I've never had an Atkin's product and I'll make sure that I never do.
Calvin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
If you have a strong stomach, try reading the comments after the Star article. Pretty much what you would expect from a state that's biggest contribution to the country is an event in which cars drive around in a circle a whole bunch of times.
SorryGrateful
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
This is disgusting.
You promised me poems. ~Tricky
DayDreamer Profile PhotoDayDreamer Profile Photo
DayDreamer
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sent out my email... will prepare an email chain and myspace bulletin this evening. This is... no words. Just no words.

edit: interesting, the email bounced back...

Delivery Status Notification (Failure)
Sent:
Thu 8/09/07 1:55 PM
To: xxxxxx@hotmail.com

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients failed.

lisamillner@comcast.net

Celebrate Life

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. - Randy Pausch

Updated On: 8/9/07 at 04:56 PM
romantico
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
DayDreamer, I am SO GLAD to hear what you did. I wonder if your email has been bounced back due to a flood of emails. I'm sure there are those who are emailing them in support as well as opposed to what their doing. I sometimes wonder if it does any good. Still, I sent off a email last night and it didn't come back.
Calvin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I read somewhere else -- perhaps in the midst of those vile comments from the loser Hoosiers -- that they had turned off their email addresses because of the volume of mail coming in.
cheezedoodle
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I used this e-mail and nothing came back...

"Oh Link...your pork is ready..." - Edna Turnblad
TheatreDiva90016 Profile PhotoTheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Is it wrong to want to Patti-Lupone-Punch her in the head?
"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2
wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photowonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I want to Patti-LuPone-kick her in the head. With the heels she wore in Sweeney Todd!

Sick. Just sick.
I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.
Elphaba Profile PhotoElphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
We offer not only delectable
desserts, but also frozen entrees
and side dishes, perfect for any
family meal or easy party
preparation!

(but only for the appropriate type of family)

We've got the address, definately write the bitch. That cannot bounce back!
It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956