Take-Out Food

Dollypop
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Take-Out Food#1
Posted: 8/7/07 at 10:51am
Last night my son decided we'd have take-out food for dinner because it was too hot to cook. He ordered from the local Ruby Tuesday's and when he went to pick up the order, he paid by debit card. He was handed the usual debit card check with a space for a tip. He didn't tip because the wait staff really didn't do anything exceptional. Besides, this was a take-out meal. As he got into his car, a waiter came running out of the restaurant and asked if he wan't satisfied with the service.

Is it now customary to tip at take-out establishments?
"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)
doodlenyc Profile Photodoodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Take-Out Food#2
Posted: 8/7/07 at 10:54am
It's like the tip jar at a cash register.

You made change of a dollar and you want a tip?

I'm putting a tip jar by my desk...
"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

ShbrtAlley44 Profile PhotoShbrtAlley44 Profile Photo
ShbrtAlley44
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Take-Out Food#2
Posted: 8/7/07 at 10:57am
I always leave a dollar or two for take-out orders since someone has packed the bag for me.
RobbO Profile PhotoRobbO Profile Photo
RobbO
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Take-Out Food#3
Posted: 8/7/07 at 10:57am
you think that's bad. i was at a restaurant the other night in NYC. i won't say the name but it rhymes with b.b. king's and they had the nerve to automatically add a 15% tip on a meal for two people and also had a blank line for TIP: ____ on the receipt where other upstanding restaurants put it.

the receipt was so confusing because it had the total for the meal, a line that read "suggested tip" and then the "suggested tip" was already put in further down on the receipt in additional to the food total.

bitch.bastard.
XING
PED
AC126748 Profile PhotoAC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Take-Out Food#4
Posted: 8/7/07 at 10:59am
I usually leave a dollar or two in the tip jar if I order take out from a place that requires a pickup. For delivery take-out, I tip 20%.
"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body
doodlenyc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Take-Out Food#5
Posted: 8/7/07 at 11:06am
Ya know what tip I give people who expect something for nothing?

The tip of my boot in their ass.
"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

RobbO
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Take-Out Food#6
Posted: 8/7/07 at 11:07am
marry me, doodle.
XING
PED
doodlenyc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Take-Out Food#7
Posted: 8/7/07 at 11:09am
Let me ask my husband.

Love4Cheno Profile PhotoLove4Cheno Profile Photo
Love4Cheno
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Take-Out Food#8
Posted: 8/7/07 at 11:25am
RobbO, the real mystery is:

Why would you eat at B.B. Kings?
http://preppylife.tumblr.com/
doodlenyc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Take-Out Food#9
Posted: 8/7/07 at 11:30am
I thought it was Z.Z. Chings.

RobbO
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Take-Out Food#10
it was good!! try the mac & cheese but just remember to check your receipt before you tip/pay!!
XING
PED
Lorelai Profile PhotoLorelai Profile Photo
Lorelai
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Take-Out Food#11
I agree, if someone has packed the bag up for you, they might deserve a little something extra. Plus, I know in NJ those Ruby Tuesday's pick up things usually deliver it to your car.
(formerly bronte604) "You really just love money and power and capitalism? You know they're never going to love you back." "Things happen for the best...I don't even believe that myself."
Dollypop
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Take-Out Food#12
Posted: 8/7/07 at 11:40am
No delivery to the car at this establishment. My son had to go into the restaurant, put together the salads from the salad bar and carry a whole shopping bag full of food to the vehicle, where I sat with the baby. Now, don't get me wrong, he's fully capable of carrying out food, I just mentioned it so that you know how little work was done by the wait staff in this instance.
"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)
RobbO
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Take-Out Food#13
Posted: 8/7/07 at 11:43am
i find it ridiculous to tip in that situation and even more absurd that the "waiter" came running out to see if there was a problem with the "service."
XING
PED
doodlenyc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Take-Out Food#14
Posted: 8/7/07 at 11:44am
I would've told him that the problem was that he was begging for something he didnt deserve.

wink
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Take-Out Food#15
Posted: 8/7/07 at 11:44am
When food is delivered to my car, I tip. But if I have to go in and get it myself, I don't. Sometimes the bartender offers me a "free drink" while I wait, then I usually tip him.
Lorelai Profile PhotoLorelai Profile Photo
Lorelai
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Take-Out Food#16
Posted: 8/7/07 at 11:45am
Dollypop I think I might agree with you in your son's situation. That is a lot of work to leave a tip.
(formerly bronte604) "You really just love money and power and capitalism? You know they're never going to love you back." "Things happen for the best...I don't even believe that myself."
SorryGrateful
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Take-Out Food#17
Posted: 8/7/07 at 11:46am
I think asking for a tip in a carry-out situation is ridiculous. I never tip for that because, really, what have they done? It's not like they had to provide and extraordinary service or anything. To me, that's like if cashiers at grocery stores started asking for tips.
You promised me poems. ~Tricky
SonofMammaMiaSam Profile PhotoSonofMammaMiaSam Profile Photo
SonofMammaMiaSam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Take-Out Food#18
Posted: 8/7/07 at 11:49am
If it would stop her from talking through me to the other cashier about their friend who just had her labia pierced or would get me through the express lane in less than 20 minutes, I'd tip them BIG!
Updated On: 8/7/07 at 11:49 AM
SorryGrateful
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Take-Out Food#19
Posted: 8/7/07 at 11:52am
*shivers*

That is so wrong.
You promised me poems. ~Tricky
DG
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Take-Out Food#20
Posted: 8/7/07 at 11:54am
"a waiter came running out of the restaurant and asked if he wan't satisfied with the service."

I would have said I WAS satisfied until now - and then gone back in to see the manager.
tazber Profile Phototazber Profile Photo
tazber
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Take-Out Food#21
Posted: 8/7/07 at 12:05pm
when she asked if the service was fine you should have said:

"Yes, my son did an excellent job of putting our salads together, thank you for asking".
....but the world goes 'round
DBillyP Profile PhotoDBillyP Profile Photo
DBillyP
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Take-Out Food#22
Posted: 8/7/07 at 12:14pm
I often order takeout from a Vietnamese restaurant here in Dallas called Green Papaya. Normally, I do not tip, though, on occasion, because we eat there so often, our favorite waiter will slip some spring rolls in with our order. In that case I will tip him.

However, I always wonder what Miss Manners would do.
"I am open, and I am willing, For to be hopeless would seem so strange. It dishonors those who go before us, So lift me up to the light of change." Holly Near
Act0r721 Profile PhotoAct0r721 Profile Photo
Act0r721
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Take-Out Food#23
Posted: 8/7/07 at 12:26pm
Please! These people do not deserve tips, nor does any cashier.

I worked at Portillo's my senior year. For those not from the Chicago area, it's a hot dog joint. There are cashiers inside and outside, the drive up gets so busy that people are out there to take your order and bring the food directly to your car. I never received a tip and never thought I should get one.

Unless you are making $3 an hour and are dependent on tips, like a waiter is, it's pretty much bull ****.

There's a place I know of that writes on the receipt that they are authorized (how?) to add a tip if you don't. I now know to always pay with cash there. . .
Love4Cheno Profile PhotoLove4Cheno Profile Photo
Love4Cheno
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Take-Out Food#24
Posted: 8/7/07 at 2:41pm
I'll take your word for it that BB Kings has good food. Although I think you may have had too many Lobsteritas at Red Lobster down the street!
http://preppylife.tumblr.com/