Page: 1

Thin Lemon cookies...

Chita1933 Profile PhotoChita1933 Profile Photo
Chita1933
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Thin Lemon cookies...#1
Posted: 8/3/07 at 1:18pm
When I was growing up in Brooklyn, NY in the early to mid seventies, my mother would buy these thin lemon cookies with a slightly brown edge. They were delicious and now that I'm back in NY I can't find them. Does anyone else remember these cookies? I've googled but all I come up with are recipes.

Click on my profile and watch Chita Rivera "Put On A Happy Face"

doodlenyc Profile Photodoodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Thin Lemon cookies...#2
Posted: 8/3/07 at 2:00pm
Brown Edge Wafers? I LOVED THEM! They were butter though, not lemon. Nabisco stopped making them 10 years ago.
re: Thin Lemon cookies...
"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

doodlenyc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Thin Lemon cookies...#2
Posted: 8/3/07 at 2:01pm
You can make them yourself, supposedly:
Brown Edge Wafers (aka Swedish Butter Cookies)

1 cup butter (regular, not unsalted), softened
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup potato starch flour
1 cup flour

Cream together butter and sugar. Beat in egg and vanilla. Sift together flour and potato starch flour; add to butter mixture and stir until combined. Chill dough for about an hour. Roll into small balls and place on ungreased or parchment lined cookie sheets. Press gently with palm of hand to flatten slightly. Bake at 375 degrees F for 10 minutes or until edges are brown.

Makes about 60
(I only ended up with about 50)

Note: This recipe is one where you can let your premium vanilla extract (Penzey’s, Nielsen Massey) shine. I think they’d be incredible with vanilla bean!

Another Note: I used unsalted butter and a generous 1/8 pinch of salt. The recipe on the box just says “butter”, so I’m assuming they used salted. Whatever you do, don’t leave out the salt if you use unsalted butter or else the cookies will taste flat.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

Chita1933 Profile PhotoChita1933 Profile Photo
Chita1933
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Thin Lemon cookies...#3
Posted: 8/3/07 at 2:07pm
you are right! I don't know why I thought they were lemon...

Click on my profile and watch Chita Rivera "Put On A Happy Face"

doodlenyc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Thin Lemon cookies...#4
Posted: 8/3/07 at 2:18pm
I forgot to miss them, along with the cocoa-ey chocolate sandwich cookies with the ridges stamped in the cookie...I think it was keebler...and the chocolate version of vienna fingers, also keebler.

Thanks alot...now I'm craving them!

Elphaba Profile PhotoElphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Thin Lemon cookies...#5
Posted: 8/3/07 at 9:37pm
IKEA has many types of thin cookies that sound similar. They are all great
It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956
Dollypop
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Thin Lemon cookies...#6
Posted: 8/3/07 at 9:51pm
IKEA is a Swedish (or at least Scandinavian) company. They sell wonderful Swedish and Norwegian food items. You might try there is you don't feel like making them yourself.
"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)
AbbaRabbit Profile PhotoAbbaRabbit Profile Photo
AbbaRabbit
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Thin Lemon cookies...#7
Posted: 8/3/07 at 11:01pm
if you're looking for good lemon cookies, stop and shop sells wonderful lemon cookies covered in powdered sugar. i can't really explain it, but when you bite into them, they taste "cold" for a second.

those cookies look good though... i might have to try making them this weekend.
Less is more
Ugly is beautiful
"My brother plays a drag queen... and I'm surprised he looks as good as he does in drag." - Adam Rapp

"thanks, abba. now i'll forever have an image of you as a tattoed hardcore straightedge grrl savaging people in the mosh pit." - papalovesmambo

"Yeah Abba. All the filthy crap you spew out there on those boards. I for one, am equally shocked. :-P" - AnnaK