Bridge over Miss. River collapses

Jane2 Profile PhotoJane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Bridge over Miss. River collapses#1
Posted: 8/1/07 at 8:15pm
Major tragedy-cars plunge into river, etc. On CNN now.
<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES
Mamie Profile PhotoMamie Profile Photo
Mamie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bridge over Miss. River collapses#2
Posted: 8/1/07 at 8:21pm
I'm watching it now. It carried an 8-lane Interstate highway over the river and the collapse came in the middle of rush hour. The saving grace MIGHT have been some construction that was going on that may have limited the open lanes to only 1 going in each direction. It's still too soon to tell. God help them all.
www.thebreastcancersite.com
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03
wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photowonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bridge over Miss. River collapses#2
Posted: 8/1/07 at 8:27pm
I'm watching it as well. It's absolutely horrible.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.
LizzieCurry Profile PhotoLizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bridge over Miss. River collapses#3
Posted: 8/1/07 at 8:29pm
"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt
Mamie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bridge over Miss. River collapses#4
Posted: 8/1/07 at 8:53pm
Pray folks.

The news just seems to get worse and worse. There was a baseball game (I assume MLB) being played tonight and traffic was even heavier with people going to the game.

Current estimate is 50-100 cars went down.

Bad weather is now moving in - with bad lightening and thunder.

The sun is going down making rescue attempts even harder.

3 confirmed deaths as of 10 minutes ago.
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03
MerMaggieGalinda
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Bridge over Miss. River collapses#5
Posted: 8/1/07 at 9:04pm
I'm actually in Minneapolis right now, I am just so terrified. I'm completely okay in my hotel room, but we've gone over that bridge/by it a few times today and our close family friends' have two sons stuck in a concert downtown until at least midnight tonight because the traffic is so horrible. It's just so frightening, I've never been by a huge disaster like this. I was inside watching a rehearsal and then my dad calls telling us about the bridge, it just happened so fast. People driving looked absolutely depressed. It's a tradgedy.
Updated On: 8/1/07 at 09:04 PM
LizzieCurry Profile PhotoLizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bridge over Miss. River collapses#6
Posted: 8/1/07 at 9:05pm
"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt
Ariella Profile PhotoAriella Profile Photo
Ariella
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bridge over Miss. River collapses#7
Posted: 8/1/07 at 9:06pm
Yeah, I live near Minneapolis/St. Paul. It's an absolute mess and the news reports just get worse and worse. A schoolbus full of kids was one of the vehicles that plunged in, which is horrible.
Mamie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bridge over Miss. River collapses#8
Posted: 8/1/07 at 9:14pm
It doesn't look like the bus went in. (Unless there is a second bus that I haven't heard about). There is a school bus caught on the edge of the break at the top of the bridge. I've heard that the bus was full but that they were able to get the kids off via the back door of the bus. I also heard that there were kids hurt on that bus but they don't know how bad.
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03
*brina-doll* Profile Photo*brina-doll* Profile Photo
*brina-doll*
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bridge over Miss. River collapses#9
Posted: 8/1/07 at 9:15pm
But the kids are OK they said, so they weren't hurt. And of all the days to get a thunderstorm it just HAPPENS to be this one, gosh this is just madness.

I also found out on the news that apparently some people may or may not be trapped underneath the bridge, which plunged about 60 or so feet to the river. So for all we know boaters/construction workers could have been crushed to death.

MerMaggieGalinda, I glad you and you're family are safe. It sucks that you you're trip has to be ruined by this tragedy, because Minneapolis is a really beautiful city.
Your aspirations are your possibilities-Samuel Johnson (and a little help from nomdeplume)
nomdeplume
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bridge over Miss. River collapses#10
Posted: 8/1/07 at 9:48pm
These bridge collapses are happening too often.

Dreadful.

Is it outdated infrastructure, inadequate maintenance or inspections, earthquakes, what?
Mamie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bridge over Miss. River collapses#11
Posted: 8/1/07 at 9:52pm
There's been lots written over the last several years about the deteriorating infrastructure in this country - bridges and roads being the worst. I remember reading that we were overdue for a major catastrophe from a bridge collapse - and this was about 5 years ago. The really scary thing is that this bridge (I've heard) was only about 40 years old.
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03
brdlwyr
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bridge over Miss. River collapses#12
Posted: 8/1/07 at 9:53pm
Nom. the bridges in Baghdad are probably more secure. I fear that this will be a major tragedy with significant loss of life.
nomdeplume
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bridge over Miss. River collapses#13
Posted: 8/1/07 at 9:59pm
This is analogous to the dikes being allowed to go bad in New Orleans.

Who's inspecting the dams and bridges and infrastructure and do cities and states take enough care with their maintenance and inspection programs?
colleen_lee Profile Photocolleen_lee Profile Photo
colleen_lee
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bridge over Miss. River collapses#14
Posted: 8/1/07 at 9:59pm
I've been on the verge of tears since getting the first phone call about 5 minutes after the collapse. I lived in Minneapolis for 15 years, just started the cross-country move to Florida on Monday night (currently sitting in a dirty truck stop restaurant in central GA trying to get as much information as I can).

I had been crossing that bridge at that exact time every single night for the past 3 months to get to a theater production I was working on. We closed the show on Sunday. Had the bridge collapsed one week earlier or the run been one week longer I would have been right smack in the middle of the nightmare.

The phones lines are horribly tied up in the area. It's really difficult to get through. Thank God for text message. I've gotten a hold of probably 90% of the people in my cell phone and countless others via facebook and myspace. I still have several friends and family members that are not yet accounted for. A few that I'm certain were heading for the Twins game this evening.

And I can't get internet access in my hotel room...which is making me panic even more.

I have never wanted to be home more in my life. I know there wouldn't be a hell of a lot I could do if I were back home, but I feel so lost and disconnected right now. At least I could be with my friends right now why we continue to wait for people to check-in.

I am never going to be able to sleep tonight.
"You just can't win. Ever. Look at the bright side, at least you are not stuck in First Wives Club: The Musical. That would really suck. " --Sueleen Gay
best12bars Profile Photobest12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bridge over Miss. River collapses#15
Posted: 8/1/07 at 10:03pm
Apparently the last inspection of this bridge was 4 years ago.

Such a horrible tragedy.
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
brdlwyr
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bridge over Miss. River collapses#16
Posted: 8/1/07 at 10:06pm
I guess one trillion dollars buys you a tragedy in Minnesota! And, yes HD I do blame our President for this tragedy!

Colleen, that is very sad for you. I crossed that bridge only twice on my only trip to Minneapolis!
*brina-doll*
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bridge over Miss. River collapses#17
Posted: 8/1/07 at 10:07pm
*Just confirmed that a person has passed away, and that they are in recovery mode; another words they have found most if not almost all the people in the accident and are helping those in need of aid.*

From what I've been hearing on the news is that a few years ago they were doing a check-up on how the bridges were doing, and apparently this bridge was only in 'fair' condition; not up to par on what it should be. It's also been getting pretty bad downtown due to the thunderstorm were having right now, so that can only add to hardships the firefighters/recovery workers have to deal with.

And if anyone wants to get up-to date news on this, please check out these websites and keep in you're prayers the ones who were hurt tonight.

http://www.kstp.com/

http://www.kare11.com/

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/myfox/

Your aspirations are your possibilities-Samuel Johnson (and a little help from nomdeplume)
nomdeplume
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bridge over Miss. River collapses#18
Posted: 8/1/07 at 10:10pm
I feel so bad for you, Colleen.

What it brings to mind to me is how we felt on 9/11 here in NYC, just not knowing how many and who was lost.

I wish you all the best.
LoringsGuy Profile PhotoLoringsGuy Profile Photo
LoringsGuy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Bridge over Miss. River collapses#19
Posted: 8/1/07 at 10:14pm
The bridge is about a mile from my loft. This is just incredibly shocking and scary. I cross that bridge virtually every weekend. There has been continuous construction on the bridge for the past month and a half, and I can't help but think it somehow caused structural weakness, although they're saying it was only surface work.

UPDATE: The mayor just announced in a press conference that six people are now confirmed dead. All things considered, I was expecting a lot more. This reminds me of that scene in THE MOTHMAN PROPHECIES.

"Word of advice: Be who you are, wear what you want---just learn how to run real fast." Marc, UGLY BETTY
Updated On: 8/1/07 at 10:14 PM
Ivan the Wonderful Profile PhotoIvan the Wonderful Profile Photo
Ivan the Wonderful
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Bridge over Miss. River collapses#20
Posted: 8/1/07 at 10:15pm
I just saw this on the news. It looks terrible.
"you freakin freaks. get a ****in life. theres more to life than this stupid website." stage manager 2
wexy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bridge over Miss. River collapses#21
Posted: 8/1/07 at 10:19pm
Really horrible stuff.
'Take me out tonight where's there's music and there's people and they're young and alive.'
*brina-doll*
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bridge over Miss. River collapses#22
Posted: 8/1/07 at 10:19pm
Thank you for the update LoringsGuy, lets just hope no one else has died tonight.
RockabyeHamlet
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bridge over Miss. River collapses#23
Posted: 8/1/07 at 11:21pm
How unbelievebly horrible. My thoughts and prayers to the victims and their families.
"I wouldn't let Esparza's Bobby take my kids to the zoo...I'd be afraid he'd steal their ice cream and laugh."- YankeeFan
"People who like Sondheim enjoy cruelty."-LuvtheEmcee
mejusthavingfun Profile Photomejusthavingfun Profile Photo
mejusthavingfun
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bridge over Miss. River collapses#24
Posted: 8/1/07 at 11:22pm
So sad re: Bridge over Miss. River collapses