Posted: 8/1/07 at 6:18pm
please
Updated On: 8/2/07 at 06:18 PM
DG
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Disowning Your Parents#2
Posted: 8/1/07 at 7:22pm
Get back to us when you let us know whether yours have disowned you.

And for the record, in general, I say "NO" - they're the only ones you've got, figure it out.
nomdeplume
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Disowning Your Parents#2
Posted: 8/1/07 at 7:24pm
If you don't have any money to leave them, there is nothing to disown about.
Liverpool Profile PhotoLiverpool Profile Photo
Liverpool
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Disowning Your Parents#3
Posted: 8/1/07 at 7:24pm
I think it might be about time ot disown life cruel. quickly.
wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photowonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Disowning Your Parents#4
Posted: 8/1/07 at 7:26pm
Liverpool: Are you actually serious?
I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.
Kringas
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Disowning Your Parents#5
Posted: 8/1/07 at 8:14pm
Well, if you're going be the basic accepted definition of disowned, nom is right. If you're not planning on predeceasing your parents and leaving them something, you've really nothing to disown them from.

If you're talking emotionally that's a different story. I don't 100% agree with DG. Yes, they are the only parents you have, but the sad truth of the matter is that there are ****ty parents out there. I'm not just talking the kind that beat or neglect their children. There are myriad ways to f*ck up one's offspring.

When the Alec Baldwin brouhaha happened a few months ago, I had to laugh a little smugly at all the people up in arms about it. He sounded like my mother on a good day. I have on more than one occasion in my adulthood severed ties with her. The latest time I thought I might never speak to her again, but I did. Perhaps someday I'll regret that there was a time when we weren't speaking, or perhaps at some point in the future our relationship will have ended for good.

At any rate (and DG, this isn't directed at you personally, I'm just bouncing off what you said), while I do believe that it should be a last resort, there are times in your life when it's perfectly acceptable to completely sever ties with another human being, even if that human being is a family member.

I'm not sure if that's the kind of answers you were looking for (and I'm not even sure you're ever really looking for answers as it is), but there you go.

And unless the circumstances are really unbearably extreme, I wouldn't recommend doing it while one is still in college.
"How do you like THAT 'misanthropic panache,' Mr. Goldstone?" - PalJoey
Holly Therese Profile PhotoHolly Therese Profile Photo
Holly Therese
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Disowning Your Parents#6
Posted: 8/1/07 at 10:28pm
"I think it's good to be adopted. If you get sick of this set you can just ditch this set and find the real ones."
-Paris Gellar
"You know, with the right volume, Patti LuPone can make a car bounce, too...." -Wonderwaiter
DG
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Disowning Your Parents#7
Posted: 8/2/07 at 3:55pm
Kringas - I don't disagree with you at all - that's why I said 'in general'.
Elphaba Profile PhotoElphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Disowning Your Parents#8
Posted: 8/2/07 at 5:40pm
since Cruel, for the first time I have ever seen erased one of his own posts (GLORY HALLELUJAH THERE IS A GOD)....(still love ya Cruel).
I'll assume it's something on the line of having nothing to do with your parents and should you feel guilty....no, not at all.

Long ago I said if I met my parents at a party (assuming we were not related), I'd talk to them for a few minutes and excuse myself and that would be that. They are not people I would want as friends.
They have mellowed with age, as have I, and I can appreciate them, but the world revolves around my dad and my Mom is his spinning little Moon.
It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956