Page: 1

Deep Space Nine

phantom8019
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Deep Space Nine#1
Posted: 7/31/07 at 10:37pm
Ok, so is anyone else rediscovering how excellent this show was? I am as I revisit it on DVD. Great writing, great theatre actors among the main cast and guest stars (Nana Visitor, Frank Langella, Vanessa Williams, to name a few)... by far the BEST Star Trek series ever (TV Guide's words). It wasn't a Star Trek show--it was a show about life that happened to take place in the Star Trek world. No formulas, no limitations.
It is so odd to hear good dialogue coming from the TV. I firmly believe most good network television died after the 1990s.
Oh well. Who else loves this show? I think it could have run 20 years--plenty of ideas. I miss it terribly.
supportivemom Profile Photosupportivemom Profile Photo
supportivemom
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Deep Space Nine#2
Posted: 7/31/07 at 10:53pm
I like all of the Star Trek series. However, Jean Luc Picard from the Next Generation is the sexiest bald man I have ever watched! I used to work in Product Development for a limited edition collectibles firm. would you believe that the biggest selling plate was that of Mr. Spock? We sent out a questionnaire to die hard Trek fans for the next series of plates to ask their opinions. These people were able to name episodes in great detail, when they aired, who was in the cast, etc. It was amazing how much they knew about each episode. When my son was young, we took him to a museum that was having a Star Trek convention. These people were dressed to the hilt in costumes and were separated in groups by the name of their federation. They were speaking Clingon, Romulon, etc. Each federation club also participated in community service projects- that was kind of neat. Another time, my sister took my son to the mall (when he was about 3). She took him into a plus size store. There was a big black woman who was wearing her hair in braids that was shoulder length. He said to my sister- Look- it's a Clingon. The sales lady just laughed because she was a Star Trek fan!
MisterRussell Profile PhotoMisterRussell Profile Photo
MisterRussell
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Deep Space Nine#2
Posted: 7/31/07 at 10:57pm
I loved DS9 until it became a silly soap opera.
PegasusRising
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Deep Space Nine#3
Posted: 8/1/07 at 1:16am
Oh man... the later seasons of Deep Space Nine are such an underappreciated gem. While the earlier seasons were a bit shaky, once the Dominion War storyline kicked in, the writing was fantastic. I love how the sci-fi world of Starfleet was contrasted with the mysterious and detailed spiritual world of Bajor and the Prophets. Avery Brooks certainly came into his own with this one, moreso than I think anyone quite thought him capable of at first.
"Artists are always on the vanguard of change: they give the community a vision."
"Desire comes from the Latin "de sire", or "of the father", or "of the stars". We want what is magical, what is out there, what is of the stars. And so our characters should as well."
"If there are people who don't believe in you, don't hang out with them. Wish them well, wish them peace, and move on."
-Anne Galjour
My Myspace Music Page
Mother's Younger Brother Profile PhotoMother's Younger Brother Profile Photo
Mother's Younger Brother
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Deep Space Nine#4
Posted: 8/1/07 at 11:41am
It took a while for me to warm to DS9. When it first started, I was in high school, and riding the TNG love-fest. I watched the premiere with friends, and we were completely bored. I stuck with it for about half the season and it never did grab me. BUT, about 2 years ago, I started watching it on dvd...apparently I was too young to "get it," or something, but I completely fell in love with it.

No formulas, no limitations.
It is so odd to hear good dialogue coming from the TV. I firmly believe most good network television died after the 1990s.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
mirramar
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Deep Space Nine#5
Posted: 8/1/07 at 12:34pm
DS9 is my favorite Star Trek series. . . I like that they delve more into relationships than the other series did.
LizzieCurry Profile PhotoLizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Deep Space Nine#6
Posted: 8/1/07 at 12:35pm
I loved DS9 until it became a silly soap opera.

This. But I never really "loved" it. re: Deep Space Nine
"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt
MisterRussell Profile PhotoMisterRussell Profile Photo
MisterRussell
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Deep Space Nine#7
Posted: 8/1/07 at 2:36pm
When Kira was carrying O'Brien's baby and they started acting like the bickering couple, they lost me.
phantom8019
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Deep Space Nine#8
Posted: 8/1/07 at 7:53pm
Nana Visitor was pregnant in real life. Rather than make Kira pregnant, which would have been unlikely, or write Kira out for a few months, which would have sucked, or film her from the neck up, which would have been silly, they came up with the plausible idea that Kieko was pregnant and during a trip with Kira or something, she was injured and the only way to save the baby was to put it in another mother, ASAP. Thus Kira carried it. I thought it was a brilliant idea, and I thought that the bickering really added an element to the story. If you were carrying someone's baby of course you would grow attached to it.
I agree with Mother's Younger Brother--I didn't get how BRILLIANT the show was until recently. It went over my head when I was a kid.
Review the episode "Homefront" from season 4, and see how it is a chilling vision of things to come in our own world with terrorism and paranoia.
Look at Bajor and how it could easily be an allegory for Iraq, and the whole Middle East, or post-war Europe. And the beauty is that who symbolizes what entirely depends on your own interpretation.
I have never seen a show that was so layered and rich... and a show that went though 1000 changes (Defiant, Worf, Klingon War, Dominion War, New Dax) and still kept up the integrity of the plots.
And I'll say right now that Garak and Weyoun were the coolest on there. Andrew Robinson is perhaps one of the best actors to ever appear on television. Oh and Louise Fetcher? Loved her.