Page: 1

Listening to A CHORUS LINE's SACD multi-channel recording

morosco Profile Photomorosco Profile Photo
morosco
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Listening to A CHORUS LINE's SACD multi-channel recording

It's a shame that SACD (Super Audio CD) technology has pretty much been abandoned by the recording industry. It never caught on. The only OCR released in the SACD format was the 1975 recording of A CHORUS LINE. I listened to it several times yesterday on the right equipment and I have to say that the sound quality was nothing short of astonishing. I've never heard anything quite like it. SACD technology uses an extremely high sampling rate and produces much higher fidelity and broader frequencies. The recording also employs multi channel effects that give the illusion of sitting front row center. This technology is very different from any surround sound processes. Everyone is invited to come over and give it a listen. The door key is under the welcome map.
SACD

best12bars Profile Photobest12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I always wondered what it sounded like, and if there was any significant difference. But I didn't want to go out and buy a new player just to find out.

Thanks for the review, morosco!
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
morosco
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The difference is beyond significant. I really wish everyone could have a chance to hear it. But you are right...it would be foolish to go out and buy a new player since there won't be very much released in the SACD format. There's a fair amouont of classical music and the like but even those recordings are becoming harder and harder to find. I think the technology was eclipsed by new things like the ipod.
best12bars Profile Photobest12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I never understood why the music industry didn't just push for releasing audio on DVDs with either 5.1 Dolby Digital or DTS quality mixes. I know some of them DID release "regular" DVD audio discs (and I don't mean DVD-A, which also required a special decoder).

That way everyone who already owned a DVD player and had it hooked up to a decent speaker system could enjoy the higher bit rate quality and the enhanced mixes.

It didn't make sense to me to run out and buy a new player just for these new audio discs (especially when so many of the labels weren't releasing in that format).

I'm glad it sounds great, and I wish I could hear it.

And I wish the music industry would have gotten their act together on this.
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
morosco
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It looks like the OCR of THE PRODUCERS was going to do just that. Don't know what happened to the plan though. It never happened.

Arf! Masters "The Producers" In 5.1
New York - When the producers of "The Producers", Mel Brooks' smash hit new Broadway musical comedy, decided to release the show's original cast recording in 5.1 surround, they turned to NYC's Arf! Digital, an audiophile mastering facility with a string of Grammy nominated cast recordings, such as "Kiss Me Kate" and "The Music Man" on its credit list. "The score really jumps out at you in 5.1," says mastering engineer Alan Silverman, "you can close your eyes and believe you're sitting fourth row center, with the orchestra in the pit and the cast across the stage. The sense of depth and realism is incredible." Arf! utilized the new six-channel EQ and six-channel compressor/ limiter from Z-Systems, as well as Sony's new 777 sampling reverb for the project. "I found that this spectacular hardware enabled me to use new mastering techniques to enhance the illusion of a live performance. The mix had been done in surround format to separate instrumental and vocal 5.1 stems. By using subtly different treatments for the band and the vocals I was able to complete a very convincing live feel." adds Silverman. The recording, the first ever Broadway cast recording to be done in 5.1, will be released by Sony Classical.