Page: 1

Becoming Jane

LionessInWinter
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Becoming Jane#1
Posted: 7/28/07 at 11:06pm
I saw this film at a screening this week and really, really enjoyed it. Oddly more than I thought I would. I was somewhat annoyed for a while by the hit-me-over-the-head nods to Pride and Prejudice, especially one shot being a copy of one from the BBC (Colin Firth) version, which I LOVE, but after a while I just let that go. I recognize that this version of her life was to suggest the influence on her most popular book, but I still expected a bit more subtlety. On second thought, it most likely wouldn't be so obvious to someone who has never read the book or seen any versions of it (though I'm not sure the Laurence Olivier one counts. Becoming Jane)

I thought the chemistry between the leads was great. I don't have a strong feeling for Anne Hathaway one way or the other, but I'm a big fan of James McAvoy and he didn't disappoint me one bit. Loved him.
There was a scene at the end that I go back and forth on whether it was truly necessary as, to me, it seemed almost tacked on and it kind of started to drag out a bit, though I'm sure most will love it. I'm not sure it was necessary as the text at the end basically reiterated much what was just shown or implied.
I think I might see it again after it's released...for the scenery and James McAvoy. Becoming Jane

I thought it had moments where it slowed down a bit too much, but overall didn't ruin it for me. I was concerned when I saw the trailer as it seemed that she would lose her accent at times (and didn't seem to have a very strong one anyway), but I realized that I didn't notice like I thought I would. Can't vouch for it's accuracy, but to my ears it seemed a bit inconsistent, though it wasn't distracting.

Also, it was gorgeously shot, filmed in Ireland.

Edited to correct egregious spelling mistake.
Updated On: 7/29/07 at 11:06 PM
Chloe Profile PhotoChloe Profile Photo
Chloe
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Becoming Jane#2
Posted: 7/28/07 at 11:17pm
I'm really looking forward to this one. Glad to hear it's so enjoyable.
keen on kean Profile Photokeen on kean Profile Photo
keen on kean
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Becoming Jane#2
Posted: 7/28/07 at 11:27pm
The late Ian Richardson is in this movie. Is his a small part?
LionessInWinter
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Becoming Jane#3
Posted: 7/29/07 at 1:00am
Ian Richardson...I'd forgotten he was in this so it ended up a great surprise. He was fabulous of course, but yes, a smallish, yet pivotal role.
StageManager2 Profile PhotoStageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Becoming Jane#4
Posted: 7/29/07 at 1:17am
A wise man once said, "There are no small parts, only small actors."
Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia
keen on kean Profile Photokeen on kean Profile Photo
keen on kean
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Becoming Jane#5
Posted: 7/29/07 at 11:00am
Ian Richardson certainly proved that! Even in BLEAK HOUSE, where his appearances were limited, he made a huge impact.

James McAvoy is becoming one of my favorite film actors! His portrayal in THE LAST KING OF SCOTLAND was extraordinary. I am reading a biography of Jane Austen, and it would appear that the story of Becoming Jane is probably wildly embroidered, based on historical records. But fun to think about anyway.
Chloe Profile PhotoChloe Profile Photo
Chloe
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Becoming Jane#6
Posted: 7/29/07 at 11:45am
A lot of embroidery, yes, but Jane Austen did have at least a flirtation with Lefroy, then destroyed almost all her correspondence relating to him. On his deathbed, Lefroy reportedly described her as the love of his life.
madbrian Profile Photomadbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Becoming Jane#7
Posted: 7/29/07 at 12:01pm
Typically not the kind of movie I rush out to see, but the presence of Maggie Smith immediately makes it more interesting.
"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson
EponineThenardier Profile PhotoEponineThenardier Profile Photo
EponineThenardier
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Becoming Jane#8
Posted: 7/29/07 at 1:51pm
I too must join in on the James McAvoy love feast. :) Can't wait to see this.
LionessInWinter
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Becoming Jane#9
Posted: 7/29/07 at 7:09pm
I loved Maggie Smith, too.

Here's the link to the website for the film. You can watch the trailer and several clips (3 of 4 have James McAvoy re: Becoming Jane) and take a quiz to see "Which Jane Are You?"

Becoming Jane movie site
hermionejuliet Profile Photohermionejuliet Profile Photo
hermionejuliet
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Becoming Jane#10
Posted: 7/29/07 at 9:07pm
I'm looking forward to this movie, but I've read that it isn't really isn't a particularly faithful telling of her life. I was taken aback by a clip I saw because Anne Hathaway's accent didn't sound too great. I will however see the movie because I'm a huge P&P fan, and I generally like Anne Hathaway's movies. re: Becoming Jane Plus, Maggie Smith rocks!
So, that was the Drowsy Chaperone. Oh, I love it so much. I know it's not a perfect show...but it does what a musical is supposed to do. It takes you to another world, and it gives you a little tune to carry with you in your head for when you're feeling blue. Ya know?
Taryn Profile PhotoTaryn Profile Photo
Taryn
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Becoming Jane#11
Posted: 7/29/07 at 9:24pm
The historical accuracy seems to be in quite a bit of contention. Obviously no one is saying, "These are the events as they happened," but it IS based in a non-fiction book by an Austen scholar (Jon Spence) about how he really believes, based on the evidence, that a serious courtship occurred between the two. I read an interesting article about the historical accuracy of the movie that seemed to be summarizing some key points of Spence's, but I unfortunately can't seem to find it. Obviously there are plenty of Austen experts who dispute this theory, but it is fair to say that there are plenty who say that it was possible.
LionessInWinter
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Becoming Jane#12
Posted: 7/29/07 at 10:43pm
A couple of Jane Austen related articles out today. I thought both were interesting.

Washington Post
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/07/27/AR2007072700707.html?referrer=emailarticle

NYT on sexing up Jane Austen and her works
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/29/movies/29jame.html