Page: 1

anyone's Norton antivirus act strange yesterday?

Auggie27 Profile PhotoAuggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Suddenly, it starts beeping, telling me I need to reactivate, that my subscription to LiveUpdate has expired (it doesn't until November), and then wouldn't do squat. Today, nothing. A friend warned me weird stuff might go down on-line yesterday due to the silly date 7-27-2007, but Norton? Maybe it's just a glitch. I don't quite understand what transpired.

If anyone has had odd problems with Norton and their dire prompts, let me know.

UPDATE: Today it allowed me to update my virus definitions again, the 2nd time in 12 hours, so maybe there was some wrinkle within Norton? I'm hopelessly low-tech, but work diligently to keep viruses at bay, having removed a Trojan horse and two worms from previous computers.
"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Updated On: 7/28/07 at 08:27 AM
best12bars Profile Photobest12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I hate Norton. It always starts its auto-scan before my computer has finished booting up all the way, and I get crazy issues all the time.

I wanted to ditch their service, but there's nothing out there that is better for virus protection, firewall, etc.

If anybody knows of a better more efficient program (and I want to see plenty of info backing it up), let me know... 'cause I'd love nothing more than to ditch it.

...and yes, all you Mac-Attackers reading this... This is a big reason why people prefer Macs.

Now if only my fancy G5 at work could manage fonts and render animations with HALF the speed and dexterity of my PC at home, I'd be Mac all around. Sadly, it cannot.
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
YouWantitWhen???? Profile PhotoYouWantitWhen???? Profile Photo
YouWantitWhen????
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Look into Trend Micro's program PC-Cillin.

I use that for my anti-virus and firewall. I have been pretty happy with it.
best12bars Profile Photobest12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Thanks, YWIW. I'll do that.
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Auggie27
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
DOUBLE
Updated On: 7/28/07 at 12:43 PM
Auggie27
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I used to have the other one MacAfee (?), and that's when I got the trojan horse, and spent a nightmarish 48 hours getting rid of it.

Today, I tried to look in my "Norton history" sector to locate info on the alarming Friday night prompt, and there was no record. I find it very strange. (Normally my weekly scan is conduted at 8 p.m. Friday, and my computer wasn't on --perhaps the cause? In the past, it's just said "scan now!")

Mainly, I'm glad it's not bugging me. Those great big red X's are intimidating when you've to go on recrod about Patti LuPone, George Bush, and Lindsay, not necessarily in that order
Yawper
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
AVG from Grisoft for anti-virus - even a free version available - whips Norton and McAfee hands down

Zonealarm for the firewall
midnghtdolphin Profile Photomidnghtdolphin Profile Photo
midnghtdolphin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
i have avast! i've had it for like 2 years and haven't had one issue with it.
zepka102 Profile Photozepka102 Profile Photo
zepka102
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Norton would only scan and not get rid of anything for me. I use Avast too. I love it.
::bust a move::
chealion313
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
I'm having the same problem right now...it's telling me to reactivate my product key and it's not letting me do it.

Anyone know of a solution besides switching to a different program?