Page: 1

The Junie B. Jones controversy

Anakela Profile PhotoAnakela Profile Photo
Anakela
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Junie B. Jones controversy#1
Posted: 7/26/07 at 10:27pm
I'm old, I've barely heard of the Junie B. Jones books (are Ramona books still popular? Ramona was my thing when I was at this reading level. Ramona and Fudge- but I know Fudge books are still around, I totally read the new Fudge book when it came out a few years back:)), and I have never heard of the 'controversies' surrounding the incorrect language/grammar that the 5/6 year old character in these books uses, but I know there are a lot of teachers on here, though maybe this NYTimes piece might interest some of you...

Most of the books have earned an average rating of at least four stars out of five from Amazon readers, but the negative reviews are brutal.

“I am going to throw them out,” one said. “I wouldn’t give them away, because I don’t want anyone else to read them.”

Another wrote, “I find this the mental equivalent of toxic waste.” But those who loved the series are often flummoxed that parents would say that any book that a child enjoys should be deemed unacceptable.

Is Junie B. Jones Talking Trash?
Funny Face Profile PhotoFunny Face Profile Photo
Funny Face
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: The Junie B. Jones controversy#2
Posted: 7/26/07 at 11:11pm
I think that's silly. In this day and age, anything that would make my kids become interested in reading would be fine by me, as long as it didn't have a bad message or anything. Discouraging a kid from reading something they like and making them read things they're not interested in is a good way to kill an affinity for reading.
KelRel Profile PhotoKelRel Profile Photo
KelRel
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Junie B. Jones controversy#2
Posted: 7/26/07 at 11:22pm
I love Junie B because she speaks as a lot of students speak. It is another way for them to connect to a character. The more invested they are in a story the more they want to read. IMHO, the more they want to read the better. People take children's books to seriously sometimes.
"All the while making faces like a baby platypus who forget to take some Beano before eating a chimichanga." FindingNamo in reference to Jessica Simpson's singing.
justagirl2 Profile Photojustagirl2 Profile Photo
justagirl2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Junie B. Jones controversy#3
Posted: 7/27/07 at 12:54am
Oh, I LOVED Junie B. Jones, and I'm fairly certain that I turned out fine. I'm so annoyed by these parents who shelter their children to the point of complete ridiculousness.
Anakela Profile PhotoAnakela Profile Photo
Anakela
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Junie B. Jones controversy#4
Posted: 7/27/07 at 10:06am
I also got a kick out of how the kid in the house where Junie B is banned is 9 years old- 9 years old would've been about when I was heavily into the 'easy' Stephen King books (Carrie, Christine, etc.), and this kid's not allowed to read Junie B.? Poor kid.