Page: 1

Double standards, or hypocrisy?

DG
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Double standards, or hypocrisy?#1
Posted: 7/22/07 at 1:53am
On one of the Potter threads this evening, someone - in the SAME post - first said:
"I don't understand why anyone would want to go out at 12am just to buy a book"
And then ended the post with:
"The only thing I would ever do at midnight or wait in line for at midnight, is if the movies near me has a midnight showing of The Dark Knight"

Now, off the top of my head, this is pure hypocrisy - I judge someone for doing something I think inane, but then admit I would do the EXACT SAME THING for something I like.

However, since I see this same type of thing exhibited over-and-over in our society - and mirrored here in our little micro-community - I wonder if it has just become a generally accepted societal double-standard?

Whatever you call it, it is ridiculous.
StageManager2 Profile PhotoStageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Double standards, or hypocrisy?#2
Posted: 7/22/07 at 2:00am
I can honestly say that I would never camp out for a book/movie/show/toy/whatever. I'm just not passionate about things, I guess.
Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia
DG
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Double standards, or hypocrisy?#2
Posted: 7/22/07 at 2:05am
SM2 - it makes sense if you say you just wouldn't do it for anything.

What I don't get is an obvious attitude of negative judgement on someone who would do it for something they like, followed immediately by an admission that they would do it for something that meant something to them.

I don't know why I'm surprised, actually. It's just another example of our society's participants exhibiting our mantra, "It's all about ME, ME, ME!"
paradox_error Profile Photoparadox_error Profile Photo
paradox_error
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Double standards, or hypocrisy?#3
Posted: 7/22/07 at 8:18am
Completely hypocritical...
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Double standards, or hypocrisy?#4
Posted: 7/22/07 at 8:23am
I went with my daughter, and waited for midnight along with several hundred other people to our local Asda (Wales) for the sale of the book.

It was a rite of passage. I think it's safe to say that the success of these books is unprecedented, and that readers grew up with these books, and the story grew with them.

Although I'm not a fan, there's no denying the joy and pleasure they've given my daughter over the years.

I was a little bit sentimenal on Friday, lamenting we would never do this again. From a child to a lovely young woman, it was one of the things we did together, and I'm sure we will reminisce over the years the adventures of the midnight vigil, and the thrill of getting the new copy.

There's a lot in life I don't get, but I wouldn't deny others their five minutes...
Kringas
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Double standards, or hypocrisy?#5
Posted: 7/22/07 at 10:13am
What a lovely post, Incognito...
"How do you like THAT 'misanthropic panache,' Mr. Goldstone?" - PalJoey
Mamie Profile PhotoMamie Profile Photo
Mamie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Double standards, or hypocrisy?#6
Posted: 7/22/07 at 10:31am
It reminds me of a story in the newspaper about the kids (and adults) waiting in lines at the bookstores the other night. One young lady was waiting with her dad. She told the interviewer that she had only been reading a year or two when the first HP book came out. She and her dad bought the book and then sat down at home and started reading it out loud to each other. First one would start, then the other would take over, back and forth until they'd finished it. She said they continued doing this for each one of the books in the series. She said they were both looking forward to continuing their practice with this final book. What a wonderful memory they've created for each of them! We should all be so fortunate.
www.thebreastcancersite.com
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03
erikaamato
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Double standards, or hypocrisy?#7
Posted: 7/22/07 at 11:48am
The simple fact that people are waiting in line at midnight for a BOOK makes me extremely happy. re: Double standards, or hypocrisy? Personally, I pre-ordered mine from overstock.com...it should be arriving shortly.
DG
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Double standards, or hypocrisy?#8
Posted: 7/22/07 at 11:53am
"The simple fact that people are waiting in line at midnight for a BOOK makes me extremely happy."

AMEN, Erika!

Whodathunkit.

And I LOVE the stories told here - there IS hope!

Updated On: 7/22/07 at 11:53 AM
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Double standards, or hypocrisy?#9
Posted: 7/22/07 at 12:33pm
The simple fact that people are waiting in line at midnight for a BOOK makes me extremely happy.

Agreed. I'm going through an emotional phase at the moment, so whenever customers at my bookstore have commented on the midnight opening today, I've replied with "it's so great to see people so enthusiastic about a BOOK!", and I'd be welling up by the end.

This weekend has been an experience, to say the least. O_O
papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
double standards, or hypocrisy?#10
Posted: 7/22/07 at 12:51pm
clear evidence of the power of paganism to corrupt. i think we need some old fashioned witch burnings. or at the very least some drownings.
r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
iflitifloat Profile Photoiflitifloat Profile Photo
iflitifloat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
double standards, or hypocrisy?#11
Posted: 7/22/07 at 1:17pm
If you want to be analytical, I suppose it's both hypocritical and a double standard. But I think that stated more simply, its just a display of egotistical behavior...of which we are all guilty from time to time. For those things in which we have interest, displays of obsession are fine, for everything else...not so much.

I tend to appreciate it when almost anything becomes special these days...especially the release of a children's book. I've not been bitten by the Harry Potter bug...and my kids are the wrong age...but I LOVE that the release has become an EVENT, and one that gives parents a chance to do something outside of the norm (stand in line at midnight) with their kids. That is a very special bonding opportunity.

When my daughter was younger, she loved the revival of JCS. Oh, hell...so did I (this is NOT the time to argue about the merits of ALW...) and we spent many special hours in line waiting to score those $20 front row tickets. It was an experience I wouldn't trade for the world. And I will forever hold JCS and everything and one associated with it in a special corner of my heart. And the summer of 2000 will forever be the summer of JCS.

Anyway. I digress. In the example DG cited, I'd say it a blatant display of lack of insight more than anything else. I live for the next thing...show...activity...in my life that will ignite that sense of obsession, however brief. In some ways, I mark the timeline of my life by remembering what I was passionate about at the moment, and the special events that highlighted each "era". Standing in line waiting for the book store to open will be one such marker for a generation of children.
Sueleen Gay: "Here you go, Bitch, now go make some fukcing lemonade." 10/28/10
DG
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
double standards, or hypocrisy?#12
Posted: 7/22/07 at 1:31pm
I think you're right, iflit. I just knew something hit me wrong about it - as this type of thing usually does - but I just couldn't get it into words! Your take seems much more to the point.

And again, I love the stories of the shared excitement - ESPECIALLY between parents and children! I think it's great that this has broken the age barrier. Chances for communal experiences have become more and more rare - so I think each one should be treasured. And to have it built around something so positive is the icing on the cake.

Oh, and papa - no one expects the Inquisition (What a Show!)
SeanMartin Profile PhotoSeanMartin Profile Photo
SeanMartin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
double standards, or hypocrisy?#13
Posted: 7/22/07 at 4:17pm
>> this is pure hypocrisy

Nope, just different priorities.
http://docandraider.com
DG
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
double standards, or hypocrisy?#14
Posted: 7/22/07 at 4:22pm
Sean - but instead of an attitude of "It's okay for us both to enjoy our own 'obsessions'," this comes across as "It's justifiable in my case, but you're just nuts."
StickToPriest Profile PhotoStickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
double standards, or hypocrisy?#15
Posted: 7/22/07 at 4:25pm
Mamie, what a great story.

I, for one, can't wait until I can read these books with my kids some day and go through the entrie wonderful journey again, this time with them.
"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.
SeanMartin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
double standards, or hypocrisy?#16
Posted: 7/22/07 at 4:31pm
>> Sean - but instead of an attitude of "It's okay for us both to enjoy our own 'obsessions'," this comes across as "It's justifiable in my case, but you're just nuts."

And fanatics, of whatever stripe, are usually like that. Look at the other board and see what happens when you mention that Patti Lupone might not be all that or that WICKED is an overproduced piece of fluff. I dont think there's asbestos strong enough to protect you. double standards, or hypocrisy?

Further to the point, we're talking about someone who gets all excited over a movie of a comic book. Not an 800-page book that marks the end of a seven-book series. Not to sound rude to our good friend here who slavers in anticipation of DARK KNIGHT, but... please... it's a comic book.

Just dismiss it. Aint worth it, IMHO.
tazber Profile Phototazber Profile Photo
tazber
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
double standards, or hypocrisy?#17
Posted: 7/22/07 at 4:38pm
I live for the next thing...show...activity...in my life that will ignite that sense of obsession..

Well said iflit! I too live my life looking forward to the next thing that will satisfy my craving for artistic stimulation. Whether it be a play, theatre, cd, book, or artwork.

I think people take a certain "ownership" of things that they truly love, and in their perspective their object of affection is better/more significant than anyone else's. Personlly, I think we should respect each other's sense of fandom.
I am not a fan of Wicked, for example, but I can relate to those who go crazy over it b/c I go crazy over other things like Leonard Cohen cds.

....but the world goes 'round
DG
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
double standards, or hypocrisy?#18
Posted: 7/22/07 at 4:42pm
Taz - absolutely.

And Sean - it's not that I think this example is particularly noteworthy (hence my reason not to call attention to the specific poster,) it just seems indicative of the norm I see developing. Just another example of the 'it's all about ME' syndrome that I think we've been devolving into for quite some time.
SeanMartin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
double standards, or hypocrisy?#19
Posted: 7/22/07 at 4:51pm
But that;s what fanatics are, when you get right down it. It's not about the work, it's about "my complete and utter devotion to it because it's the best d*mn thing since sliced bread and Velvetta and you better freaking get with the program because *I* know!!!"

It's nothing new. I've seen it in its myriad forms for thirty years, and now it's just laughable. Okay, so someone is excited about a book that three months from now will be just another book on the shelves and someone else is excited about a movie that, three months after its release, will be available on DVD. Maybe I'm getting too old to care, but, TTTT, I really dont. If someone is so jazzed over something so essentially ephemeral, then, AFAIC, they're just setting themselves up for disappointment time and again, because nothing -- nothing -- can ever meet the bar they've set in their minds.

A more interesting question for me is, some time after (for example) DARK KNIGHT opens, will our little friend be just as excited about it? Or by then will his attentions wandered to something else? You can say that much for the Potterheads: their allegiance is consistent, so much so that there's been very dark rumours of a possible eighth book.