Moments In The HAIRSPRAY Movie That Gave You Chills?

Cruel_Sandwich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
For me personally:

- John Waters' cameo (And the fact that most of the audience recognized who he was, which was truly awesome)

- Pretty much any Corny Collins segment

- The entirety of WELCOME TO THE '60s

- The entirety of YOU CAN'T STOP THE BEAT

God I want to see this movie again so badly. I haven't had so much fun at a movie since KNOCKED UP.

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photojacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Awaiting the opening when it was right about to start. I want to see it again too! I can't wait for the DVD!!
Cruel_Sandwich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Oh man, and so many great Walken quotes.

"You're as spry as a Slinkie!"

I hope someone makes a compilation of nothing but his quotes in the film.
JoeKv99 Profile PhotoJoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"Sorry. That one was me."

And...best of all, during Timeless to Me "Ok, I like pig!"
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
Cruel_Sandwich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"My heart beats only for a size 60!"

Walken is awesome.
Yankeefan007
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The ideas of March made me pee just a little bit.
mateo Profile Photomateo Profile Photo
mateo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
One that made me want to cry (and I am paraphrasing)

"I'll go, after my next diet, that's what I'll do."

Travolta was so good in the scene leading in to "Welcome to the '60's".
"Zac is sweet as can be. He's very much just a sweet kid from California who happens to have a face that looks like it was drawn by Michelangelo, (if Michelangelo did anime)."
-Adam Shankman.

"I haven't left this building since Windows 3.1!"

"Celebrating a birthday this week: Rene Descartes is 412! Do you know who he is? Then why are you watching this show? You could probably get into college and even get one of those job things. As for the rest of us; Amanda Bynes is 22! Yay!"
-E!'s "The Soup"
amoni Profile Photoamoni Profile Photo
amoni
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I didn't expect "I Can Hear The Bells" to be so laugh out loud funny.

Spoiler....................................

I almost spit out my drink when Tracey was in the teacher's lounge and she grabbed the donut and shoved it in her mouth while still singing, followed by the ball in the face and then singing, hanging in the boy's bathroom window. Loved it.
BroadwayEnthusiast2 Profile PhotoBroadwayEnthusiast2 Profile Photo
BroadwayEnthusiast2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
mateo, ditto. You felt for him so much in that scene.
"I mean, sitting side by side with another man watching Patti LuPone play Rose in GYPSY on Broadway is essentially the equivalent of having hardcore sex." -Wanna Be A Foster. "Say 'Goody.' Say 'Bubbi.'" ... "That's it. Exactly as if it were 'Goody.' Now I know you're gonna sing 'Goody' this time, but nevertheless..."
biggest CHENO fan Profile Photobiggest CHENO fan Profile Photo
biggest CHENO fan
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
When Tracey first joined the Corny Collins Show and she said "and I'm TRACY!" ahh i was just so happy for her!!! Also, after Tracey auditions and Velma tells her to go, Penny says, "I think they secretly liked you" aww, so sweet
biggest CHENO fan Profile Photobiggest CHENO fan Profile Photo
biggest CHENO fan
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
oooh! and I loved when Link said, "kiss my ass?"
madbrian Profile Photomadbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"Devil child, devil child!"
"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson
BroomstickBoy Profile PhotoBroomstickBoy Profile Photo
BroomstickBoy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Moments :

- Everything leading up to Edna's entrance onto the dance floor during "You Can't Stop the Beat" and of course her/his verse.

- Good Morning Baltimore.

- the "I Know Where I've Been" scene
I don't WANT to live in what they call "a certain way." In the first place I'd be no good at it and besides that I don't want to be identified with any one class of people. I want to live every whichway, among all kinds---and know them---and understand them---and love them---THAT's what I want! - Philip Barry (Holiday)
IdinaBellFoster Profile PhotoIdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Any moment with Allison Janney.

I Know Where I've Been.
"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards
Updated On: 7/21/07 at 11:53 PM
mateo Profile Photomateo Profile Photo
mateo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
yes- Wilbur says something to Edna right before she goes out during You Cant Stop the Beat that gave me chills. I dont know the line that well, so I wont paraphrase/butcher it.

The minute intro at the top of the movie is gorgeous. gives me chills thinking about it.

The boats, horns, cats, dogs, bicycle rings, The bass, the drums... its heavenly!!
"Zac is sweet as can be. He's very much just a sweet kid from California who happens to have a face that looks like it was drawn by Michelangelo, (if Michelangelo did anime)."
-Adam Shankman.

"I haven't left this building since Windows 3.1!"

"Celebrating a birthday this week: Rene Descartes is 412! Do you know who he is? Then why are you watching this show? You could probably get into college and even get one of those job things. As for the rest of us; Amanda Bynes is 22! Yay!"
-E!'s "The Soup"
anthonycbaron@mac.co Profile Photoanthonycbaron@mac.co Profile Photo
anthonycbaron@mac.co
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
The Opening, so wonderful....

The March, so beautiful and moving...

The transformation Mamma has in Welcome to the 60s.

I'm sure had that ballad been in there I would have cried...
FosseBoi
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The majority of the movie gave me chills. Welcome To The 60s, I Know Where I've Been, and You Can't Stop The Beat were the main ones for me.
"I've always secretly longed for an actress to get to the top of the cherry picker and projectile vomit all over the guards below."- Wonderwaiter in the "Defy Gravity?" thread. ~~~~~~~~My dream? Sutton Foster as Cassie in A Chorus Line
jacobsnchz14 Profile Photojacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
As I was listening to "I Know Where I've Been" I heard someone singing along to it. And when I turned around for a second, there was a little African American girl two to three rows behind me who was singing it. re: Moments In The HAIRSPRAY Movie That Gave You Chills? I cried!

Everybody laughed and applauded as Edna twirled off the bottom of her dress that was covering the rest of her ensemble! They all laughed as she, Tracy, and Inez were dancing! lol.

At the end of the movie, I was surprised the audience clapped and gave an "ovation"! lol.
yankees1253 Profile Photoyankees1253 Profile Photo
yankees1253
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
everything from amber.
seaweed/penny moments.
whenever tracy sang by her self without link.
little inez saying that her bro and penny are b/f and g/f.
queen latifah was outstanding.

zac was non-extistent to me.
same with joh travolta.

i saw richard h blake and i totally fell for him as link(one of my fav bway actors),jenn gambatese as penny,chester gregory as seaweed,harvey f as edna,kathy brier as tracy,tracy jai edwards as amber,barbera walsh as velma,jackie hoffman as prudy,dick latesa as wilbur. they had a fantasic ensemble michelle kittrell, rusty mowery,shoshana bean,tracee beazer,nicole powell,shannon durig who is plying tracy now in the show.

I listened to original cast recording as of watching fter the movie it doesnt compare at all.

someone who was my customer today was like me and didnt like the new movie at all much. she watched the broaway show the night before. me and her were comparing the songs taken out,words replaced in songs,and evrything.
withoutlovewithoutU Profile PhotowithoutlovewithoutU Profile Photo
withoutlovewithoutU
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I cried during I Know Where I've Been.
My dad lived in Baltimore in the 60's, so I guess I just felt the real-ness of the moment.

"If we don't live happily ever after at least we survive until the end of the week!" -Kermit the frog "I need the money... it costs a lot to look this cheap!" -Dolly P. "Oh please, Over at 'Gypsy' Patti LuPone hasn't even alienated her first daughter yet!" Mary Testa in "Xanadu" "...Like a drunk Chita Rivera!" Robin de Jesus in "In the Heights"

"B*tch, I don't know your life." -Xanadu After that if he still doesn't understand why you were uncomfortable and are now infuriated, kick him again but this time with Jazz Hands!!! -KillerTofu
Liverpool Profile PhotoLiverpool Profile Photo
Liverpool
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
chills? there were none. It wasnt a chills movie.
allofmylife Profile Photoallofmylife Profile Photo
allofmylife
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
That's what you think. Luckily many, many of us think otherwise.

I loved Penny's "I'm Thrilled and terrified" line.

And the guys spraying their hair and tossing the cans of hairspray to each other before the Corny Collins show begins.

And anything that kid playing Seaweed did. Amazing.
http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=972787#3631451 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=963561#3533883 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955158#3440952 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954269#3427915 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955012#3441622 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954344#3428699
One Song Glory Profile PhotoOne Song Glory Profile Photo
One Song Glory
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"I Know Where I've Been" gave me the most chills. Especially when everyone in the protest started singing, it's my favorite song in the show and probably in the movie.
I'm not a gay stereotype. I'm a coincidence.
thejcm Profile Photothejcm Profile Photo
thejcm
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Definitely "I Know Where I've Been". I was really missing Mary Bond Davis' higher notes, but Latifah was incredible in the part.

I also got chills during the new little part with Tracy and Edna at the end of "Welcome to the 60's". So sweet.

And when Corny pulls Maybelle onto the stage during "You Can't Stop the Beat", it seemed like there was explosion when she started singing "Oh, oh, oh you can't stop today..."
"Who says you can't bend over backwards and eat bugs if you want to? I guess the bugs would probably say you can't do that that, but assuming that they are willing and consenting bugs, then there's no problem. Let's wig out eating bugs." -RuPaul
Princeton78 Profile PhotoPrinceton78 Profile Photo
Princeton78
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The whole opening was spectacular and full of chills. How could you not fall in love with Nikki?
"Y'all have a GRAND day now"