Page: 1

Question about hairdye.

Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Question about hairdye.#1
Posted: 7/20/07 at 10:50am
I need to dye my hair red for my Ginny Weasley costume this evening. Because I have a lot more hair than last time I dyed my hair, I have purchased two boxes of dye. Should I dye my hair with one box then start again with the second? Or should I just mix it all together and dye my hair once with twice the amount of dye? Any answers gratefully received. :3
chicolini Profile Photochicolini Profile Photo
chicolini
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Question about hairdye.#2
Posted: 7/20/07 at 10:59am
I'd start with the first box, mix it up and apply it and see if you were able to cover your hair with it. They put a lot of dye in those boxes, so unless your hair is really long or really thick, you probably won't need the second box. If you do, it takes what, a minute tops to get it ready, so you won't have to worry the dye is sitting on your head for too long.

If you aren't used to doing this, make sure you do the allergy test they recommend in the instructions and having somebody help you makes a world of difference. You can't get the back of your head covered as well as another person could, especially if you have a lot of hair.
Don't be too sure I'm as crooked as I'm supposed to be.
JerseyGirl2 Profile PhotoJerseyGirl2 Profile Photo
JerseyGirl2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Question about hairdye.#2
Posted: 7/20/07 at 12:18pm
When my hair was long, I would prepare both ahead of time. It's not like having too much will cause any damage. You can be more certain that it is good and saturated.
Pretty pretty please don't you ever ever feel like you're less than f**ckin' perfect!
Jane2 Profile PhotoJane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Question about hairdye.#3
Posted: 7/20/07 at 12:27pm
How long is your hair? Then we can have a better idea.
<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Question about hairdye.#4
Posted: 7/20/07 at 12:31pm
It's down a couple of inches below my bra (and I'm not one of these people with a weirdly high bustline).

Having red hair again is going to be an adventure. re: Question about hairdye.
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Question about hairdye.#5
Posted: 7/20/07 at 12:37pm
I'd say mix up both bottles. It's better to have too much than too little. You want the timing to be even. I only do touch-ups on my short hair and I almost use the whole bottle.

Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Question about hairdye.#6
Posted: 7/20/07 at 4:17pm
Thanks for your advice! I now have lovely red hair, and it used a bottle and a half of dye. It's perhaps a little darker than I'd like, but I blame that on the dye itself; nowhere really sells a good orangey-red anymore. re: Question about hairdye. But a lovely dark red is just as grand. re: Question about hairdye.
JerseyGirl2 Profile PhotoJerseyGirl2 Profile Photo
JerseyGirl2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Question about hairdye.#7
Posted: 7/20/07 at 5:23pm
Keep in mind, red hair is the hardest dyed color to maintain. It's probably going to lighten a couple of shades in the next few days. I had mine dyed Monday by the most fabulous colorist on the planet. She was thrilled with the outcome, I was scared. I had crayon red streaks. It has since calmed down to funky rather than horrifying. I love it!
Pretty pretty please don't you ever ever feel like you're less than f**ckin' perfect!
Revolutionary Profile PhotoRevolutionary Profile Photo
Revolutionary
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Question about hairdye.#8
Posted: 7/20/07 at 9:29pm
Is Manic Panic still popular with the kiddies these days? I haven't seen it sold anywhere in like, 10 years but they used to have the best colors. I had the coolest most electric looking hair in the entire 7th grade thanks to Manic Panic. :)
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Question about hairdye.#9
Posted: 7/20/07 at 9:34pm
My hair's been intense red for years. I'm lucky I do it myself, because I can keep a close eye on it and do what is necessary for $5.99 instead of $100!

Anyway, your hair will lighten right up after a couple days in the hot sun. If you don't want this to happen, please wear a hat!