Page: 1

Gay Bashing Provincetown Police Caught on Camera

romantico Profile Photoromantico Profile Photo
romantico
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Last night while DJ'ing a private birthday party in Provincetown, Barry Scott was allegedly thrown head first into a propane tank by Provincetown police which left him bloodied and with a possible broken nose. According to Scott, who is best known for his syndicated "Lost 45's" radio program, while he was DJ'ing a backyard party in Provincetown, police officers came to stop the music. Upon the officers' "first conversation" with Scott he told them that he would stop the music immediately. Scott then announced to the 50 people at the birthday party that the police wanted the party to end.

Scott then says in the email, "the police then rushed to arrest me saying that I was starting a riot." Even though Scott claims to have told the police "4-5 times" that he was not resisting arrest they did not seem to care. The police officers then allegedly "smashed (Scott) into the wall of the house head first and the propane tank" possibly breaking his nose. Scott then writes, "Blood was coming from the top of my nose where there was a large laceration and blood gushing from inside my nose as well."

The horrific event was witnessed by approximately 50 party goers many of whom took video and audio on their phones of the incident and many also signed a form for Scott with their names and telephone numbers in order to serve as witnesses.

Barry Scott's recount of the 4 1/2 hours that he and his friend Bryan spent in jail last night was equally frightening. Scott writes that his friend Bryan who was suffering from a previous injury of two torn vertebrae was left lying on the floor of the jail cell for over 4 hours and even with the constant alerting by Scott of his friend's condition and need to be able to take his medication, the police allegedly ignored him. Bryan was not allowed to use the mensroom and was forced to soil his pants to which, by Scott's account, some of the police "even smirked (at Bryan) during the incident." Bryan was never charged or told why he was brought to the jail with Scott.

Know Thy Neighbor placed a telephone call into Provincetown Acting Chief Tobias today and was told to call back first thing tomorrow for an official statement. We were told that it is Sunday and "no one is around." Well, by Barry Scott's report, some police seemed to be around last night.

Barry Scott must appear in the Orleans Court on Monday. He is charged with Disturbing the Peace, Resisting Arrest and Disorderly Conduct.

(more)

http://knowthyneighbor.blogs.com/
'There are three sides to every story. My side, your side, and the truth. And no one is lying. Memories shared serve each one differently' -Robert Evans-
Updated On: 7/17/07 at 10:10 AM
folkyboy Profile Photofolkyboy Profile Photo
folkyboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
romantico
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Tell me about it.Maybe the police there need to be reminded of their town's mandate:

Be it hereby resolved by the Provincetown Board of Selectmen that

1. Hate Crimes of any type will not be tolerated in the Town of Provincetown. It is the policy that the Provincetown Police Department shall investigate and seek prosecution of hate crimes to the fullest extent of the law, which shall include the use whenever possible of state civil rights statutes: Sections 37 and 39 of Chapter 265, Section 127A of Chapter 266 and Sections 92A and 98 of Chapter 272. The Town of Provincetown encourages the Office of the District Attorney, the Attorney General of the Commonwealth, federal law enforcement agencies, and the Courts to prosecute these cases to the fullest extent of the law.

2. As used in this Resolution, a hate crime is any criminal act that manifests bigotry, bias, animus or prejudice against the victim on account of this victim's race, religion, ethnicity, disability, sex, sexual orientation or age.

Adopted June 8, 1992; Renewed June 9, 1997 and July 22, 2002.
Liberty is our most valuable heirloom.

In case anyone is interested, you can contact the police department and ask them what the Hell is going on in Provincetown:

wtobias@provincetown-ma.gov
508-487-1213

'There are three sides to every story. My side, your side, and the truth. And no one is lying. Memories shared serve each one differently' -Robert Evans-
Updated On: 7/17/07 at 10:26 AM
Elphaba Profile PhotoElphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
damn, this sucks. I've emailed that moron, and passed this on to several friends who blog and send things out. This needs to be known!
It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956
romantico
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
...and of all places! Talk About Biting the Hand That Feeds you!What's next, gay-bashers on Fire Island?

Has Provincetown decided they don't need gay tourists anymore? If not, I'd expect they'll do something REAL soon about their apparently out-of-control police force.

Elphaba Profile PhotoElphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
romantico, it can happen anywhere...saw it twice IN the Casro when I lived there.

Well, not the police, but gay-bashing.
It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956
Updated On: 7/17/07 at 12:50 PM
romantico
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Tell me about it. I have witnessed alot of it where I live just this summer. Feels like it should be getting better but its not.
etoile
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Romantico, may I remind you of what you have written in your signature.

Before I pass any judgment I'd prefer to read an actual news account and court testimony, rather than rely on someone's blog. To me there is more that doesn't smell right than someone's soiled pants.
Rest in peace, Iflitifloat.
romantico
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What about the police report that was filed? Are you saying this did not happen? Where is your proof? What about the email the victim sent to the local news?
etoile
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm not saying an arrest didn't occur. I'm saying the arrest (and treatment of the arrested parties) may very well have been proper and legal. I'm willing to keep an open mind until things play out.

iHeartMyGeek Profile PhotoiHeartMyGeek Profile Photo
iHeartMyGeek
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm just curious--this isn't an attack or anything--but is it made clear in that article how the police knew that he was gay or how we know that they were abusing this man becuase of the fact that he was gay?
"I can't figure out what kind of life this is, comedy or tragedy, I just know it's showbiz. And what if I don't agree with the lines I have to read? They don't pay me enough, the way I see it."
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Wow. Awful story. Barry Scott, besides being incredibly handsome, is also really really short. I want to say like under five feet tall short. Not exactly sure how he could resist anything, let alone arrest.
Can you hear me now? Twitter: @NamoInExile
romantico
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Let's Review the Facts.This DJ is famous for playing old music, he's not exactly Howard Stern or something. This was a gay birthday party, and we are talking about an approximate time of 9:30PM on a Saturday night. Many witnesses have come forward to parrot the same exact things Mr. Scott has said, and some of them took video on their cell phones of the attack. I use the word attack because of the unnecessary violence of the act. The man in question is tiny, and even if he were drunk and belligerent there would be no need for police to use excessive force. Plenty of people were arrested that night without an incident like this, and we haven't even gotten to the Guantanamo style abuse they received once at the police station. In my eyes it is not up for debate that the police went out of their way to abuse Mr. Scott, the only fact left to explain is why. Many people want to foo-foo away the idea this was hate motivated, so let's open the discussion for another motivation. Instead of saying "we don't know because we weren't there", give me a viable alternative, because the people who were there are calling it hate.
etoile
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yes, let's review the facts, but where are they to be found? I haven't seen facts presented. You posted a link to someone's blog.

Is there a factual account of the events? You state the force used was excessive? How do you know this, or are you supposing it based on one person's biased blog?
You inflammatorily liken their treatment to Guantanamo. Again I ask, based on what? A freaking blog entry?

You talk of these witnesses' statements. I'm sure if they have any credence they'll come out in court. You talk of there being video. Have you heard the audio and seen the video tapes of the entire incident from the point the police made their initial approach? That's an important factor since that is the only way to get any true feel for the situation that developed.

"In my eyes it is not up for debate that the police went out of their way to abuse Mr. Scott..." So you admit to being closed minded and already passing judgment.

Do you actually believe that there are three sides to every story, or is that just empty rhetoric?
romantico
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
No. Logo ran this story. It was on the local news in Provincetown. There was a police report filed and the police department made a statement regarding this matter.Not to mention the numer of witnesses. The news even spoke with a nurse at the hospital who treated the victim.Oh, but take it all with a grain of salt.

Often, Blogs are First To report issues such as these, and I cite the Larry Cirignano hate crime back in December as proof. For a while it was only the blogs that covered the story, along with the Worcester Telegram. Later, other news agencies reported on the matter, but as important as it has become, television stations refuse to cover it. Tom Lang and a few other bloggers are the ones who broke that story.

If you want proof, I have given the names of the officers, and the telephone number to the police department. When you call, ask for Tom Dahil in the records department, and ask how you can obtain a copy of the arrest report. This story may also be in tomorrow's issue of Bay Windows, but I am not sure.

Here is the original email sent by the victim to Tom Lang.

While dj-ing a party, officers came to stop the music. It was their third appearance at the backyard party but my first conversation with them. I told them I would stop the music immediately. A witness or two will testify how nice I was about it. The music was never loud.

I announced to the 50 people at the birthday party that the police wanted the party to end. The police then rushed to arrest me saying I was starting a riot.

I said 4-5 times very loudly (everyone heard), "I am not resisting." They did not care. I was smashed into the wall of the house head first and the propane tank, possibly breaking my nose. Blood was coming from the top of my nose where there was a large laceration and blood gushing from inside my nose as well.

I repeatedly stated loudly "I am not resisting, what are you doing?" but the officer kicked me so hard, he knocked off my sneaker and gave me a huge welt on my leg. Then he stepped hard on my bare toes with his police shoes. He looked like he was in a steroid rage.

50 party goers watched me arrested, saying out loud it was police brutality. Some took video and audio on their phones of the incident. They could not believe what happened and how much the police over reacted and all signed a form with their names and numbers. In actuality, it was the police who could have incited a riot.

I was hand cuffed roughly (still have the marks) and thrown into the police cruiser. Bryan was also taken in for 4 1/2 hours with me and never arrested or told why. He has two torn vertebrae and they refused him his medicine for it. He laid on the floor on the cold metal jail cell for the 4 1/2 hours and they did not help him, even when he needed to go to the bathroom. They had handcuffed him roughly which aggravated his back and he couldn't even go to the bathroom. After hours when they wouldn't help him, he was forced to go in his pants. They were totally disrespectful of his condition and appallingly inhumane. Some of them even smirked at him during the incident.

I am hoping you will all help spread the word to the various gay/lesbian groups, the p-town police chief and anyone else you can think of about this brutality. I will file a complaint and a lawsuit will follow.

This behavior was disgusting. Some of the pictures are attached. The amount of blood loss on the chair alone, not to mention the house, the wall and the propane tank will tell you how bad it was.

Please help me fight this. I have to be in court on Monday morning in Orleans. I am charged with Disturbing The Peace, Resisting Arrest and Disorderly.

Like I said, 50 people or more watched horrified and couldn't believe their own p-town officers were doing this to me.

Barry Scott

Here is an update. The Massachusetts Gay and Lesbian Anti-Violence Project is gravely concerned that excessive force was used, a fact which Scott's injuries clearly establish. Given the disproportionate police response, we immediately suspect that homophobia may have played a role in the way Scott was treated. This possibility needs to be seriously considered and investigated. "There can be no good reason for force sufficient to bruise and bloody Mr. Scott. I can't imagine him posing any physical threat to police officers whatsoever. This sounds like something you would expect at Guantanamo Bay, and yet this is Provincetown where the bashing took place" said Don Gorton,Chairperson of the Gay and Lesbian Anti-Violence Project.

I'll look and see if I can find a link to the newscast on LOGO. I do believe in three sides to every story. DO you really think this incident is that far fetched? Is gay bashing something you feel is rare and uncommon? Just asking.

Updated On: 7/18/07 at 09:31 AM
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Well, it sounds like an unlawful arrest was made and excessive force was used, as well as the abuse in the jail. But can they prove it was a "hate crime"? Barry Scott never mentioned those words.
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
romantico
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The story is begining to break CBS radio today had a very brief mention of this. Heres a link from the Provincetown Banner.

http://www.provincetownbanner.com/article/news_article/_/49280/News/7/19/2007

romantico
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend