Page: 1

Hal Prince and Evita Movie

wiggum2 Profile Photowiggum2 Profile Photo
wiggum2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Hal Prince and Evita Movie#0
Posted: 1/4/04 at 5:34pm
With the thread about the next Evita, it make me curious, How did Hal Prince feel about the Evita movie? DOes the original director make anything if they make a movie from his production? If so, anyone know how much? I would think he'd make some money off POTO as well.
jrb_actor Profile Photojrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hal Prince and Evita Movie#1
Posted: 1/4/04 at 5:43pm
Why would he make any money off of those films?--he has nothing to do with them.
Auggie27 Profile PhotoAuggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: Hal Prince and Evita Movie#2
Posted: 1/4/04 at 6:07pm
Prince didn't produce Evita, the Robert Stigwood office did. It would be unusual for him to have a share.

The Evita property, as many here know, was passed around many times. Aside from Oliver Stone, who had it in development for years, Ken Russell was to make it with Liza -- that's right, Liza (she did screen tests, even -- wouldn't you like to see 'em?). No one else thought Liza could pull it off. And Meryl Streep had an eye on it for a while. And if I recall correctly, the first choice of Alan Parker was Michelle Pfeiffer. She was pregnant, or backed out for some reason. I think she might've been good, actually; she can sing.
"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: Hal Prince and Evita Movie#3
Posted: 1/4/04 at 8:37pm
At one point, the four being considered were Madonna, Meryl Streep, Bernadette Peters and Barbra Streisand.
If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
wickedfan Profile Photowickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
harold prince never liked the ideas of sondheim or lyodd webber being movies. But he never complained with what it ended up becoming.
"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.
Elphie Profile PhotoElphie Profile Photo
Elphie
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Madonna, I have to admit, did shock me. Her voice, though not LuPone, was very smooth for the part. She didnt sound so much as a pop singer. I thought the movie was actually pretty good. Antonnio was also very, very good in it. He was the only reason why I ever wanted to see NINE just based off of his performance in EVITA.
"They hear drums. We hear music."
wickedfan Profile Photowickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
i was also surprised. but the direction wasnt all that great. he used too little of every shot
"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.
tpdc
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Prince directed the film version of Sondheim's A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC, so he must have gotten over his objection. He also was interested in amking a film of FOLLIES with old MGM movie musical stars. I believe someone even worked on a treatment.