Shows that start at the end

JakeB
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Shows that start at the end#0
Posted: 1/2/04 at 5:10pm
Never mind cliffhanger endings, which shows open right at the very end?

Blood Brothers
Evita
Merrily We Roll Along
The Last Five Years

Bonus question - what was special about the Donmar's recent Olivier Award winning production of Merrily We Roll Along?
broadwayguy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Shows that start at the end#1
Posted: 1/2/04 at 5:15pm
Wicked
Hello Gorgeous
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: re: Shows that start at the end#2
Posted: 1/2/04 at 5:16pm
Kind of like a flashback? Because in that case, Wicked counts...
~*Christa*~ "Don't ya wanna be the life of the party?" Idina Menzel, THE WILD PARTY
Hello Gorgeous
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: re: re: Shows that start at the end#3
Posted: 1/2/04 at 5:17pm
Crap someone got there before me...grrr....haha
~*Christa*~ "Don't ya wanna be the life of the party?" Idina Menzel, THE WILD PARTY
Mattio98
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Phantom of the Opera
mcphan19 Profile Photomcphan19 Profile Photo
mcphan19
Stand-by
Stand-by
Sunset Blvd.
Benzy92 Profile PhotoBenzy92 Profile Photo
Benzy92
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I LOOOVE Merrily We Roll Along.. there was supposed to be a reading for a revival I read on Variety.com? I think Gavin Creel was mentioned as Charlie.
BillyLawlor Profile PhotoBillyLawlor Profile Photo
BillyLawlor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
In a way, Jekyll and Hyde does. Because Utterson and Sir Danvers are talking about Jekyll and how fine of a man he was and all. So, they were sort of flashing back, weren't they?

Or was that not a flashback?
Mr Roxy Profile PhotoMr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Betrayal by Pinter I believe
Poster Emeritus
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Aspects of Love
MyNameInLights Profile PhotoMyNameInLights Profile Photo
MyNameInLights
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Hey BillyLawlor! I wouldn't say so... I think when Utterson and Sir Danvers were talking about how fine a man Jekyll was, I think they were talking about how much he had changed since experimenting with good and evil. I hope I explained that right, but then again I never understand myself...
"The stage is where I live and come alive and act out all the things that go on in my life. It's not just what I do for a living, it's my shrink and my love affair. No one in my life has ever or ever will kiss me on the mouth like this lover called my relationship with my performance."
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm not sure what you're referring to as "special" about the Donmar revival of "Merrily". But it did restore the song "The Hills Of Tomorrow" to the opening scene, which had been cut in earlier rewrites by Sondheim and Furth.

It was also a pretty special production with some great performances, especially from Daniel Evans as Charlie.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY*****
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
In addition to all the shows mentioned by others, another show that starts "at the end" - and then tells the story in flashback - is "Camelot". The original Broadway production did not do this, however. But when Lerner wrote the screenplay for the film version, he began it "at the end". Then he rewrote the book for the stage version for later productions.

Also, "Company" begins - and ends - with Bobby's birthday party, then the rest of the show unfolds as scenes in Bobby's mind from what has happened in his life.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY*****
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
FUNNY GIRL is another show in which Act One Scene 1 is the same as the last scene in the last act. Fanny sitting in her dressing room of the New Amsterdam Theatre waiting for Nick Arnstein to arrive after being released from prison. The entire show is Fanny's memories bringing her to this day in her life.

Yours for a Broadway of Styne-ways!
JO125
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
TABOO
Starts with Phillip and Big Sue meeting for the photo shoot and ends at the photo shoot.

My memory is pretty fuzzy on this, but I believe BLOODBROTHERS also begin at the end and then the narrator told the story via flashback of how the tragic end came to pass.
JoizeyActor Profile PhotoJoizeyActor Profile Photo
JoizeyActor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Taboo has started at the end in another way as well.
Craig Profile PhotoCraig Profile Photo
Craig
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
technically, little shop of horrors pretty much begins at the end with the naration and the "warning" from the urchins..
"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka
Updated On: 1/3/04 at 12:15 AM
JoizeyActor Profile PhotoJoizeyActor Profile Photo
JoizeyActor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Hm, that's true too.

"You better,
You better,
Tellin' you better
Tell your mama
Somethin's gonna get her.
She better,
Everybody better beware."
CaTheatreGirl Profile PhotoCaTheatreGirl Profile Photo
CaTheatreGirl
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Sumofallthings Profile PhotoSumofallthings Profile Photo
Sumofallthings
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Assassins kind of counts it looks back at the assassins I suppose

BSoBW2: I punched Sondheim in the face after I saw Wicked and said, "Why couldn't you write like that!?"
Kitzarina Profile PhotoKitzarina Profile Photo
Kitzarina
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yes, Aida definately counts. I would say that Jane Eyre counts too. It doesn't really start at the end, but it is told from Jane's POV after the events have occured. At least in the pre-Broadway conception...I refuse to listen to the bastardized version that opened in the Brooks Atkinson theater >_<
"You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" --Family Guy

"Shut up! It's been 29 years!!!" --the incomparable Patti LuPone in her MUCH DESERVED Tony acceptance speech for Gypsy.

Kitzy's Avatar du Jour: Kitzy as Little Red Ridinghood in her college's production of "Into the Woods"
onceadancer2 Profile Photoonceadancer2 Profile Photo
onceadancer2
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Noel Coward's BITTERSWEET. Am I the only person here who knows this show?
Every movement has a meaning--but what the hell does it mean!
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Welcome back, Miriam!

No, you're not the only person who knows BITTERSWEET. I suspect there are several board posters who have an appreciation for Noel Coward as well.

Great to hear from you. Broadway Bulldog
JakeB
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Donmar#23
Posted: 1/3/04 at 9:32am
Bob, I believe the production at the Donmar was performed in the correct order and not going backwards? Either that or they rehearsed it so that they could go either way and still be fine.

BTW, I saw Samantha Spiro recently in A Midsummer Night's Dream. Afterwards she was in the bar and she is tiny, but very good looking!
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Donmar#24
Posted: 1/3/04 at 2:09pm
The Donmar production most certainly performed the show backwards - it's the ONLY way it would work - as that is the whole point of the show.