Page: 1

The rehabilitation of Michael Crawford?

ChrisLovesShows Profile PhotoChrisLovesShows Profile Photo
ChrisLovesShows
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The rehabilitation of Michael Crawford?#0
Posted: 12/31/03 at 8:41pm
Since DOTV set Mr. Crawford's marquee value back a few notches, let's brainstorm how to get his career back on track. Despite the debacle of DOTV and the fact that his pipes are not what they were (as would be expected of any aging actor), I for one would hate to see a talented performer banished from the boards forever.

OK, so here's my idea: Everyone expects him to take only leading parts, right? But since I don't imagine that a lot of starring roles are coming his way, what if he begins by taking a smaller, age-appropriate character part? Julian Marsh in 42nd Street Caldwell B. Cladwell in Urinetown, Mr. Mushnik in Little Shop, maybe even in Wilbur Turnblad in Hairspray or Roger DeBris in The Producers. I think his fans, and there are still many devoted ones, would love to see him back on Broadway in anything successful and would flock to see him. Also taking a smaller part would give him big "trooper" points in the Broadway community and hopefully remove some of the diva stigma that has, fairly or not, attached itself to him. Or maybe (probably) I'm insane.

Thoughts? Ideas? So, all in fun, how do we get Mr. Crawford back to Broadway?

"Do you know ChrisLovesShows?" "Yes. Why, yes he does!"
Updated On: 12/31/03 at 08:41 PM
Musetta1957 Profile PhotoMusetta1957 Profile Photo
Musetta1957
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Upon first reading, I kind of recoiled at the thought of him as Cladwell, but he's so over the top at times that it could work. I'm totally NOT a fan of his, but I giggled out loud when I imagined him saying, "I KEPT THE WATER IN THE GROUND!!!"

Of course, there ain't much time left for Urinetown on Broadway, so he'd have to perform in the US tour (yeah right) or maybe a London production?
MyNameInLights Profile PhotoMyNameInLights Profile Photo
MyNameInLights
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Don't know why I'm even thinking about saying this, but what about Herbie in Gypsy?
"The stage is where I live and come alive and act out all the things that go on in my life. It's not just what I do for a living, it's my shrink and my love affair. No one in my life has ever or ever will kiss me on the mouth like this lover called my relationship with my performance."
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Maybe a revival of "Ballroom".
If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
Auggie27 Profile PhotoAuggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Herbie, what about Rose? Come on, it's Michael Crawford, y'all. The only thing he'll be supporting is his chest notes.
"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Sally Profile PhotoSally Profile Photo
Sally
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
There's a rumor that he might do a Brit sit-com---just a rumor so far.
broadwayguy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
they can rehabilitate him by strapping him to a bed in a secluded corner or a nursing home and never letting him near a Broadway stage again.
Rob Profile PhotoRob Profile Photo
Rob
Team BWW
Team BWW
I personally would like to see him originate a new stage role in London, and then to bring it to Broadway, but as another poster noted, it was reported in the Daily Mail last week that he was in talks for a leading role in a new British sitcom. No word as of yet if that report was legit.

We shall see, and I strongly hope that the Broadway stage will at some point see his return.
DofB5
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I hadn't heard about the sit com but I agree with you, Rob. 100%

D
Rob Profile PhotoRob Profile Photo
Rob
Team BWW
Team BWW
He's the snippet from the Daily Mail last week... As usual with the Daily Mail as a source, take it with at least a small grain of salt. re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: The rehabilitation of Michael Crawford?

Comedy Comback- Frank Spencer Returns to BBC After More Than 20 Years

As bungling Frank Spencer, Michael Crawford played one of the funniest men on TV. Now, after more than 20 years away from the small screen, the 61 year old actor is returning to the BBC for a new sitcom. After losing out on plum roles in the film version of Phantom of the Opera and The Producers, Crawford has agreed to star in a new sitcom by the writer of BBC2 show Gimme Gimme Gimme. Made by Steve Coogan's Company 'Baby Cow,' the show will feature Crawford as a widower who has to deal with looking after his family.

A source said there have been several drafts and the scripts are now in with the BBC. There will be more news about it in the New Year, but he will not be reprising Frank Spencer. Crawford is one of a number of older stars who are making a return to TV comedy. Mr. Crawford's spokesman said: "I can confirm that we are in discussions but it is still early days yet."

eponine88
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Hmm, a return to tv comedy? I wonder how that would work out... Pity everything went sour with DotV. Not an entirely bad show if you went in with an open mind, ready for any kind of slap stick entertainment, but I can see where the critics were coming from (and i'm a die hard crawford fan) I wonder how MC'll do getting back into the swing of things.
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
GIMME GIMME GIMME#11
Posted: 1/1/04 at 1:28pm
GIMME GIMME GIMME is the most irreverant and funny show on televsion. Thank you BBC America.

Now please bring it back!

Bulldog.
Auggie27 Profile PhotoAuggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: GIMME GIMME GIMME#12
Posted: 1/1/04 at 1:55pm
All kidding aside, Crawford has evolved into one of those outre, "legendary" performers we will have difficulty accepting a supporting role, at least on stage. He used to play average Joes -- I saw him in BILLY in London in the 70s, in which he was a low-class Brit, and quite wonderful and believable. And I'm the minority, but I think he shines as a geek Cornelius in the Streisand Dolly. But after Phantom, the self-parody aspect of VAMPIRES, and concerts at Radio City, he's become a kind of institution.

As others here suggest, he should find a sort of Michael Caine role. (Like the one in HANNAH AND HER SISTERS), and re-establish himself as someone who doesn't wear black capes and tuxes all the time.
"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: GIMME GIMME GIMME#13
Posted: 1/1/04 at 2:10pm
Re: Gimme, Gimme, Gimme, Kathy Burke is one of the greatest actresses around. Bring her to Broadway now!!
If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
ChrisLovesShows Profile PhotoChrisLovesShows Profile Photo
ChrisLovesShows
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: GIMME GIMME GIMME#14
Posted: 1/1/04 at 2:29pm
Auggie, I agree that a supporting role would be quite weird for his audiences at first, but that's one reason I think it might be a good idea: It would be so crazy and unexpected. I mean I know this would NEVER happen in a million years, but I think people would rush the box office to see him dance with Harvey's Edna as Wilbur. (Now that's crazy!)
"Do you know ChrisLovesShows?" "Yes. Why, yes he does!"
Broadwaylilhead Profile PhotoBroadwaylilhead Profile Photo
Broadwaylilhead
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: GIMME GIMME GIMME#15
Posted: 1/1/04 at 3:04pm
How about Michael does us a favor and returns to EFX..or does a follow up to his Disney album. LOL
Call it a regime change...
Old Bat
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: re: re: re: re: GIMME GIMME GIMME#16
Posted: 1/1/04 at 3:27pm
I can't wait for Michael to return to the UK where he is understood and still held in real affection by the public of all ages, even though we've hardly seen him here for eighteen years. Don't get me wrong - I loved EFX, but only because Michael was in it, otherwise it was a load of twaddle. I genuinely adored Dance of the Vampires, but it can hardly be said that it was a good career move for MC and from what I have seen of interviews and TV shows he has done in the States (starting with that DREADFUL Bob Hope thing and including the PBS concert special) he has rarely seemed comfortable and relaxed. Pick the bones out of that....
Sumofallthings Profile PhotoSumofallthings Profile Photo
Sumofallthings
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: re: re: GIMME GIMME GIMME#17
Posted: 1/1/04 at 3:43pm
We could put him in the ensemble of any show and not give him any speaking lines, show him what its really like to be an actor and then give him a lead.
BSoBW2: I punched Sondheim in the face after I saw Wicked and said, "Why couldn't you write like that!?"
ChristineDaae Profile PhotoChristineDaae Profile Photo
ChristineDaae
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I thought Michael Crawford was pretty good in DOTV, that show was so funny! I miss it!!

Chrislovesshows- I can also see Michael as Julian Marsh in 42nd Street. I can also see him in maybe the Producers? Wasn't he offered a role on the Producers anyway??
"Life will be frozen peaches and cream. Baby, dream Your Dream" ~ SC
Sumofallthings Profile PhotoSumofallthings Profile Photo
Sumofallthings
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"Should I...should I hit him?"-Peter Griffin

ChristineDaae your picture looks like Sarah Brightman is holding an Oscar.
BSoBW2: I punched Sondheim in the face after I saw Wicked and said, "Why couldn't you write like that!?"
MyNameInLights Profile PhotoMyNameInLights Profile Photo
MyNameInLights
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
DAVID CASSIDY WAS THE BEST IN EFX!! Sorry, I'm in love with him... Hahahaha.
"The stage is where I live and come alive and act out all the things that go on in my life. It's not just what I do for a living, it's my shrink and my love affair. No one in my life has ever or ever will kiss me on the mouth like this lover called my relationship with my performance."
MusicalComedyMan
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
WELL... i think he should do the revival of Camelot with Julie Andrews. They can both lipsinc to the origional cast recording.
ChristineDaae Profile PhotoChristineDaae Profile Photo
ChristineDaae
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
sumofallthings- lol shes holiding a candle!
"Life will be frozen peaches and cream. Baby, dream Your Dream" ~ SC
sheekala
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I've been saying he should try Roger Debris in The Prodcuers on for size for ages now..I think it would of been a good fit and could give him the chance at broad comedy he so wanted during the nightmarish run of DOTV, Rocco are you listening?, it's your answer for when Matthew and Nathan leave...
You've got to spread joy up to the maximum Bring gloom down to the minimum Have faith or pandemonium's Liable to walk upon the scene