Page: 1

Rent Sept 28th 8pm

TabooWickedFan Profile PhotoTabooWickedFan Profile Photo
TabooWickedFan
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Rent Sept 28th 8pm#0
Posted: 9/29/06 at 1:29am
Tonight was my first night back to Rent since about a year ago so I was really excited to see a new cast take a stab at it. My friend won lotto so me and my other friend (the friend who won went to another show) sat second row center on the end. What a perfect spot. The cast went as follows

*Roger-Luther Creek
Wow. The show began with the lady coming over the sound system to make the announcement that Luther would be on and I had always wanted to see him in the role so I was excited. At first I wasn't so sure just because it seems he doesn't open his mouth when he sings. But after I got past that, he was absolutely amazing. His portrayl as Roger was one of inner struggle and it should on stage. His chemistry with Jaime was so on and right they just worked. He is on the angrier side of the Rogers I have seen and I like that. In ICYR he was balling his eyes out and that was just, wow. What an amazing job and I am so glad I got to see him in the role.

Mark- Chris J. Hanke
He was the one I was excited to see. He was the best Mark I have seen, and I have seen many. He brought so much new stuff to the character and I saw new things tonight that I had never seen before. His voice is so clear and sweet and he is just Mark, through and through. He is such a sweetheart too, and was so gracious. What an amazing guy. Can't say enough good stuff about him.

Tom Collins-Destan Owens
I have seen him play Collins once before I believe, and nothing compares with what he did tonight. His chemistry with Justin is one of the sweetest Angel/Collins pair I have seen in awhile. But his moment of the show was him balling into his jacket in ICYR. He made me cry, it was just so beautiful and he did just such an amazing job. Wonderful.

Benny- D'Monroe
Have seen him many a time as Benny and tonight he added a little different spark to it. Added some riffs and funny dance moves in Contact. He is always good, no matter when I see him, and tonight was no different.

Joanne Jefferson- Nicole Lewis
I don't personal like the Joanne character but this girl has an amazing voice. TMOLM was wonderful with Ava. She and Chris had a blast during Tango Maureen and that was my favorite number from her.

Angel- Justin Johnston
This boy always has something new up his sleeve. He had new riffs, new dance moves, a lot of new, and I really enjoyed it. He is one of my favorites Angels and him and Destan were just so cute together. His solo in Contact was the best I have ever seen from him.

Mimi- Jaime Lee Kirchner
Now she is not the best Mimi I have ever seen but she was really really good. She had Luther had amazing chemistry and she gave every actor on stage so much to work with. GL was the best one I have ever seen, she just had so much emotion in her and she portrayed that on stage beautifully. Her voice is really raspy and raw and that I like, she did a great job.

Maureen- Ava Gaudet
She has such a pretty voice. OTM was so funny she is such a wonderful actress and Rent will definitely miss her. She is just, I don't know how to describe it, she has something about her were you have to watch her no matter what. She did great tonight.

The entire ensemble was fantastic! I would write more but since it is 1:27 and I have class in a few hours I really need to get some sleep. But yes all I can say is I had such an amazing time and the cast was just so wonderful. Head down to Rent and you will not be dissappointed.
"But I relish every brillant inspired moment. This is who I'm determined to be- an actor/singer/dancer-no, I take that back, this is who I am. These people are my tribe, my destiny. I know it. -How I Paid for College; A story of sex, theft, friendship and musical theater.
Wanna Be A Foster Profile PhotoWanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Rent Sept 28th 8pm#1
Posted: 9/29/06 at 1:54am
S-P-E-L-L out the names of the songs. Not all of us know the song titles as well as you do that we know off the tops of our heads that "ICYR" stands for (took me forever) "I'll Cover You (Reprise)". Lord. re: Rent Sept 28th 8pm

Great review otherwise. (I stopped reading when I got to Joanne though as I couldn't figure out your song title abbreviations).

I'm thrilled Hanke is doing well. Can't wait to see him. I saw Luther Creek in URINETOWN and he was just plain awful. I'd be interested to see him as Roger. Maybe the role of Bobby Strong just wasn't for him.
"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
Updated On: 9/29/06 at 01:54 AM
orangeskittles Profile Photoorangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Rent Sept 28th 8pm#2
Posted: 9/29/06 at 2:02am
Is it true Andy Senor is back in the show? Someone told me that the other day, but I haven't been able to find any sort of confirmation online. It would make my week if it were true.

TMOLM- Take Me Or Leave Me
GL- Goodbye Love
OTM- Over the Moon
Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how
Updated On: 9/29/06 at 02:02 AM
TabooWickedFan Profile PhotoTabooWickedFan Profile Photo
TabooWickedFan
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Rent Sept 28th 8pm#3
Posted: 9/29/06 at 7:54am
I'm sorry about the song titles it was just late and it seemed easier to abbriviate. And to answer the Andy Senor question. Yes he is back in the show. I saw him last night.
"But I relish every brillant inspired moment. This is who I'm determined to be- an actor/singer/dancer-no, I take that back, this is who I am. These people are my tribe, my destiny. I know it. -How I Paid for College; A story of sex, theft, friendship and musical theater.
mominthecty
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Rent Sept 28th 8pm#4
Posted: 9/29/06 at 9:03am
TWF
WOW had you really gone a year with out seeing RENT?!
Did you tell Chris Hanke that you were one of the people who liked IN MY LIfe?
Glad you had fun!! Great Review
LizzieCurry Profile PhotoLizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Rent Sept 28th 8pm#5
Posted: 9/29/06 at 1:01pm
In ICYR he was balling his eyes out

Wow! X-rated!
"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt
SweetQintheLights
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Rent Sept 28th 8pm#6
Posted: 9/29/06 at 1:58pm
I'm glad Justin Johnston is keeping up the great work. I saw him twice and he was my favorite.
He never lets anyone down re: Rent Sept 28th 8pm
"How bout a little black dress?"~hannahshule "I have a penis, not a vagina." ~munkustrap178
SirLiir Profile PhotoSirLiir Profile Photo
SirLiir
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Rent Sept 28th 8pm#7
Posted: 9/29/06 at 3:13pm
Glad to see the show is in great shape. But Luther Creek...yikes. My friend saw the show on Sunday and he cracked twice. Realllly bad. I still much prefer Tim Howar. Oh and does anyone else have a crush on Haven? I loved her Maureen!
Patronus Profile PhotoPatronus Profile Photo
Patronus
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Rent Sept 28th 8pm#8
Posted: 9/29/06 at 3:17pm
Wow! X-rated!

Lizzie wins again!

I'm glad Justin Johnston is keeping up the great work. I saw him twice and he was my favorite.
He never lets anyone down

Oh, that's not true. I thought he was horrible. In fact, I was so far down I thought I was in the video for "Justify My Love."

I'm curious who else you have seen in the role if he's your favorite?

Updated On: 9/29/06 at 03:17 PM
dancingthrulife04 Profile Photodancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Rent Sept 28th 8pm#9
Posted: 9/29/06 at 3:25pm
I'm glad you liked Chris. Can't wait to see him.

I found Destan Owens horribly flat and boring as Collins. Mark Richard Ford was definitely my favorite.
http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler
actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Rent Sept 28th 8pm#10
Posted: 9/29/06 at 3:26pm
Thanks for the review, TabooWickedFan.
Patronus
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Rent Sept 28th 8pm#11
Posted: 9/29/06 at 3:31pm
I agree dancing04, I thought Destan Owens was extremely boring. Phoning it in 100%.
yodamarie78 Profile Photoyodamarie78 Profile Photo
yodamarie78
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Rent Sept 28th 8pm#12
Posted: 9/29/06 at 3:40pm
Patronus, can you honestly say that there was anyone on the stage who wasn't phoning it in the last time you saw Rent?
Patronus
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Rent Sept 28th 8pm#13
Posted: 9/29/06 at 3:42pm
Yes, I can.

Colin Hanlon was fantastic as Gordon, The Man & Mr. Grey.

I don't think Matt Caplan was phoning it in either, although it is possible he was having some sort of psychotic episode or a seizure perhaps.

RentBoy86
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Rent Sept 28th 8pm#14
Posted: 9/29/06 at 4:04pm
Are there any pictures of Hanke in costume? I'm still pissed he's leaving the show so soon, maybe he'll be back. I was excited when I thought I could get to see him in Dec.
Patronus
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Rent Sept 28th 8pm#15
Posted: 9/29/06 at 4:09pm
re: Rent Sept 28th 8pm
RentBoy86
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Rent Sept 28th 8pm#16
Posted: 9/29/06 at 4:15pm
Thanks. I see they didn't change the hair.
Patronus
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Rent Sept 28th 8pm#17
Posted: 9/29/06 at 4:19pm
That is the only image I've seen on Hanke in costume.

I have heard that he is leaving in late November, which is good for me. I get in town on the 17th and I'd really like to catch him.
DRSisLove Profile PhotoDRSisLove Profile Photo
DRSisLove
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Rent Sept 28th 8pm#18
Posted: 9/29/06 at 5:25pm
"I'm glad Justin Johnston is keeping up the great work. I saw him twice and he was my favorite.
He never lets anyone down"

He was god awful when I saw him. Couldn't keep his voice high. Biggest dissapointment ever.
RentBoy86
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Rent Sept 28th 8pm#19
Posted: 9/29/06 at 5:33pm
Yeah, oh well, maybe he'll return to RENT in June or July of next year, that way I could possibly see him.
jacobp
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Rent Sept 28th 8pm#20
Posted: 9/29/06 at 6:37pm
Updated On: 11/23/06 at 06:37 PM
WickedRentBoy Profile PhotoWickedRentBoy Profile Photo
WickedRentBoy
Swing
Swing
re: Rent Sept 28th 8pm#21
Posted: 10/5/06 at 2:09pm
Do we know who is replacing Destan Owens?

I really want to see Hanke as Mark. I've seen a couple of videos of him and I like the way he sounds- very genuine.

I am not really pleased with the Mimi currently... she just doesn't compare to Antonique Smith. Hopefully I'll enjoy her anyways.

Page: 1