Avenue Q Breaks Record with 1,296th Performance

JamesMacon Profile PhotoJamesMacon Profile Photo
JamesMacon
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yay for Avenue Q! It has become the longest running show at the Golden Theater. I hope it lasts at least another 1,296 performances!
SweetQintheLights
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I was just going to post that!

Go Q!!! That show is better than life itself!
"How bout a little black dress?"~hannahshule "I have a penis, not a vagina." ~munkustrap178
COOOOLkid
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm really surprised it has lasted this long!
"Hey, you! You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" -Family Guy
SweetQintheLights
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"I'm really surprised it has lasted this long!"

I'm not even going to ask why but please, if you can't say something positive, don't say anything at all.

I find this show absolutely brilliant and it relates to everyone in some way or another!
"How bout a little black dress?"~hannahshule "I have a penis, not a vagina." ~munkustrap178
Luckydave14
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I don't think COOOOLkid's response is totally negative. I mean, many fans of the show probably thought the show wouldn't last that long. It is not exactly your typical Broadway show and it could've had it's run and closed within a year or so. But I'm happy for the show and everyone involved that it has stuck around.
SDav 10495 Profile PhotoSDav 10495 Profile Photo
SDav 10495
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
That may not have been a negative comment...people say that about shows they love all the time. A recent example, Inishmore--when it was announced that it was closing, people who saw and loved the show said they were surprised it lasted as long as it did. Avenue Q was (is) a small show, so I think it's perfectly normal that someone would be surprised at the length of its Broadway run so far. Then again, I have no idea what the poster's intention was with that comment--he could well be an Avenue Q hater, who knows--but it wasn't necessarily meant to be snide.

EDIT: Yeah, Luckydave beat me to it.

Anyway, congrats to Q! Keep it up. re: Avenue Q Breaks Record with 1,296th Performance

"If there is going to be a restoration fee, there should also be a Renaissance fee, a Middle Ages fee and a Dark Ages fee. Someone must have men in the back room making up names, euphemisms for profit." (Emanuel Azenberg)
Updated On: 9/8/06 at 06:29 PM
SweetQintheLights
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ok- I agree, the comment may not have been totally negative and I may have interpreted it wrong. If that is the case, I appoligize.

However, with some of COOOOLkid other posts, I wouldn't be surprised if this was meant to be negative.
adamgreer Profile Photoadamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I don't tihnk it was at all meant to be negative, and I actually agree with it. I figured it would be around a couple of years, then fade away. And there's nothing wrong with that. Now, I think it has another couple of years in it!
CyCoSpAz2 Profile PhotoCyCoSpAz2 Profile Photo
CyCoSpAz2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Congratulations Avenue Q!
thevolleyballer
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I agree with COOOOLKid. I figured it would have its popular run, but would then close after the original puppetteers has left, much like with Dirty Rotten Scoundrels and Butz and Pryce/Lithgow. I'm so happy it's still around!

Congratulations to the Q cast and creative team! Here's to another 1,296!
Updated On: 9/8/06 at 07:00 PM
matt schneider
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I am surprised and happy. To Q and to many more amazing shows,
The bushes of Tex were nervous recks because their son was dim, But look what happened to him~Dirrty Rotten Scoundrels~all about Ruprecht They say the thoughtful musicals dead on broadway~forbiden broadway : SVU~The crime scene Never say never, there's always one more person you can hit up~avenue Q.~the money song Life sucks, get a pacifyer~my own saying
bwayondabrain
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
yay for AVENUE Q and its amazing cast (especially Mary Faber whom i love very much)
but yeah, congragulations on the amazing run so far!

:)
bare_nakedlady Profile Photobare_nakedlady Profile Photo
bare_nakedlady
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Does anyone know where to find out the longest running shows at each theatre? That would be cool to know.

Oh yeah, and GO Q! re: Avenue Q Breaks Record with 1,296th Performance
"It's like children's theatre for 40-year old gay people!" - XANADU THE MUSICAL
WalkOn
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I'm surprised that it has run this long too. You really never can tell what will hit with the public or not. So congrats to the producer and creators of AVE. Q... may they have another 1,296 performances.
Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart; and you'll never walk alone.
WhoPaintedTheKitten? Profile PhotoWhoPaintedTheKitten? Profile Photo
WhoPaintedTheKitten?
Understudy
Understudy
*puts up hand* I'm also surprised- in a good way!! I thought it'd be like once people have got over the idea of seeing puppets swearing and having sex, then they'd get bored and all forget about it! And it seems like EVERYBODY has seen it! But its still new to some people (I've only known about this show for about 4mths) and those who have seen it, see it again and again!
"...if you rearrange the letters in the word unemployed, it spells OPPORTUNITY!" - Gary Coleman, Ave. Q
Mr.  Tuttle Profile PhotoMr.  Tuttle Profile Photo
Mr. Tuttle
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
So glad SweetQ had deemed herself "tone judger of all posts".
Ignorance is temporary. Stupidity last forever. Watch out BWW... HE'S BACK.
theaterdude87 Profile Phototheaterdude87 Profile Photo
theaterdude87
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I can honestly say I was pissed when it won best musical. But then I went to see it (in Vegas) yeah I know...not bway but it was pretty equivalent. Anyway....I totally think it should have wn over Wicked....I am not suprised it has run this long...it will run for a lot longer and boost many new bway people's careers.
for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/
mominator Profile Photomominator Profile Photo
mominator
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
A great BIG CONGRATS to Q!!!!!
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien
arishmoof Profile Photoarishmoof Profile Photo
arishmoof
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Im surprised too, honestly, just cause of the temporary nature of some of the material- and because so many shows that raise that much attention that quickly often fizzle out. but "George Bush is only for now" will never stop being funny i suppose! besides, who didnt watch sesame street as a kid? hooray for the Q!
you may know what you need but to get what you want better see that you keep what you have
broadwaystar2b Profile Photobroadwaystar2b Profile Photo
broadwaystar2b
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm so proud of them. That's a huge honor re: Avenue Q Breaks Record with 1,296th Performance
mr14 Profile Photomr14 Profile Photo
mr14
Understudy
Understudy
What show was the previous record holder?
James885 Profile PhotoJames885 Profile Photo
James885
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Congratulations to Avenue Q! I hope it continues to run for years to come.
"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible
broadwaystar2b Profile Photobroadwaystar2b Profile Photo
broadwaystar2b
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I believe it was Angel Street starring Vincent Price
Corine2 Profile PhotoCorine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Congratulations to my favorite Broadway show of all time.
It does not suck to be you.
Yay, Jeff Marx and Robert Lopez.
Congrats to Jen Barnhart, John Tartaglia, Rick Lyon, Ann Harada and Stephanie D'Abruzzo for making Q, the little show that could!
re: Avenue Q Breaks Record with 1,296th Performance

Additionally, congrats to Amyee and Barrett for making it very special.
Updated On: 9/9/06 at 01:03 AM
Wanna Be A Foster Profile PhotoWanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Corine! You left out Natalie! She was my favorite part of the original cast.

I *love* Q! YEEHAW that we have such a rockin' show on Broadway! re: Avenue Q Breaks Record with 1,296th Performance

I think what's really kept Q going at the box office is its awesome marketing campaign. I love the ad with Lucy the Slut in bed with Will Chase on the top of taxi cabs. re: Avenue Q Breaks Record with 1,296th Performance HOT!
"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
Updated On: 9/9/06 at 03:19 AM