Check out who just won Pop (American) Idol..

JakeB
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Check out who just won Pop (American) Idol..

One of the biggest news stories this week in Britain is the new winner of Pop Idol, aka the British American Idol. There was a lot of media coverage for two reasons - 1, the guy who should have won didn't because it was rigged, and 2, she's - SHOCK HORROR! - fat.

A lot of the judges argued that she couldn't win Pop Idol because she was fat, but Simon Cowell backed her the whole way and said it didn't matter that she was fat. Which I guess it doesn't, but if you look at Britney, Madonna, Justin Timberlake, etc (aka, real Pop Idols) they do massive dance routines and stuff - this winner can ONLY sing ballads and powerful solo numbers - she can never do anything poppy or fun because it just doesn't suit her.. which is why I don't think she's a pop idol. A good singer and good performer, but not 'pop idol'. (and I'm not being size-ist at all, I just genuinely don't think she'll last long in the music industry - she definitely won't break America)

TheaterBaby Profile PhotoTheaterBaby Profile Photo
TheaterBaby
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
hmmm, perhaps someone should let Aretha Franklin know before she makes a fool of herself like this girl. Oh, wait, that's right...Aretha is a huge star. Well, at least let Marissa Jaret Winokur know she'll never make it on Broadway...oops, silly me again.
"It's the little things; the details, that distinguish the Barbra Streisands from the Rosalyn Kinds."~Gilmore Girls~
iflitifloat Profile Photoiflitifloat Profile Photo
iflitifloat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'd buy her damn CD just on principle, and might find I love her talent as much as I love Aretha's.

BTW, do we *know* that she can't dance?
Sueleen Gay: "Here you go, Bitch, now go make some fukcing lemonade." 10/28/10
orion59 Profile Photoorion59 Profile Photo
orion59
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Well, we all know that physical beauty and weight have a direct corralation to talent. Look at all those stunningly georgeous, slender women who have made it to star status in music. The far outnumber the not so pretty or heavy girls.
http://www.danperezgallery.com
mebice Profile Photomebice Profile Photo
mebice
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Just wondering...where have you been? Have you seen our American Idol this year? Ruben is a large man...and Clay is supposedly a geek. They have great voices. And by the way..don't get me started about Britany. She can't sing, and everybody knows that. So, I wouldn't suggest putting a real singer in the leagues of Britany, it's not fair to Britany. She can't keep up. I know she is an entertainer...she doesn't entertain me..but then again her "assets" don't get my attention. Yeah....it must suck to be Aretha...to not be an entertainer because of her weight...jeez. Are you kidding me? Theatrebaby..I loved your post...you made me smile.
"Hold up your head. Never be afraid to shine. Viva la difference in my body and my mind. All out with loneliness Such a waste of time. Come in from the outside" ~ Taboo
newyorkuniq Profile Photonewyorkuniq Profile Photo
newyorkuniq
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
yikes......she's got a face for radio.
Phantom2 Profile PhotoPhantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
You people really need to think before you post. She won, you didn't. Enough said.
"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher
broadwayguy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
You didn't hear Phantom??? YOu have to be a size 0 and look like you have been nipped and tucked and then air-brushed to high heaven in order to be cute..

Geez people.. you guys are RUDE! leave the poor girl alone
newyorkuniq Profile Photonewyorkuniq Profile Photo
newyorkuniq
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Phantom 2 are you a personal friend of hers or something? Hey it would be kinda hard to win a British Show in the US
broadwayguy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Phantom is a personal friend of mine...... dunno about if he knows her or not....
Phantom2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I must have missed that memo. Do I think you're pretty cool, yes.
Anyway, no she is not a person friend of mine. Why don't you all re-read what you just wrote.
"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher
BwayTheatre11
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What about Ruben? He is just a little over weight. Anyhow, she can have backup dancers while she sings to add some excitement.
CCM '10!
broadwayguy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"I must have missed that memo"
**pouts**

"Do I think you're pretty cool, yes"
WooHoo!!

LOL
orion59 Profile Photoorion59 Profile Photo
orion59
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Guys, I think most of these posts were meant as a sarcastic way to make fun of the idea that someone has to be beautiful and thin to be talented. At least, that's what my post meant. I was making sarcastic reference to the fact that some of the greatest female musical legends have been women who were/are less than physically perfect and slender. Think Aretha, Barbra (slender but not beautiful), Cass Elliot, Bette Midler,
Ella fitzgerald, Besse Smith, Ethel Merman...the list goes on. Now think how few georgeous skinny girls have reached legend status. Not quite as many.

If it makes it easier, maybe from now on we should include in our posts the Webster's definition of sarcasm re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Check out who just won Pop (American) Idol..
http://www.danperezgallery.com
TheaterBaby
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
For the record, my post was definitely sarcastic. I see a few people realized that...too bad others didn't. Thank you to those who are quick witted. re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Check out who just won Pop (American) Idol..
"It's the little things; the details, that distinguish the Barbra Streisands from the Rosalyn Kinds."~Gilmore Girls~
Amneris Profile PhotoAmneris Profile Photo
Amneris
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
she looks like a british Kathy Brier.
Phantom2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
That was not funny.

broadwayguy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I see NO resemblance.. Amneris... what did you do with your glasses???
Amneris Profile PhotoAmneris Profile Photo
Amneris
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
i gave them to ralphie after he shot his eye out with his red ryder bebe gun.
TheaterBaby
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
You'll shoot your eye out! You'll shoot your eye out!

lol I like when the kid gets his toung stuck to the metal poll. Hello, why didn't they just pour warm water on it. Then again, if they did that it wouldn't be as funny. re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Check out who just won Pop (American) Idol..
Crazy4MattMorrison52 Profile PhotoCrazy4MattMorrison52 Profile Photo
Crazy4MattMorrison52
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
i too think she looks like a bristish kathy brier
"gimme a bottle of bourbon and half a chicken and i'll conquer the world!"
Phantom2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
This happened to me once. Unfortunately, my canteen had prung a leak so I was stuck for about a 1/2 hour until out of the abyss, broadwayguy2 came to rescue me on his donkey.

MyNameInLights Profile PhotoMyNameInLights Profile Photo
MyNameInLights
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What's this lady's name?
"The stage is where I live and come alive and act out all the things that go on in my life. It's not just what I do for a living, it's my shrink and my love affair. No one in my life has ever or ever will kiss me on the mouth like this lover called my relationship with my performance."
broadwayguy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Check out who just won Pop (American) Idol.. Phantom, the only thing to do is jump over the moon, so climb on board!
Phantom2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
For a minute I thought you were Lady Godiva because you were nekkid!