Page: 1

Gay Athletes

MenzelManiac Profile PhotoMenzelManiac Profile Photo
MenzelManiac
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Gay Athletes#0
Posted: 6/9/06 at 4:01pm
Ok, so I'm 21, I'm gay, and I'm a hockey goalie. I've played since I was 10 and I find it to be one of the most fulfilling experiences in my life. I'm having a hard time having conversations with people who equate gay athletes as either legitimate athletes or see us simply as such a marginalized population that it doesn't amount to anything.

Why do you think it is that there are not more openly gay athletes, or why do you think that people don't take gay athletes seriously?
ILoveMyDictionary Profile PhotoILoveMyDictionary Profile Photo
ILoveMyDictionary
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Gay Athletes#1
Posted: 6/9/06 at 4:03pm
why isn't this on the off topic board?
JustAGuy Profile PhotoJustAGuy Profile Photo
JustAGuy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Gay Athletes#2
Posted: 6/9/06 at 5:14pm
Although this thread is on the wrong board...here's a link you might enjoy.
LINK
"Just a Guy. Your feelings are touching. I am gladdened by the thought that you will one day wind up 6 feet under as we all do." - MrRoxy ------ "I do not suggest you walk out the door onto a New York street with your vulnerable child part exposed and not protected..." - Jason Bennett
Elphaba Profile PhotoElphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Gay Athletes#3
Posted: 6/9/06 at 9:39pm
why has the thread not been moved to the other board?
It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956
gustof777 Profile Photogustof777 Profile Photo
gustof777
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Gay Athletes#4
Posted: 6/9/06 at 10:03pm
lol I love how people are in a panice because this is on the wrong board
RIP Natasha Richardson. ~You were a light on this earth ~
WhenURScrap Profile PhotoWhenURScrap Profile Photo
WhenURScrap
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Gay Athletes#5
Posted: 6/9/06 at 11:00pm
OH NO ITS THE END OF THE WORLD ... THE THREAD IS ON THE WRONG BOARD!!!! THE SKY IS FALLING ....

I'm sure he meant no harm...
freeadmission Profile Photofreeadmission Profile Photo
freeadmission
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Gay Athletes#6
Posted: 6/9/06 at 11:06pm
What I find funnier than the hullabaloo is that there are 380+ views on this thread and only 6 replies. Now THAT's funny.
M J R Profile PhotoM J R Profile Photo
M J R
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Gay Athletes#7
Posted: 6/10/06 at 12:59am
To answer your question, I think there aren't more out gay athletes because they're too afraid of retaliation from their own teammates, as well as the opposing teams....I just recently read an article on this...
"High time we made a stand and shook up the views of the common man" - Tears for Fears
EugLoven Profile PhotoEugLoven Profile Photo
EugLoven
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Gay Athletes#8
Posted: 6/10/06 at 2:09am
YOU KNOW WHAT YOU NEED TO DO? You need to read the script or see a production of the 2003 Tony Award-winning play "Take Me Out" directed by Joe Mantello. That'll answer billions of questions, and create a billion more.

Several several several issues arrise when considering gay athletes. And there is no cookie-cutter correct answer. "Coming-Out" stories are just as unique as "Coming-of-Age" stories.

Some of the concerns, however, can include a wide combination of any one of these things:

- Just like the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy in the armed forces, bringing up something that is to remain unspoken can damage or break team morale/comradery.

- Loss of masculinity, image, sex appeal, fanship

- If it compromises the team, loss of contract

- In America, atheletes are the heros of millions of little boys. The deconstruction of a "hero" by giving him a "fault" can be as deadly as Achille's Heel. Too much realism in a sport that is meant to take spectators away.

- Potential endangerment of athelete through retaliation.

- The list is endless.