Sweeny Todd or Drowsy Chaperone or Lestat

neilberl
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
Sweeny Todd or Drowsy Chaperone or Lestat#0
Posted: 5/10/06 at 3:45pm
I'm going to go to TKTS tomorrow to get tix for a show tomorrow night. What time do I need to show up at the booth tomorrow (a Thursday)?

Which show should I see? Currently in consideration are:
Lestat
Sweeney Todd
Drowsy Chaperone
Threepenny Opera
(assuming these are all there tomorrow night. I have seen most of the other shows on Broadway that interest me).

Thanks!
munkustrap178 Profile Photomunkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
In order:

Sweeney Todd
The Drowsy Chaperone
The Threepenny Opera
Lestat
"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson
being.jeremiah
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
In order?

1- The Drowsy Chaperone
2- Sweeney Todd
3- The Threepenny Opera
4- Lestat
catsuit
Stand-by
Stand-by
I'd put Sweeney Todd at the top of your priorities.
touchmeinthemorning
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
In order:

1. The Drowsy Chaperone
2. Threepenny Opera
3. Lestat
4. Sweeney Todd
"Fundamentalism means never having to say 'I'm wrong.'" -- unknown
WithoutATrace Profile PhotoWithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sweeney
Drowsy
Threepenny
Lestat
mijofly19
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Sweeney
Threepenny
Drowsy
Lestat
neilberl
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
My only concern with Sweeney is that I don't know the show at all... and I hear that I may need to know the show to understand this "updated" version. Is that true?

All_For_Laura Profile PhotoAll_For_Laura Profile Photo
All_For_Laura
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
You should be fine seeing it with no prior knowledge. As much as I love sweeney, I put Drowsy befored it, just because Sweeney is dark, and drowsy is a little lighter, and nonetheless neither can be missed.
...What happened next, was stranger still, a woman breathless and afraid, appeared out of the night, completely dressed in white. She had a secret she would tell, of one who had mistreated her. Her face and frightened gaze, my mind cannot erase...But then she ran from view. She looked so much like you...
doodlenyc Profile Photodoodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sweeney first. No question. It is a legendary piece performed by an extraordinary cast directed by a visionary.
Avoid Lestat unless you are one who wants to be able to say "I saw that flop!"

Chaperone and Threepenny are both worth seeing.
"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

Hanna from Hamburg Profile PhotoHanna from Hamburg Profile Photo
Hanna from Hamburg
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'd say Sweeney because it's a limited engagement with a stellar cast. Drowsy is a LOT of fun and the cast is also amazing, but will probably be around longer and (IMO) is less dependent on the current cast to have continued success.
". . . POP . . ."
WOSQ
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Lestat and Threepenny are duds. Skip them.

This production of Sweeney Todd is best seen when you're familar with different stagings of the piece. Yes, it got a host of rave reviews, and I am in the minority, but any number of people feel that like Alice B. Toklas' Oakland, there is no 'there' there. It feels like a show was crammed into a concept instead of it fitting nicely.

My feelings about Sweeney which are mine, are disputed by a lot of folks both on the Boards and elsewhere. I am of the feeling that this ought not be your or anyone's first production of Sweeney Todd.

I am happy to say that Drowsy Chaperone is clever, smart and funny. It is also the Tony favorite at this point. Deep it isn't, but it is well done and a whole lot of fun.

So I'd say there is no real choice among the four shows listed.

"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true. And that would be unacceptable." --Carrie Fisher
tgrabon Profile Phototgrabon Profile Photo
tgrabon
Stand-by
Stand-by
Sweeney Todd. DRwosy Chaperone if Sweeney is not available.
timmmmmmmmmy
EponineThenardier Profile PhotoEponineThenardier Profile Photo
EponineThenardier
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sweeney Todd, if not that then Lestat (it IS NOT as bad as many people are making it out to seem) give it a chance, you might like it.
umgeoboy Profile Photoumgeoboy Profile Photo
umgeoboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Drowsy Chaperone (without a question do not miss this show it is hysterical!)
The Threepenny Opera
Sweeney Todd

Lestat (havent seen so don't know)
"Judy Garland, Jimmy Dean, You tragedy Queen" ~ Taboo

"Watching a frat boy realize just what he put his d!ck in...ex's getting std's...schadenfruede" ~ Ave Q

"when dangers near, exploit their fear" ~ Reefer Madness the Musical
dirty rotten guy Profile Photodirty rotten guy Profile Photo
dirty rotten guy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I would see Threepenny just because it wont be around much longer and there is a good chance it will sell out pretty soon.

If not, I would say go with Sweeney. It is a fantastic show. If you go in knowing nothing, the surpises will be fresh. However, if you feel you may be a bit confused, just read a short summary on the internet and you will be fine.

Enjoy, and let us know about your pick! re: Sweeny Todd or Drowsy Chaperone or Lestat
"The hallmark of aristocracy is responsibility. Oh brother, that got me, that did me in!"
Updated On: 5/10/06 at 04:58 PM
millie_dillmount Profile Photomillie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Drowsy Chaperone
Sweeney
Toss up between Threepenny and Lestat
"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611
maybethistime
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
1-DROWSY
2-THREEPENNY
3-SWEENEY
and never see LESTAT.
Theatreboy49 Profile PhotoTheatreboy49 Profile Photo
Theatreboy49
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sweeney
3Penny
Chaperone (Only because chaperone will be there for a long time and 3penny closes in June)
Lestat (loved lestat but 3penny cast is too much better to pass up)
<------ Me and my friends with patti Lupone at my friends afterparty for her concert with audra mcdonald during the summer of 07.
"I am sorry but it is an unjust world and virtue is only triumphant in theatricle performances" The Mikado
kooky
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Going this weekend to see D.C. - - - -looking forward to it !
lilprima2b Profile Photolilprima2b Profile Photo
lilprima2b
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Sweeney, hands down. If it 's not available, Drowsy Chaperone is good too.
(It was the first time I'd seen the show, and I'd only listened to it once before, and I had no trouble understanding or enjoying it. It's amazing!)
"Sawyer, you're going out a youngster, but you've got to come back a star!"
joanna2
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
If you're getting discount tickets, you might as well see Lestat (well, Sweeney Todd, too, but anyway...) Lestat is DEFINITELY not as bad as people think. There's a lot of negativity on this board especially, as well as reviews, but I really enjoyed it!
The W.A.N.D
Understudy
Understudy
See Sweeney. It has by far the best cast.
tabbynyc
Stand-by
Stand-by
Both are excellent. Both are entirely different. I would see Sweeney, because Drowsy will be here longer.
Elphaba Profile PhotoElphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
not even close...SWEENEY!
It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956