Page: 1

Dukakis Heads 70 Girls 70 Cast

Yankeefan007
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Dukakis Heads 70 Girls 70 Cast#0
Posted: 3/2/06 at 3:19pm
"Olympia Dukakis will be making her debut in a Broadway musical, as will MGM movie alumnus Carleton Carpenter. Joining them will be Broadway musical pros Ronn Carroll ( Broadway debut: 1966); Carole Cook (the original 42nd Street); Bob Dishy (Broadway debut: 1960; Tony nominee for Sly Fox); George S. Irving (Broadway debut: 1949; Tony for Irene); Anita Gillette (Broadway debut: 1959; Tony nominee for Chapter Two); and Charlotte Rae (Broadway debut: 1952; Tony nominee for Pickwick and Morning, Noon and Night)."

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/98261.html
Updated On: 3/2/06 at 03:19 PM
melissa errico fan Profile Photomelissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Dukakis Heads 70 Girls 70 Cast#1
Posted: 3/2/06 at 3:20pm
Link, please.
popcultureboy Profile Photopopcultureboy Profile Photo
popcultureboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Dukakis Heads 70 Girls 70 Cast#2
Posted: 3/2/06 at 6:58pm
Can Dukakis sing? I saw her in a very bad play in London called Credible Witness and thought she was amazing, if underserved by the material. But I've never heard of her being a singer.
Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.
Mr Roxy Profile PhotoMr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Dukakis Heads 70 Girls 70 Cast#3
Posted: 3/2/06 at 8:15pm
This show deserves a full scale revival even Off Broadway if necessary

Love the score
Poster Emeritus
wexy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Dukakis Heads 70 Girls 70 Cast#4
Posted: 3/2/06 at 8:17pm
Where is my brain tonight? I thought to myself "What is Michael Dukakis doing in a musical?"
'Take me out tonight where's there's music and there's people and they're young and alive.'
Mr Roxy Profile PhotoMr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Dukakis Heads 70 Girls 70 Cast#5
Posted: 3/2/06 at 8:23pm
Now that is a funny idea
Poster Emeritus
fredric47
Understudy
Understudy
re: Dukakis Heads 70 Girls 70 Cast#6
Posted: 3/2/06 at 9:32pm
Olympia Dukakis as Ida Dodd in "70, Girls, 70." How my heart sunk when I heard the news. Here I was waiting for them to announce that the part was to be played by Angela Lansbury. I also would have liked Carol Lawrence, Florence Henderson, and a host of other classy leading ladies of a certain age, meaning in their 70's. But never Olympia Dukakis. Not only is she any thing but classy; but also she makes me nervous listening to her attempt at singing.
The year was 2000. York Theatre Company was honoring Kander and Ebb with their annual Oscar Hamerstein Award. Olympia was asked to sing "Only Love" from "Zorba." She was so off-key and under-rehearsed that she had to ask her piano accompanist to start over again after she had launched into the number.
I realize that the actress who originated this role, Mildred Natwick, was no great shakes as a singer either; but at least she was classy. Dukakis has always played tough broads. I don't think that interpretation will work in this part.
Although I originally planned to buy a full priced ticket to see this long awaited revival, I will now wait until Playbill on Line announces a reduced admission for the Encores production.
This is a show that I missed when it was originally done in 1971 in my hometown of Philadelphia because I was attending college out-of-state. I just happened to purchase the cut-out recording of the show on vinyl when it was for sale at Doubleday's on Fifth Avenue and 47th St. in 1973. As soon as I first heard the record, I fell in love with the Kander and Ebb delightful score.
Then I missed the 2000 Musicals at Mufti production at York Theatre Company because I waited too long to order a ticket. There the role of Ida was assigned to Jane Powell, whose personality is ideal for this part but her singing voice unfortunately is but a mere shadow of what it once was, although that doesn't matter so much in this part.
I would love to know what John Kander thinks of the Dukakis casting. My only other gripe is that Anita Gillette, whom I remember from only yesterday in the 1960's when she was an ingenue, is considered to be vintage enough to pass for her senior years. Say it ain't so. Realizing this makes me feel so much older than 53.
Updated On: 3/2/06 at 09:32 PM
fredric47
Understudy
Understudy
Please disregard#7
Posted: 3/2/06 at 9:35pm
Updated On: 3/2/06 at 09:35 PM