Page: 1

Audra McDonald to Bow at the MET in 2008-2009??

Barihunk Profile PhotoBarihunk Profile Photo
Barihunk
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Not to be outdone by La Cheno in 2009-2010, rumors are flying the La Audra (L'Audra? La McD?) will make her own debut at the MET the season prior.

La Cieca reports at www.parterre.com that Ms. McDonald will sing the role of Kitty Oppenheimer in John Adams' "Dr. Atomic" in the 2008-2009 season. McDonald has a tie to this piece as she premiered one of the arias from it at a NYPhil concert in 2004. If this turns out to be true, it will come as quite a shock as current kunst-diva Lorraine Hunt Lieberson was to sing the San Francisco premiere last year only to bow out due to health problems. Opera fans were clearly relishing the thought of her doing the MET premiere, but given her slew of recent cancellations, maybe the MET is leaning toward La McDonald instead. In any case, the opera was well received last year and whoever is cast, it will certainly be a musical highlight of that season.

Given that McDonald is currently featured prominently in Opera News On-line (Opera News is a Metropolitan Opera publication) with a web-journal of her rehearsals for the La Voix Humaine/Send Houston premiere, it's not too far-fetched to think the MET would be interested in having Ms. McDonald on their artist roster.

If you visit the link below you can also see La Cieca's report on La Cheno's 'closed' audition at the MET last week.

La Cieca
"When you're a gay man, you have to feel good about yourself when a urologist says, "Yeah. I pick you". - Happy Endings
Updated On: 2/28/06 at 12:27 PM
BobbyBubby Profile PhotoBobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I love John Adams. I hope this is true.
Barihunk
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Ditto Bobby. Love Adams. It's a complex and challenging work - a great vehicle for her talents as a singer and actress.
"When you're a gay man, you have to feel good about yourself when a urologist says, "Yeah. I pick you". - Happy Endings
Barihunk
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
More buzz on this today as word is also out that Chenoweth has indeed been signed to play Samira in "Ghosts of Versailles" in 2009-2010.

I'm sure they are pursuing McDonald more than ever after Lorraine Hunt-Lieberson's recent passing.

Playbill Article
Updated On: 8/14/06 at 04:37 PM
gustof777 Profile Photogustof777 Profile Photo
gustof777
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I hope so! I would be first in line
RIP Natasha Richardson. ~You were a light on this earth ~