Page: 1

Grey Gardens Flourishes - Extended at Playwrights Horizons Through April 9

Wanna Be A Foster Profile PhotoWanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
http://www.broadway.com/Gen/Buzz_Story.aspx?ci=525524

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/98174.html

Get your tickets now, guys! I saw this show last week and it is brilliant. Christine Ebersole gives the performance of her career; dramatic, touching, creepy, humorous, psychologically astounding. This is a show not to be missed. Looks like it has a commercial future ahead of it, but see it in this space if you can. It's a great, intimate venue and fits this show perfectly.

http://www.playwrightshorizons.com/
"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
Updated On: 2/27/06 at 03:26 PM
melissa errico fan Profile Photomelissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ebersole is amazing, but the show is a mess. However, it's worth seeing just for her performance.
danaonotlater
Stand-by
Stand-by
I completely agree with you completely melissa errico fan.
I saw it at the beginning of previews, so I will slightly forgive their technical difficulties and I will hope that they have improved the show somewhat. Christine Ebersole was brilliant, but I never felt that engaged with the show. The first act and the second act were so drastically different that I felt like I had missed something. The first act was beautiful but I found it to be slow. And then the second act, while definitely more lively and engaging was pretty crazy. It was the stronger of the two, but it lacks the flow I would have liked. Ebersole played her role(s) beutifully, but it was not enough to sustain me.

I would like to go see it in a few weeks to see what they have changed. Maybe it will make more sense then. Plus, I gotta show my Michael Potts love!
MargoChanning
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I agree. Ebersole is extraordinary, totally nailing the role of Little Edie, but the show itself is too disjointed and meanders too much. Frankly, I personally found Act One unnecessary (especially at 90 minutes long). While a bit of background on the two women is fine, I just don't think that there's enough story or character development to merit a whole act. Honestly, I think the show would be much better off using just Act II, with an occasional flashback scene to some of the material in Act I. There just isn't enough interesting material there to justify a nearly three hour running time (which is what it was when I saw it; I hear it's been cut down closer to two and half hours now). Ideally, I think if it were a 90 minute one act musical, it would make for a much stronger overall show.
"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney
wickedrentq Profile Photowickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Does anyone know if, since it's soldout there may not be rush seats--if there's any way to get tickets to this cheaper than full price?
"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli
ElphabaRose Profile PhotoElphabaRose Profile Photo
ElphabaRose
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Oh god, why? I saw it two weekends ago and seriously regretted it. As others have said, Ebersole was great, but the show was a mess. I thought that the first act was unneccesary and the second didn't really hold my interest. The show was really a waste of the talents of the amazing cast members (especially Ebersole, Gettlefinger, and Wilson).
Whatever happened to class?
Roninjoey Profile PhotoRoninjoey Profile Photo
Roninjoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
No, Margo! It's brilliant! Incredible! Genius! Superlative! We must never be reasonable (or honest) in our opinions about things. They can only be horrible or BRILLIANT!

No, I'm just kidding... I actually really want to see this.
yr ronin,
joey