Page: 1

Today's Birthdays 2/26

do_re_milla Profile Photodo_re_milla Profile Photo
do_re_milla
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Today's Birthdays 2/26#0
Posted: 2/26/06 at 12:58am
Wenceslas 2/26/1361 - 8/16/1419 German king (as Wenceslas IV, King of Bohemia); source mat'l

Victor Hugo 2/26/1802 - 5/22/1885 French poet, novelist and dramatist; Les Misérables - Notre Dame; Claire de Lune; The Law and the Man; Notre Dame; Les Misérables

William Frawley 02/26/1887 - Mar 3, 1966 performer; Brother of Paul Frawley - She's My Baby; Bye, Bye Bonnie (Ruby Keeler); She's My Baby (Bea Lillie, Irene Dunne, Clifton Webb, Mary Louise); orig 20th Century (Moffat Johnston, Eugenie Leontovich); tv's & films' My 3 Sons; I Love Lucy; High, Wide, and Handsome; Something to Sing About; 1939 The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (Mickey Rooney, Rex Ingram); The Farmer's Daughter (positively love this film); Roxie Hart (Ginger Rogers); Miracle on 34th Street

Robert Alda 02/26/1914 - 5/3/1986 Alphonso Giuseppe Giovanni Roberto D'Abruzzo [Birthname]; performer; father of Alan Alda - orig Guys and Dolls; Harbor Lights (Linda Darnell, Pat Harrington); What Makes Sammy Run?; My Daughter, Your Son (Vivian Vance, Dody Goodman); 1969 The Front Page (Helen Hayes, Dody Goodman, Peggy Cass, Bert Convy, Robert Ryan

Jackie Gleason 02/26/1916 - Jun 24, 1987 performer; father of Linda Mae Gleason, father-in-law of Jason Miller, grandfather of Jason Patric, husband of Genevieve Halford (1936 - 1970) divorced, Beverly McKittrick (1970 - 1974) divorced, Marilyn Taylor (1975 - 1987) his death - Keep Off the Grass; Artists and Models [1943]; Follow The Girls; Along Fifth Avenue (Carol Bruce, Nancy Walker); Take Me Along (Walter Pidgeon, Una Merkel, Valerie Harper, Robert Morse, s/b Ruth Warrick); tv's & film's The Jackie Gleason Show; The Honeymooners; Smokey and the Bandit 1, 2 & 3; Papa's Delicate Condition; Requiem for a Heavyweight; "The Life of Riley"; Gigot; The Hustler; Requiem for a Heavyweight; Papa's Delicate Condition; The Toy; Nothing in Common; Don't Drink the Water

Tony Randall 02/26/1920 - May 17, 2004 Leonard Rosenberg [Birthname]; Producer, Director, Performer; husband of Florence Gibbs Randall (1938-1992) her death, Heather Randall (1995 - 2004) his death; 2 children - 1947 Antony and Cleopatra; 1949 Caesar and Cleopatra; orig Inherit the Wind; Oh Captain!; UTBU [written by James Kirkwood, dir'd by Nancy Walker] (Margaret Hamilton, Thelma Ritter, Doris Rich, Tom Aldredge, Alan Webb) [SOMEBODY PLEASE MUSICALIZE THIS SHOW!]; M. Butterfly [replacement]; 1992 The Seagull (Ethan Hawke, Laura Linney, Tony Roberts, Jon Voight); 1993 Three Men on a Horse (Leslie Anderson, Jack Klugman, Jerry Stiller); 1995 Gentlemen Prefer Blondes; Judgment at Nuremberg; tv's & film's The Odd Couple; Pillow Talk; Send Me No Flowers; Lover Come Back; Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter?; "Mr. Peepers"

Betty Hutton 02/26/1921 performer - Two For The Show; Panama Hattie (Ethel Merman, Arthur Treacher, Betsy Blair, Lucille Bremer, Vera Ellen); Fade Out - Fade In [replacement]; Annie [replacement]; film's The Greatest Show on Earth

Margaret Leighton 2/26/1922 - 1/13/1976 English stage and film actress; wife of Max Reinhardt (1947 - 1955) divorced, Laurence Harvey (1957 - 1961) divorced, Michael Wilding (1964 - 1/14/1976) her death; performer - King Henry IV, Part I & II; 1946 Uncle Vanya; 1946 Oedipus Rex (Laurence Olivier, Ralph Richardson); 1946 The Critic; Separate Tables; orig The Night of the Iguana; 1967 The Little Foxes; film's The Elusive Pimpernel; The Sound and the Fury; The Madwoman of Chaillot; The Go-Between; Great Expectations

Bunny Briggs 02/26/1923 Are You With It? (Dolores Gray); Black and Blue

Elizabeth Owens 2/26/1928 performer; Wife of Gene Feist (1957 - 2005) her death; Off Broadway credits include Lorca's "Yerma" at Circle in the Square, Gertrude Stein's "Dr. Faustus Lights" with the Living Theater, the American premiere of Jean Genet's "The Maids" and over 30 productions at the Roundabout. National tours include "The Winslow Boy, "Driving Miss Daisy," "Me and My Girl" and "The Sound of Music" - The Lovers; Not Now, Darling; The Play's the Thing; film's Music Box; Music Box; Bonfire of the Vanities; The Newcomers; Mr. Deeds; Two Weeks Notice

Godfrey Cambridge 02/26/1933 - Nov 29, 1976 performer - Nature's Way; Purlie Victorious; How to Be a Jewish Mother (Molly Picon)

Marilyn Michaels 02/26/1944 perfirmer - Catskills on Broadway Freddie Roman)

Priscilla Lopez 02/26/1948 performer; prod'n - Breakfast at Tiffany's [never opened]; Henry, Sweet Henry; Her First Roman; 1972 Lysistrata; A Chorus Line; A Day in Hollywood / A Night in the Ukraine; Nine; Anna in the Tropics

Michael Cumpsty 02/26/1958 performer just saw him at Fairway on UWS this week - Artist Descending a Staircase; La Bête; Translations; 1997 1776; Copenhagen; 2001 42nd Street; Enchanted April; Democracy; 2005 The Constant Wife

SHOWS THAT OPENED ON THIS DATE:

1947 English actor Ben Webster died in Hollywood today. He appeared in acting companies with the likes of Henry Irving and Ellen Terry. He came to America in 1939. His last Broadway appearance was as Lord Montague in Romeo and Juliet with Laurence Olivier and Vivien Leigh. He was married to Dame May Whitty and father of director Margaret Webster.

1960 Burgess Meredith stages A Thurber Carnival with Thurber's sketches in words and cartoons. The cast includes Paul Ford, Peggy Cass, John McGiver, Alice Ghostley and Tom Ewell. It will run 16 weeks and re-open Sept. 5 for an additional 12 weeks.

1962 Oh Dad, Poor Dad, Mamma's Hung You in the Closet and I'm Feeling So Sad, stars Austin Pendleton as the poor son in this Arthur Kopit comedy. Jerome Robbins stages at the Phoenix Theatre for 454 performances.

1978 Ira Levi'n's Deathtrap opens today at the Music Box Theatre, staring John Wood, Victor Garber and Marian Seldes. It will go on to play 1,793 performances, the longest Broadway run ever for a murder mystery.

1989 Director-choreographer Jerome Robbins revisits his career as his Jerome Robbins' Broadway opens at Broadway's Imperial Theatre. The production features Jason Alexander runs through Sep 1, 1990.

ON THIS DAY IN:

1815 Napoleon Bonaparte escaped from the Island of Elba to begin his second conquest of France.

1999 Jose Quintero, the Panama-born director who won a Tony Award as Best Director for his Moon for the Misbegotten died of cancer in New York City at 74. Known for his revivals of works by Eugene O'Neill, he also directed Broadway productions of Long Day's Journey Into Night and The Iceman Cometh. On May 2, 2000 the Kaufman Theatre on 42nd Street was officially re-christened the Jose Quintero Theatre.

2003 With only a few days remaining until a March 2 contract expiration between their union and Broadway producers, Broadway pit musicians gather outside Broadway theatres to pass out literature explaining their grievances. Within days, they will go on strike.

(sources: IBDB, IMBD, NYT's ON THIS DAY, 440.com’s Those Were The Days, Playbill.com)

Milla
AlmostFamous Profile PhotoAlmostFamous Profile Photo
AlmostFamous
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Today's Birthdays 2/26#1
Posted: 2/26/06 at 10:07am
Thats ironic...I'm listening to Les Mis right noww
do_re_milla Profile Photodo_re_milla Profile Photo
do_re_milla
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend