My Barefoot Review-Spoilers

muscle23ftl Profile Photomuscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
My Barefoot Review-Spoilers#0
Posted: 2/18/06 at 7:39pm
I just went to see the revival of Barefoot in the Park. I had low expectations, not a big fan of non-musical plays. The first act was amazing. Amanda Peet, Patrick Wilson and the rest of the cast had great timing and were hilarious. Then there is a twist on the 2nd act, and it seems odd, the show is suddenly not funny anymore, and it turns sour. But the twist is leading to the conclusion of this amazing play by Neil Simon. Overall, amazing play, it brought me to tears at the end. Amanda Peet is a rising Hollywood star who proves more and more she is not only a pretty face. The whole cast was a delight. So was the show. Amazing play!!!
"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-
Updated On: 2/18/06 at 07:39 PM
Thesbijean
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: My Barefoot Review-Spoilers#1
Posted: 2/18/06 at 7:43pm
Well, it is good that SOMEONE loves Amanda Peet in this role, cause, I mean, at least one person statisitcally has to.

Glad you liked it though. What did you think of the sets?
beacon1
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: My Barefoot Review-Spoilers#2
Posted: 2/18/06 at 7:59pm
YEA! It's nice to know that audiences are enjoying what the critics did not.
Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket?

Patrick Wilson Fans --New "UnOfficial Fan Site". Come check us out!

Patrick Wilson Yahoo Group

Patrick Wilson Facebook Fan Page

broadwaygiant19122 Profile Photobroadwaygiant19122 Profile Photo
broadwaygiant19122
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: My Barefoot Review-Spoilers#3
Posted: 2/18/06 at 7:59pm
I too thought Amanda was wonderful, and I'm not a starstruck theater novice.
Dollypop
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: My Barefoot Review-Spoilers#4
Posted: 2/18/06 at 8:19pm
As most people know, I am not a movie fan. In fact, I HATE MOVIES!!!!!!!

Therefore, I have no preconceived notions of Amanda Peet and will view her performance objectively tomorrow.

Thank you very much.

Love,
Carla
"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)
pennylane2
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: My Barefoot Review-Spoilers#5
Posted: 2/18/06 at 8:19pm
i loved the play as well, i saw it before it opened but still had low expectations because I dont love plays. I thought it was really funny and everyone was great. Amanda was the weak link for me but she made up for it with being so adorable and having amazing chemistry with Patrick. I am even seeing it again-- is that lame? i thought it was really good.
Dollypop
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: My Barefoot Review-Spoilers#6
Posted: 2/18/06 at 8:24pm
One never has to apologize for seeing a Patrick Wilson performance more than once.

Thank you very much.
pennylane2
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: My Barefoot Review-Spoilers#7
Posted: 2/18/06 at 9:12pm
haha-- well thats good to know. he is great in the play, him and jill are my favorites, LOVE them.
Alix7272 Profile PhotoAlix7272 Profile Photo
Alix7272
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: My Barefoot Review-Spoilers#8
Posted: 2/18/06 at 11:03pm
Overall, I enjoyed this production and thought Patrick Wilson and the rest of the cast did a wonderful job. The highlight for me was the last scene when, for the first time, I completely felt the emotional urgency of the story.

I was disappointed by Amanda Peet. Did you notice that she was screaming the whole time? - from her first line to the end of the play. You get used to it a little bit, but it remains annoying. The other actors projected nicely, while Amanda projected by screaming. Lines that she was actually supposed to yell to someone offstage, therefore, didn't sound any different. That was my main complaint about her. It obscured the rest of her performance and probably clouded some moments that could have been great if she was more soft-spoken. She also delivered some of her lines a little flatly.
No Child: http://www.epictheatrectr.org/
I Love You Because OCR: http://www.psclassics.com/cd_iloveyou.html
SueleenGay Profile PhotoSueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: My Barefoot Review-Spoilers#9
Posted: 2/18/06 at 11:51pm
So from what I gather from your gigantic "SPOILERS" they opted for the alternate ending where Corrie OD's on acid and Paul jumps out the window?
PEACE.
beacon1
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: My Barefoot Review-Spoilers#10
Posted: 2/19/06 at 11:48am
LOL, Sueleen, L O L!

muscle23ftl
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: My Barefoot Review-Spoilers#11
Posted: 2/19/06 at 12:05pm
it is true that Amanda screams...but i was on the balcony and i was glad i could hear everything she said. Her diction was great. As an actor you have to be very loud to be heard all over the theatre, but, yeah...Alix you are right, she does scream all the time. I think it worked for the kind of charachter she is portrating. Maybe Amanda wasn't the best actress ever, but she was funny, and she was giving her 100% on that stage.
The theatre was completely packed and the audience and everyone at the stage door was very pleased with the show.
"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-
pennylane2
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: My Barefoot Review-Spoilers#12
Posted: 2/19/06 at 12:24pm
how many people were at the stage door-- did everyone come out and sign.. LOVE the show.. i cant wait to see it again-- thats interesting that you hear amanda well up there, i do think she screams but i was in the front.
muscle23ftl
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: My Barefoot Review-Spoilers#13
Posted: 2/19/06 at 12:32pm
Amanda does scream, no doubt about it. But also she is playing Corie and Corie seems like a girl who would walk barefoot in the park in February and who would be loud as well. So it worked, i think. Most of the actors come out after matinees, there was a huge crowd at the stage door and Patrick and everyone else were very nice. It was extremely cold, so i was amazed they actually took pics and signed for everyone. Amanda and Jill didn't come out after the matinee, but Amanda was very sweet, she was in a hurry and i don't blame her, because it was abut 13 degrees.
Updated On: 2/19/06 at 12:32 PM
pennylane2
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: My Barefoot Review-Spoilers#14
Posted: 2/19/06 at 1:11pm
awww yayyy and i love your quote i think its so true.. is that a picture with liza minelli?
jimmirae Profile Photojimmirae Profile Photo
jimmirae
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: My Barefoot Review-Spoilers#15
Posted: 2/19/06 at 1:39pm
Be careful of that picture Muscle, Once it hits the Enquirer you'll have to marry Minnelli!!
"It is bad enough that people are dying of AIDS, but no one should die of ignorance." - Elizabeth Taylor
Dollypop
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: My Barefoot Review-Spoilers#16
Posted: 2/19/06 at 10:49pm
Saw BAREFOOT this afternoon and absolutely ;oved it. Yes, Amanda does scream, but it's because she lacks real vocal training. I have a feeling that when she's been playing the role for a while, she'll actually be giving a solid performance.

Patrick Wilson is giving an incredibly fine performance. He's marvelous at delivering Simon's one-liners.

I'll be seeing this play again.
Alix7272
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: My Barefoot Review-Spoilers#17
Posted: 2/20/06 at 1:56am
I would also be curious to see it again and see how Amanda grows into the role. You can tell that it's training she lacks that leads to her screaming as opposed to projecting, and you can also tell that she is giving her 100%. It's true that Corie could be a loud character, but I felt that she was doing more than being loud to the point where I had to work past that in order to find her endearing at points.
Roninjoey Profile PhotoRoninjoey Profile Photo
Roninjoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: My Barefoot Review-Spoilers#18
Posted: 2/20/06 at 2:05am
You hate movies?

How sad ;_;

Nice to see a good review. Perhaps I shall see it.
yr ronin,
joey
muscle23ftl
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: My Barefoot Review-Spoilers#19
Posted: 2/20/06 at 2:48am
tnks, i hope you do.
Alix7272
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: My Barefoot Review-Spoilers#20
Posted: 2/20/06 at 8:17pm
It was definately enjoyable.
Dollypop
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: My Barefoot Review-Spoilers#21
Posted: 2/20/06 at 8:46pm
I think we should have a BroadwayWorld.Com agreement that no one should write barefoot reviews. Everyone must be appropriately shod when writing a review.

Love,

Carla
muscle23ftl
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: My Barefoot Review-Spoilers#22
Posted: 2/21/06 at 3:23am
sorry, but what is "shod" ? and why shouldn't we review shows? i think any BWW user has as much credibility as Brantley or anyone else. By the way, there is a woman that writes for USA today, she was so mean to Amanda Peet and the entire cast, I'd say rude.
beacon1
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: My Barefoot Review-Spoilers#23
Posted: 2/21/06 at 9:16am
LOL, Dollypop was making a joke. "Shod" means wearing shoes. He was saying that no one should be in barefeet when they write a review.

And, yes, some of the reviewers have been quite ruthless to Amanda.

Dollypop
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: My Barefoot Review-Spoilers#24
Posted: 2/21/06 at 12:31pm
Were those reviewers barefoot or shod. It makes a difference, you know.