Sidd the Musical @ Dodger Stages

myManCape Profile PhotomyManCape Profile Photo
myManCape
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sidd the Musical @ Dodger Stages#0
Posted: 2/12/06 at 9:18pm
Has anyone heard anything about this? I found the website by mistake and the music sounds good.

http://www.siddthemusical.com/
"Have they come yet?"
bwaysinger Profile Photobwaysinger Profile Photo
bwaysinger
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Sidd the Musical @ Dodger Stages#1
Posted: 2/12/06 at 9:36pm
I had a friend in an off-broadway workshop production of this musical a few years ago. IT was very much a Buddhist version of Superstar. I was underwhelmed. I'm a bit surprised, actually, that the show has moved to Dodger Stages although I suppose it's fair to say they truly did make some positive changes
Thesbijean
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Sidd the Musical @ Dodger Stages#2
Posted: 2/12/06 at 9:46pm
I have only heard mixed things about it
everythingtaboo Profile Photoeverythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Sidd the Musical @ Dodger Stages#3
Posted: 3/4/06 at 11:13pm
I ran screaming at the intermission. And I NEVER do that. There's some good talent there, but the show is just not good.

Then again, I didn't hate Ring of Fire. So take it as you will.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008
hushpuppy Profile Photohushpuppy Profile Photo
hushpuppy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Sidd the Musical @ Dodger Stages#4
Posted: 3/5/06 at 1:03am
I found the show to have a great deal of charm, some engaging songs, and excellent performances. Not the greatest show I've ever seen, but I'm not sorry I went and not sorry I stayed for the whole show
'Our whole family shouts. It comes from us livin' so close to the railroad tracks'
broadwaybum
Swing
Swing
re: Sidd the Musical @ Dodger Stages#5
Posted: 3/5/06 at 1:44am
I saw it and loved it. It has great music and I think it is a great mix of real talent. I am probably going again next week with a friend.
JingleBelle Profile PhotoJingleBelle Profile Photo
JingleBelle
Swing
Swing
re: Sidd the Musical @ Dodger Stages#6
Posted: 3/7/06 at 12:53am
Never posted before, but I have a question. I have tickets for "Sidd the Musical" Wednesday night, but I just heard they fired all the leads. Can anyone confirm?
"Aruba, Jamaica ooo I wanna take you to Bermuda, Bahama come on pretty mama."
jacobtsf Profile Photojacobtsf Profile Photo
jacobtsf
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Sidd the Musical @ Dodger Stages#7
Posted: 3/7/06 at 9:24am
They did not officially fire the leads. They 'replaced' the lead with the man who orriginated the role and the female-lead 'departed the show' so the understudy is taking over.
David walked into the valley With a stone clutched in his hand He was only a boy But he knew someone must take a stand There will always be a valley Always mountains one must scale There will always be perilous waters Which someone must sail -Into the Fire Scarlet Pimpernel
JingleBelle
Swing
Swing
re: Sidd the Musical @ Dodger Stages#8
Posted: 3/9/06 at 1:02am
So I saw the show tonight. The house was largely papered and overly enthusiastic. I hate that, so my experience wasn't a great one. The ensemble is great (and as someone earlier posted, "charming") and very talented and everyone has their turn in the spotlight - Marie Arcillla, Dann Fink and Gerry McIntyre stand out - and the new leads did fine for just having taken over a few days ago (I can't imagine!). The show is another story - "Siddhartha" is a wonderful book and its minimized here to a cruise ship show level - broad comedy and anything for a laugh. This is one of the great journey of discovery stories and it's adapted like a sitcom. I didn't care for the choreography either - unimaginative, very basic jazz steps. Creatively the show was quite amatuerish. I left having laughed some, but feeling sad that I didn't get to see or feel anything related to Hesse's "Siddhartha."
everythingtaboo Profile Photoeverythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Sidd the Musical @ Dodger Stages#9
Posted: 3/9/06 at 8:06pm
I was there last night too. I went back, only because I love Manu Narayan and was interested in seeing how we would change the show. Although I was prepared to run screaming one more time...the good news is that Manu changes the show immensely. Sidd is immediately a stronger character, more fleshed out, than the previous actor. There is enthusiasm in the role, and it seemed to permeate to the rest of the cast, and everything moved at a more rapid pace. Act One is not as interminable, and Manu has great chemistry with the other new actress. And since I did stay for Act Two, I have to say it had potential, and actually some real nice moments. And genuine laughs! I'm not familiar with the source material, regrettably, so I can't compare. As theatre though, it could've done with some major truncating of songs, the straight Fosse-ripoff choreography (which unfortunately, left half the audience stifling laughter). And the book is what it is, for better or worse. But it does get better in the second act. Was I moved. No. Was I entertained. Yeah, I guess.

It's not a rave, but it's hardly the plodding disaster I saw last week. I guess that's what previews are for.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008
Jane2 Profile PhotoJane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Sidd the Musical @ Dodger Stages#10
Posted: 3/9/06 at 9:54pm
the show is getting better feedback as changes are being made. Especially after firing the male lead. It's a great show for students!
<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES
JingleBelle
Swing
Swing
re: Sidd the Musical @ Dodger Stages#11
Posted: 3/10/06 at 12:34am
I agree with a lot of what you said Taboo. I didn't want to say it so bluntly yesterday, but the choreography in the show was indeed laughable. But not as laughable as the final song, which is a clap-along and sing-along. People around me were clapping along but obviously making fun of the show, and I felt terrible for the cast. The actors all looked embarassed at that moment and that's the image I left the theatre with. Took me right back to my Jean Ann Ryan days on a cruise ship. For the casts' sake I do hope they make some cuts and start with clap-along ending.
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Sidd the Musical @ Dodger Stages#12
Posted: 3/10/06 at 10:44pm
"The house was largely papered and overly enthusiastic."

How do you know it was largely papered?
magic8ball Profile Photomagic8ball Profile Photo
magic8ball
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Sidd the Musical @ Dodger Stages#13
Posted: 3/11/06 at 2:58am
It was. Over-papered, actually. They had to turn people away at the door.

Anyway, I liked the show much more than I thought that I would. The new cast in much better. The material has a LOT of strong points in it. The scenic design is appropriate and well-done for the most part. It needs to clean up a bit before it opens, though. A lot of material from the second act can be cut... many of the songs just drag on. I'd recommend it, though. Very "Once on This Island".
"Goodness is rewarded. Hope is guaranteed. Laughter builds strong bones. Right will intercede. Things you've said I often find I need, indeed. I see the world through your eyes. What's black and white is colorized. The knowledge you most dearly prized I'm eager to employ. You said that life has infinite joys."
munkustrap178 Profile Photomunkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Sidd the Musical @ Dodger Stages#14
Posted: 3/11/06 at 3:35am
I had no desire until I heard Manu had joined the cast. (My friends and I still call him Akash.) He is a truly, wonderfully talented man that deseves every ounce of his success. I adore him.
"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson
Mr Roxy Profile PhotoMr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Sidd the Musical @ Dodger Stages#15
Posted: 3/11/06 at 9:11am
I will take a pass on this one. No interest in this one at all
Poster Emeritus
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Sidd the Musical @ Dodger Stages#16
Posted: 3/11/06 at 10:56am
FYI-the show's sold out this weekend. not papered.
Roninjoey Profile PhotoRoninjoey Profile Photo
Roninjoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Sidd the Musical @ Dodger Stages#17
Posted: 3/11/06 at 11:30am
I like Hesse... I like Manu... interested.

Music sounds baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad though.
yr ronin,
joey
Updated On: 3/11/06 at 11:30 AM
JingleBelle
Swing
Swing
re: Sidd the Musical @ Dodger Stages#18
Posted: 3/11/06 at 11:48am
Jane2, I know the show was papered when I saw it, because the group of four in front of me and the couple next to me were all together and talking about how they wondered if "they were ever gonna paper," and how glad they were to see it for free. Tonight may be indeed be sold out. Great for the actors. Papered or sold, actors always prefer full houses. Are you involved in the show? It sure seems like you might be.
Roninjoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Sidd the Musical @ Dodger Stages#19
Posted: 3/11/06 at 11:50am
Oh, put the shill alert away.
yr ronin,
joey
JingleBelle
Swing
Swing
re: Sidd the Musical @ Dodger Stages#20
Posted: 3/11/06 at 12:08pm
Sorry. Just a question - no harm meant. (New to posting). Thanks for the tip.
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Sidd the Musical @ Dodger Stages#21
Posted: 3/12/06 at 12:36pm
Jingle belle-No, I'm not involved in the show. Whether or not it does well doesn't impact my life in any way. I asked because I do know if it's papered or not and I always wonder how others claim to have this knowledge. thanks for clarifying.
Roninjoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Sidd the Musical @ Dodger Stages#22
Posted: 3/12/06 at 12:41pm
Ah okay, sorry. I took you wrong.
yr ronin,
joey
JingleBelle