Page: 1

Michael Ball Not to Return to The Woman in White Before Closing

Irene3
Swing
Swing
https://www.broadwayworld.com/l.cfm?id=102502 Hopefully it will not be another long wait to see Michael Ball return to the Broadway stage. It is unfortunate that so many of us had tickets to the show and now will not see it, however I'm sure that he is just as disappointed as we are..he looked forward to playing a very different kind of role in a great play, and according to reviews in London, he did a great job taking over for Michael Crawford over there. He is truly a versatile actor (Patience was a great success for him - again playing a role that was so different than what he has done in the past), and needless to say his beautiful musical voice is utterly unique. He needs to become known here - he's been away far too long.
dancingthrulife04 Profile Photodancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
That's too bad.
http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler
Chrysanthemum62001
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I bet you anything it's going to be a *very* long time before Michael Ball comes back to Broadway. That is, if he ever does, again.
"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL
Lori
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
It will truly be a shame if it is a "long" time before Michael Ball returns to a Broadway stage. Fifteen years was way too long the first time. He was brilliant as Bunthorne in "Patience" and his Fosco was a pure joy to watch.

I'm very saddened by the closure of WIW for a number of reasons...there were brilliant performances on the stage of the Marquis...and Michael's should not be discounted because of his early departure. This show didn't die it was murdered...lack of publicity, lack of producer support...the cast illness' were just the nail in the coffin.
"Take Care! When I am thwarted I am very terrible!"
Myth8r
Swing
Swing
Lori, I couldn't agree more. The producers screwd this show up. The choice of theatre was WRONG, the complete lack of publicity was disgraceful and to blame illness is just insulting to a team of actors who still managed 8 shows a week. I will miss this show. Although I said it before, no-one really thought it would survive a year.
Michael Ball was a delight as Fosco but so was Norman Large who I managed to see twice. The show never suffered due to illness.
Here's to the cast of WIW finding better work and smarter producers.
NYLG Profile PhotoNYLG Profile Photo
NYLG
Understudy
Understudy
Even if the producers screwed up...I think Ball may have done himself in this time. JMHO
If you'd have been there...If you'd have seen it...I betcha you would have done the same! - CHICAGO
Chrysanthemum62001
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I feel like his talented was poorly used in WIW. I'm surprised that of all the shows he picked to come back to New York with, it was this one. I saw the show twice, and really liked it a lot. I didn't love it, and I didn't hate it.

And yes, Michael was FABULOUS in Patience. I saw it twice and he just sparkled on stage in that production. Maybe he will do more stuff with the NYC Opera.
"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL
Creative Lunatic
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Many posters are blaming the demise of this show on the producers. The lead producer is Sonya Friedman; sister to Maria.
I just think that the story behind the untimely demise of WIW has not been fully disclosed...
I really think the show deserved a longer run.
chernjam Profile Photochernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I think the Lead Producer in London was Sonia - I'm pretty sure it's that Brian Boyett guy who is the lead producer here (who, to set the record straight - was the guy who actually blamed the illness factor, not ALW. ALW wasn't quick to dismiss Boyett's claim, but rather agreed with it. This week Boyett claimed in the NY Post that it was because the audience had dwindled that the show closed -- thereby throwing ALW under the bus...)

I do agree though, I think there's more to the story here. My great fear is that Friedman might not have been able to return after her announced medical leave and that Kuhn could only have done the show for the 6 weeks she committed to. God I hope I'm wrong on that, but the amazing 180 they did on this one really has a lot of people scratching their heads....

As for Michael Ball, as much as I enjoyed the show Tuesday night, he was missed in my book. He really added an incredible dimension to the cast, and to the character of Count Fosco.

Maybe Crawford should have returned the favor and filled in for Ball?????? (JUST KIDDING - DON'T FLAME ME!!!)
Jim
Creative Lunatic
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
chernjam---You're right Boyett is listed first in Playbill and then Sonya Friedman. Yet, when I watched interview with Maria and Michael that was done on On Stage, Maria mentioned that her sister was producing this.Maria gave impression that Sonya was very invested in decision making.
You did pick up on my point about believing that given the familial connection here to the money people, I think we should hold off assuming that total incompetence is responsible for the premature closing notice.

LizzieCurry Profile PhotoLizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Who's playing Fosco in the meantime? Are they rotating the understudies?
"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt
jo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Broadway and New York will be the loser if they shut out Michael Ball's talent from its stages. He did get excellent reviews for PATIENCE and THE WOMAN IN WHITE ( despite the poor reviews for the show). Weren't we talking about a possible TONY nom for him here when the show opened?

It would be interesting for him to take his well-applauded one-man show called ALONE TOGETHER ( at the Donmar Warehouse) to New York. It is perfect for a small theatre where one can appreciate how well Michael tells the story of the life of a performer completely through song ( all hundreds of full, half- and bits-of songs)! Even VARIETY-London was very impressed with this show.

More power to you, Mr.Ball!

And get well soon - we want to hear your wonderful voice again!

Jo
Mr Roxy Profile PhotoMr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Saw Norman Large in the role & he was great. Wanted to see Ball but feel Large was just as good as Ball would have been
Poster Emeritus
kover22 Profile Photokover22 Profile Photo
kover22
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
My husband gave me ALONE TOGETHER for Christmas.... as I am a HUGE Michael Ball fan. This show is absolutely perfect. I would not want to see anyone else do it but Michael.
I agree with people when saying that I hope Michael doesn't stay away from Broadway. I didn't get to see him in WIW, I had plans for later in this month, but I did see him in PATIENCE and he was amazing.
He is a very versatile actor and an amazing singer...we need him back on broadway soon.
Health is most important though, he needs to get well first.
I have RSD...but it doesn't have me!!!!
amcchemist Profile Photoamcchemist Profile Photo
amcchemist
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
"Maybe Crawford should have returned the favor and filled in for Ball?????? (JUST KIDDING - DON'T FLAME ME!!!)"

Actually, I would have LOVED to see that happen, but obviously it wasn't going to. One of the reasons why MC turned down the role, according to him, was he feared getting ill again. Can't say I blame him. I really enjoyed MC's performance of Fosco, but, from what I have heard, I would have also enjoyed MB's as well. Just never got a chance to see it.